Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a 914world send off for Ron
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
76-914
There are many here among us that knew and liked Ron but will not be able to attend his service. I'm one of those peeps and would like to put this thought out there:
Many of us would like to Toast Ron all the way to the Pearly Gates but will not be able to attend his service. Is it out of line to have a Saturday Evening Live thread where we post our stories in remembrance of Ron's life and how he touched ours? We can all tell our stories (and there are many) while sitting in the comfort and safety of our own homes w/o concerns of a DUI or traffic mishap whilst under the influence.
I had thought about a local get together but shit canned that idea once I realized the pitfalls of organizing an all out Drunk in California.
What say ye? This Saturday evening (8-13) 1800-2400?
JustinMeier
Well, I'm in with a bottle of Jack.. I think his son in laws will also join.
a914luvr
Bump for a good idea. Also, I'll probably have a small party in his honor at my house in Riverside in a couple weeks. Tenatively on Aug 27. Email me if you're interested in coming; a914luvr - at - sbcglobal.net
76-914
email sent
rick 918-S
I'll check in
Toast
Wouldn't miss it!

And just to clarify......

This will be on Pacific Time Zone, right?
EdwardBlume
I'll raise a glass to a great guy! Count me in!
914_teener
So we are doing something at 9:14 in honor of Ron?

What day....?

I didn.t get the PM? confused24.gif

Shiza....missed the first post.

Would be cool at 9:14.
mgp4591
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 11 2016, 07:45 PM) *

So we are doing something at 9:14 in honor of Ron?

What day....?

I didn.t get the PM? confused24.gif

Shiza....missed the first post.

Would be cool at 9:14.

How about 9:14 on 9/14 ?? AM for those who can, PM for those who can... Everyone post at the same time? Let's crash the server!! aktion035.gif
Steve
QUOTE(a914luvr @ Aug 9 2016, 09:23 AM) *

Bump for a good idea. Also, I'll probably have a small party in his honor at my house in Riverside in a couple weeks. Tenatively on Aug 27. Email me if you're interested in coming; a914luvr - at - sbcglobal.net

Curious what time are you thinking? Lunch? Late afternoon? Evening?
Toast
Well since I am up at this hour thinking about him I will give him a cheers. beer.gif bootyshake.gif

toast.gif
Toast
The light of the day is starting to peak. Think I'll go grab a glimpse of the stars before the disappear into the new daylight with Ronnie. :-(
sixnotfour
Toast, It was a great night ...coincident ?? my son is home for a few days and we saw a bunch ..I think the brightest was Slits passing....gas..
https://www.rt.com/viral/355556-perseids-me...-peak-outburst/
76-914
The Bar Service will begin Saturday after 6pm PST. Since we will be dealing with at least 4 different time zones; When 9:14 (your local time) arrives you can send/post a personal note to/for Ronnie. Otherwise, let's post & recant our good times with Ron. A man who truly celebrated life. beerchug.gif Kent
Larmo63
Ron would call bullshit if we say too much nice stuff about him, so let's all try to be truthful (and sober)

beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 12 2016, 05:54 AM) *

Otherwise, let's post & recant our good times with Ron. beerchug.gif Kent

I am up for recanting my sins and good times. I know - spell check did it. poke.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 12 2016, 07:49 AM) *

Ron would call bullshit if we say too much nice stuff about him, so let's all try to be truthful (and sober)

beerchug.gif

Define sober....
914_teener
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 12 2016, 02:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 12 2016, 07:49 AM) *

beerchug.gif

Define sober....

The quantum leap between consciousness and something else.
Garland
Just a idea, at 9:14 pm, day of rest, PST all club members, no matter where the are, honk there 914 horns for 9 seconds. That identifiable sound across the world.
Sleepin
Thinking of Ron today....so sad to miss the service!
Toast
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Aug 13 2016, 10:26 AM) *

Thinking of Ron today....so sad to miss the service!

sad2.gif
bdstone914
funeral home pictures.
Toast
wub.gif
Thank you Bruce for posting those picture! And thank you for calling me today. I really needed that.

toast.gif
76-914
I heard some funny things at Ron's service today. There were a lot of Folks there today. His son looks just like Ron. No introduction needed. laugh.gif I hope some more of those great stories surface this evening. I want to say this about Ron. I made a few long hauls with Ron and never worried a minute. Not so much because of Ron's knowledge but because of the type of man he was. I knew if there were ever any problem that he would have my back. And contrary to many others experience's with Ron; he never said a nasty thing to me or made any snide remark. He did however refuse to call me by my given name instead referring to me only as that Redneck! lol-2.gif Next story.
EDIT: I'm enjoying an excellant WA wine in your Honor Ron. beerchug.gif
Toast
Okay, I'm here. Feel free to join in when you can.

