Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Towing 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
green914
I have seen quite a few members using what I believe is called a flat tow kit when bring their cars to and from events; looks like an easy method of towing a 914. Does anyone know who markets these tow kits?
6freak
QUOTE(green914 @ Aug 8 2016, 02:01 PM) *

I have seen quite a few members using what I believe is called a flat tow kit when bring their cars to and from events; looks like an easy method of towing a 914. Does anyone know who markets these tow kits?

nope! but i have one that Nate gave me for a project its yours if you want it ...be kinda hard to ship because of size and shape but its an option..good luck
Mike smile.gif
green914
QUOTE(6freak @ Aug 8 2016, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(green914 @ Aug 8 2016, 02:01 PM) *

nope! but i have one that Nate gave me for a project its yours if you want it ...be kinda hard to ship because of size and shape but its an option..good luck
Mike smile.gif

PM sent,
Thanks Jerry
MoveQik
Check here. This is the set up I believe most of us(me included) are running.

Tow bracket
ConeDodger
JCD914 has one. He made it out of a Superbeetle tow bar. Tows like a charm too. He lives in Carmichael. PM him and he can tell you the details. You've met him. Sacramento Porsche Family Reunions...
dlee6204
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Aug 8 2016, 06:58 PM) *

Check here. This is the set up I believe most of us(me included) are running.

Tow bracket

Those brackets are no longer available.
Mikey914
If you want I can make you up a bracket 88 bucks power coated black. Will take me a week.
Mark
PM me if interested
Mueller
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 8 2016, 04:04 PM) *

JCD914 has one. He made it out of a Superbeetle tow bar. Tows like a charm too. He lives in Carmichael. PM him and he can tell you the details. You've met him. Sacramento Porsche Family Reunions...

I can cut and weld if you need some help and want to make the trip....I'm not too far from you.
914bub
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 8 2016, 04:18 PM) *

If you want I can make you up a bracket 88 bucks power coated black. Will take me a week.
Mark
PM me if interested

Do I smell a GB? I will want one at some point
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(914bub @ Aug 8 2016, 06:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 8 2016, 04:18 PM) *

Mark
PM me if interested

Do I smell a GB? I will want one at some point

agree.gif

Mark needs to make these brackets. Renn Metal used to make them, but no more. The SB tow bar is still available from VW sources.

Mine is custom since my car is too low for the standard bracket. I towed to Medford and back without any issues.
green914
Thanks for all the info. w00t.gif smile.gif
johnhora
H&H made these many year ago....here's one I had way back... Think I still have the plans...it worked great...towed a 914 track car with a first gen Chrysler mini van all over the place....we didn't worry about looking pretty then just wanted to race the car smile.gif

Click to view attachment
MLedesma
I want one. Tried to buy one from Renn Metal last year. Emailed him when the website wouldn't let me order and found out he wasn't making them anymore.

He made a couple different versions (beetle and Reese tow bar). Even had a tow ring available for the track guys. If possible it would be nice if it was compatible with the Reese tow bar I have.

Andyrew
Be aware you still need a braking setup to legally flat tow in California. This is the more expensive piece of the puzzle.
sixnotfour
over 1500lbs
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 9 2016, 09:37 PM) *

Be aware you still need a braking setup to legally flat tow in California. This is the more expensive piece of the puzzle.

Sorta brings to mind a rope up over the Targa bar from your rear bumper to the e-brake handle.... av-943.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 9 2016, 10:37 PM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

The laws aren't kind to flat towing a 914 in CA, but beyond an electric or air brake box, I've seen a mechanical pressure brake setup on RV towed cars.

My concern is if you get into an accident, the insurance won't cover because you are exceeding the weight limit of a non-braking towable.
jcd914
QUOTE(RobW @ Aug 10 2016, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 9 2016, 10:37 PM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

The laws aren't kind to flat towing a 914 in CA, but beyond an electric or air brake box, I've seen a mechanical pressure brake setup on RV towed cars.

My concern is if you get into an accident, the insurance won't cover because you are exceeding the weight limit of a non-braking towable.

The CA law requires brakes for a trailer over 1500 lbs but a motor vehicle does not fit the CA definition of a trailer.
And CA law does not specifically address a towed motor vehicle.

Do not use my interpretation of CA law, do your own research.

It is something you need to take in as part of your decision making process.

I have flat towed 914s and a Baja Bug behind several different vehicles, Aerostar, Explorer, Toyota 4x4, Nissan 4x4, F-150, F-250, E-150 and a class C motor home.
I was never stopped and asked about brakes on the towed vehicle but I don't recall ever being stopped while towing.(Well except the time in Mexico when the Federales wanted to search my trailer, no clue what they were looking for?)

When I get my 914 running again and I will stop in and ask the CHP what their interpretation is.

Jim
Brian Mifsud
Tow Dollies don't have brakes from what I can tell. They are prices used on Craigs between $700 - 1000

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tro/5717112892.html

I wonder how they get around the braking requirement... they don't weigh 1500 lbs, but when loaded they must...

Here is one that DOES have brakes...

http://modesto.craigslist.org/rvs/5715503961.html
PotterPorsche
I'm interested in a tow bracket similar to the rennen type that are no longer avialable. Looking for it to attach to my superbeetle tow bar.
Mike Bellis
I flat towed to Oregon and back with multiple police, sheriff and CHP passing me by. Never got stopped or looked at weird.

I don't think all trailer rules apply...
sixnotfour
Ive ben flat towing for years,, but looking at this charts ,,makes me wonder ,,what if...I ever had an incident ..there would be problems lawfully..
kinda sucks ,,but is the world we live in..

http://www.hitchemup.com/statetowinglaws.htm
sixnotfour
I don't think all trailer rules apply...

noun | trail·er |\ˈtrā-lər\

Popularity: Bottom 40% of words

Simple Definition of trailer

: a long platform or box with wheels that is pulled behind a truck or car and used to transport things

: a vehicle that can be pulled by a truck or car and that can be parked and used as an office, vacation home, etc.

: a selected group of scenes that are shown to advertise a movie

sixnotfour
I lived WA. the weight is 3k no brakes ,,now live in UT 2k ....
borderline 914 weight..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.