Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: why don't it start?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
Hi folks. I have the 3.2 installed and have run it a few times. Including a few days ago. Sounded fine. A bit oily, but it has not been exercised. Now the best it will do is run way up at about the tenth try. With the gas pedal down you can keep it running for a minute or so at about 3 grand. In fact I was almost getting it to smooth running - and then it quit and would not restart. I have had a few of the high rev successes, with the motor seeming to be running on the throttle signal. No idle and then it stops. sad.gif

OK it has an ecu but no error codes, and the ecu controls spark and fuel. I can hear the fuel pump running when the engine spins. I feel pretty helpless with nothing to tweak. I can go after fuel and spark, but if it isn't something like a coil, what do I do? I remember Wayne at the Bird complaining about fault finding with these motors, but I also thought they were pretty reliable. What changed? headbang.gif
wacko.gif dry.gif sad.gif

Helppp...
again. Thanks folks.
Shadowfax
A few guesses here: are you still running the single-wire CHT sensor? How is the DME relay? Fuel filter clogged?
My buddy's 1984 Carrera project had running issues and we changed the DME relay (do not get the URO brand). This helped some but what ultimately fixed his rough running was the upgraded two-wire CHT sensor and a new fuel filter. I think the sensor was probably good but the connector had almost completely disintegrated. The fuel filter had not been changed in a while...

Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(Shadowfax @ Jul 28 2016, 09:18 AM) *

A few guesses here: are you still running the single-wire CHT sensor? How is the DME relay? Fuel filter clogged?
My buddy's 1984 Carrera project had running issues and we changed the DME relay (do not get the URO brand). This helped some but what ultimately fixed his rough running was the upgraded two-wire CHT sensor and a new fuel filter. I think the sensor was probably good but the connector had almost completely disintegrated. The fuel filter had not been changed in a while...

Click to view attachment

Thanks and worth keeping in mind. Of course for me everything is new except the actual motor. Turned out to be an air leak. My son found it in two minutes. You put a cork in the intake rubber and it falls out - and you forgot you had ever put the cork in because you were worried about painting the doors. Sheesh. Is there an emoticon for stupid - I would use them by the gross. blink.gif
cary
Crank sensors too ....
porschetub
QUOTE(cary @ Jul 29 2016, 06:34 AM) *

Crank sensors too ....

agree.gif ,are you getting tach needle movement on cranking ?
Shadowfax
QUOTE(worn @ Jul 28 2016, 01:20 PM) *

Thanks and worth keeping in mind. Of course for me everything is new except the actual motor. Turned out to be an air leak. My son found it in two minutes. You put a cork in the intake rubber and it falls out - and you forgot you had ever put the cork in because you were worried about painting the doors. Sheesh. Is there an emoticon for stupid - I would use them by the gross. blink.gif

That's good news! Love the easy - and free - fixes. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.