I'll start.

There once was a guy named Ron....
EdwardBlume
I'll be raising a drink to Ron and others when I get home around 8PM tonight. Might have another by 9:14! beerchug.gif
76-914
Hey Toast, since your on now I gotta tell you what happened today. I know you'll appreciate this. Today was a maiden voyage for this engine and new fuel pump. Well I'm pretty sure Ron was with me on the way home this afternoon. It was hot as Hell and The temps were dead center so I'm kicking it in the ass all the way home. Sounding familiar?100 yards from home it dies. I walked home got my PU and towed it home. Let it sit an hour and it fired right up like nothing happened. av-943.gif I tell you, Ron rode back with me! shades.gif
76-914
Hey Toast, since your on now I gotta tell you what happened today. I know you'll appreciate this. Today was a maiden voyage for this engine and new fuel pump. Well I'm pretty sure Ron was with me on the way home this afternoon. It was hot as Hell and the temps were dead center so I'm kicking it in the ass all the way home. Sounding familiar?100 yards from home it dies. I walked home got my PU and towed it home. Let it sit an hour and it fired right up like nothing happened. av-943.gif I tell you, Ron rode back with me! shades.gif
Toast
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 13 2016, 06:41 PM) *

Hey Toast, since your on now I gotta tell you what happened today. I know you'll appreciate this. Today was a maiden voyage for this engine and new fuel pump. Well I'm pretty sure Ron was with me on the way home this afternoon. It was hot as Hell and The temps were dead center so I'm kicking it in the ass all the way home. Sounding familiar?100 yards from home it dies. I walked home got my PU and towed it home. Let it sit an hour and it fired right up like nothing happened. av-943.gif I tell you, Ron rode back with me! shades.gif

av-943.gif
Yep, he was there! He said "Thanks for coming out. Here is my parting gift...."

wink.gif
Toast
So it all started when I was dating Ted, who was best friends with Ron's 2nd cousin Todd. Ted also worked at the same place as Todd and Ron.

I had first met Ron at a company Christmas party back in 1998.

Fast forward a year or two. I was introduced him to as Ronnie so that will be the name I will be using from now on. So anyway, Ronnie would come over from time to time to play video games on N64 then later Xbox. We all had great times playing. Then he started to come over more often to the point where his wife was calling the house to find out when he was coming home. confused24.gif
Toast
Brb. Digging up some pictures and gonna make me a drink.
EdwardBlume
Here's to Ron! beer3.gif

Took a drive in his honor as well!
worn
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 13 2016, 07:22 PM) *

Here's to Ron! beer3.gif

drunk.gif
Getting a bit of whiskey with a splash. Thanks Ron for the last thing I heard when leaving the group for home. Basically it was about how the joints hurt when you get too Effin ok spell check, how do you want me tosay it? Anyway too old.
Toast
beerchug.gif

Did they play the youtube interview video at the services?
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 13 2016, 07:34 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 13 2016, 07:22 PM) *

Here's to Ron! beer3.gif

drunk.gif
Getting a bit of whiskey with a splash. Thanks Ron for the last thing I heard when leaving the group for home. Basically it was about how the joints hurt when you get too Effin ok spell check, how do you want me tosay it? Anyway too old.

Too hot and humid to open the garage door today and the mosquitos would eat me alive were I to let them in. But soldier on in getting the second teener roadworthy. Thought of Ron a lot while working trapped indoors on a Midwest summer day. I miss the west coast and it seems like there are more people I connect with out there. The photos this past week have been grand. Going back through past threads.
Toast
Here is an old conversation that Ron and I had back in the "Club" days after my 914 got backed into at a stop sign....

