Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to remove copper exhaust port gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beebo Kanelle
Got my old system out. and all the copper exhaust port gaskets remain on the heads. Looking for any guidance / leadership / hints / tricks before I start wailing on them.

thanks in advance
stugray
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Aug 7 2016, 11:36 AM) *

Got my old system out. and all the copper exhaust port gaskets remain on the heads. Looking for any guidance / leadership / hints / tricks before I start wailing on them.

thanks in advance

Deform them carefully with a chisel, then you should be able to get under them with a dental pick
rgalla9146
Force, ( tap) (with a hammer) a thin screwdriver between the copper gasket and the head on one straight side of the gasket or the other.
Put a larger screwdriver into the slot and twist. It will fall out.
Of course this requires use of new gaskets.
DRPHIL914
I used a curved pick that was able to grab the edge of it and pull it doe and it popped loose, I only had 2 that were really stuck.
Drums66
...Ye ole "Scribe" thumb3d.gif
bye1.gif
HAM Inc
Use a right angle pick and pull it out. Find the place where it's closest to the port opening and hook and pull. Be patient.

I can't tell you how many heads I've run through the shop that were gouged from a screwdriver or chisel. The subsequent exhaust leak is virtually unrepairable without welding.

You don't want to go there. Beleive me.
injunmort
they are a pia. best luck i have had is to gently tap in a thin headed screwdriver into the copper gasket and deform it towards the port and then grab it with a pick. and of course when you go to replace them they won't stay in place.
Beebo Kanelle
Thank you to all! GOT IT OUT!

Followed your ideas and suggestions - Tapped... Bent... Coereced....

Then, Lo and Behold! it just dropped out as though it was toying with me !

Thanks again.
forrestkhaag
and just to close on this one, .... when installing your new copper gaskets, consider placing the annealed copper gaskets on your exhaust pipe ends, then use blue tape or any good tape to afix them to the exhaust pipe in their correct alignment with the pipe and head, then trim any and all tape from the mating surfaces, then raise the header or HE and gently tighten each copper nut.. the tape goes away with the first use and the copper gasket stays with you as you fit them to the head.

Sidebar: (Bruce Stone) Annealing the gaskets prior to installation softens them to the extent that they will allow the proper torque to seal against exhaust leaks without pulling a stud. simply heat them up with a torch, and drop them off of your coat-hanger wire hook into tap water. the properties of the copper are instantly changed from a "ping" sound at a 6" drop / to a thump... soft metal......... cheers

rgalla9146
This is a simple way I've found to install the copper exhaust seals.
Remove residue from port surface with a long flat scraper or screwdriver.
Coat seal on one side with wheel bearing grease.
Lift seal into place being sure it is properly seated.
Lift exhaust into place and keep pressure on it until you have at least two nuts keeping it snug.
Finish installing the remaining nuts, tightening them uniformly.
If you hear leakage from a single cylinder it can be isolated by removing one spark plug wire at a time from the running engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.