"Linda Ronstadt song I like.....it's not the lonely part that you should put your focus on.

Not my car....gave it to you....just sad that it got punched 'cause it was a good car...body was straight....quit feeling sorry for me....I'm just mad at what happened...and stop feeling sorry for yourself....shit happens.

I am only sad 'cause I know where it began and where it ended.....tried to make a nice little car and someone else ruined it. I felt the same thing about my '74 Zambezi.....you put a lot of work into something and then it gets trashed.

No worries...take a chill pill about it.

wub.gif

PS....felt the same about the brown truck too!

--------------------
Ron

"I've liked that song for a LONG time...........

I also felt the same way about the grey Honda when my daughter wrecked it and then I wrecked it.

I felt the same way about a Ford Bronco, Chevy Nova and Pickup truck that Justin wrecked.

Just the way I am. When I fix something or fix up something...part of me is in it....like a loss of a friend sometime.

And you're not bothering me. I'm waiting for my blankiees to heat up."

--------------------
Ron
worn
QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 13 2016, 07:51 PM) *

Here is an old conversation that Ron and I had back in the "Club" days after my 914 got backed into at a stop sign....

"Linda Ronstadt song I like.....it's not the lonely part that you should put your focus

What song?
Toast
bye1.gif
ThePaintedMan
Wish I had met you in person Ron, or that I lived closer and could have attended your send-off in person. However, this bourbon is for you. I did spend most of the day in the garage getting an antique generator to work, cussing most of the time, but thinking of how you told me not to give up on my teener, even when I was so frustrated with it. Funny enough my 914 and the generator I'm working on were made in the same year. Back to it. slits.gif
Toast
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 13 2016, 08:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 13 2016, 07:51 PM) *

"Linda Ronstadt song I like.....it's not the lonely part that you should put your focus

What song?

Unfortunately I don't know. It wasn't in his messages. But he did like Linda Ronstadt. And The Beatles. And Jimmy Hendrix. And the Beach Boys.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Toast @ Aug 13 2016, 08:51 PM) *

Ron

"I've liked that song for a LONG time...........

I also felt the same way about the grey Honda when my daughter wrecked it and then I wrecked it.

I felt the same way about a Ford Bronco, Chevy Nova and Pickup truck that Justin wrecked.

Just the way I am. When I fix something or fix up something...part of me is in it....like a loss of a friend sometime.

And you're not bothering me. I'm waiting for my blankiees to heat up."

--------------------
Ron

Ok now wait a min here.. I did in fact wreck the Bronco in a weather related "accident."
The Nova had his balanced and blueprinted 400 SBC that somehow ran out of oil and blew dry.gif
The pickup ran and ran, I couldn't kill it. The Jeep on the other hand.. Well....
Toast
Happy. smile.gif driving.gif
Toast
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Aug 13 2016, 09:00 PM) *

Ok now wait a min here.. I did in fact wreck the Bronco in a weather related "accident."
The Nova had his balanced and blueprinted 400 SBC that somehow ran out of oil and blew dry.gif
The pickup ran and ran, I couldn't kill it. The Jeep on the other hand.. Well....

laugh.gif

He had referred to you as the "Automotive Terrorist".

Then I inherited the name. happy11.gif
Cheers..Ron..RIP..
Toast
So anyways, durring the times of playing video games (oh, he always had a shit eating grin on his face then too because he would always thought he was being sneaky trying to kill you off the screen) he kept talking about this 914 he was building.

I had not even seen a Porsche at that point, let alone know what a 914 was.

So one day he offered to take me to the shop so he could show me what a 914 was. I believe it was his green one. I wasnt really that impressed. rolleyes.gif
Toast
HAPPY 9:14!!

Thank you for everything. Love you tremendously! Miss you terribly!!

toast.gif
Toast
Ron and Howard on Amtac on the way to Atomic Ramble.
JustinMeier
beer3.gif
Mrs. K
God Speed Slits!

Love you so much.......and miss you more!

Please tell Howie hello from me wub.gif wub.gif

Love,

Lisa
mrs.K.gif
oldschool
Goodbye my friend, we never got to work on my 911 headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.