Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT- Drill press
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
I have an old 15" Walked turner drill press that dates back to the 40's. It's a wonderful beast of a cast iron machine, but the pulley that goes on the quill is messed up. The bronze splinned bushing inside was slipping. But I am a smart guy, and taking inspiration from the method we use to put the cam gear on a type 4 crank, I heated it up on a hot plate thinking I could then drive the bushing in tighter.

I ended up melting the largest diameter step off the pulley. headbang.gif

I have not been able to source a replacement. Got to thinking, since I am trying to run at a lower speed, why not just get a motor controller and turn down the speed?

Any one know if this would work, and a good place for a speed control?
toolguy
It's called a VFD. . Variable frequency drive
jeffdon
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 9 2016, 08:38 AM) *

Thanks. Will this in any way cause damage to my motor if I use it at reduced speed all the time?
stugray
I have a 3-phase 3/4 hp Baldor motor on my fish tank pump using a 1hp single phase VFD.
It converts single phase to 3-phase and you can adjust the speed with a potentiometer.
I got it from a place like automationdirect.com but I would have to look through my notes.

I am taking down the fish tank and cant decide if I want to put the motor on my drill press or my attic fan :-)
MrKona
Have you put a WTB ad on OWWM.com? If you haven't checked out that site yet, you should. It's to old tools, as this site is to 914s..
worn
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 9 2016, 07:24 AM) *

I have an old 15" Walked turner drill press that dates back to the 40's. It's a wonderful beast of a cast iron machine, but the pulley that goes on the quill is messed up. The bronze splinned bushing inside was slipping. But I am a smart guy, and taking inspiration from the method we use to put the cam gear on a type 4 crank, I heated it up on a hot plate thinking I could then drive the bushing in tighter.

I ended up melting the largest diameter step off the pulley. headbang.gif

I have not been able to source a replacement. Got to thinking, since I am trying to run at a lower speed, why not just get a motor controller and turn down the speed?

Any one know if this would work, and a good place for a speed control?

I would run the motor as it was designed and fix the problem. Is the part with the splines still OK? If so you can have a machine shop put it into a step pulley. It will not cost a lot and it will save the function and originality of an excellent tool. You could do it yourself...if you had a drill press dry.gif
If you do go variable speed, try to find a motor designed for it. That would cost though.
DavidSweden
QUOTE(toolguy @ Aug 9 2016, 07:38 AM) *

the variable speed drive (VSD) should work fine and they are cheap. A single phase VSD can run a 3 phase motor but you need to be sure what your buying . You will need to set it up but its not brain surgery. you can usually use a variable resistor to control the speed.
I recommend installing an emergency stop button.

Good luck
Mark Henry
I take that it's a cast aluminum pulley?
Can you machine it down and then thread and bolt on a steel weld-on style pulley with no hub?

Tractor supply will likely have one.
jeffdon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 9 2016, 10:11 AM) *

Can you machine it down and then thread and bolt on a steel weld-on style pulley with no hub?

You know, I was just in tractor supply thinking the same thing. I take it you are thinking to drill 3-4 holes radially?
jeffdon
QUOTE(MrKona @ Aug 9 2016, 09:16 AM) *

Have you put a WTB ad on OWWM.com? If you haven't checked out that site yet, you should. It's to old tools, as this site is to 914s..

Awesome, thanks. Will check it out.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 9 2016, 01:33 PM) *

You know, I was just in tractor supply thinking the same thing. I take it you are thinking to drill 3-4 holes radially?

Need to see it.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
MrKona
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 9 2016, 10:34 AM) *

QUOTE(MrKona @ Aug 9 2016, 09:16 AM) *

Awesome, thanks. Will check it out.

Also, check out the classifieds on OWWM.org. (Note the .org versus .com). The two sites are affiliated... how I'm not sure. I think you need to register to access the classified ads. Great sites.
jeffdon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 9 2016, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(jeffdon @ Aug 9 2016, 01:33 PM) *

Need to see it.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Damaged pulley at the top. New (but wrong size) pulley at bottom. Could one of the proper size be attached in a way that works?
Mueller
Post pictures of damage. Maybe it's something we can fix at my place.

You can also convert to a DC motor with a variable power supply....which I have 2 or 3 setups I've taken off of free/salvaged threadmills. Free for the asking if want to pick one up. I think 1 or 1.5hp motors.

Check out Surplus Center . Com, I bought my pulleys for my Bridgeport mill from there.
jeffdon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Aug 9 2016, 11:21 AM) *

Post pictures of damage. Maybe it's something we can fix at my place.

You can also convert to a DC motor with a variable power supply....which I have 2 or 3 setups I've taken off of free/salvaged threadmills. Free for the asking if want to pick one up. I want to 1 or 1.5hp motors.

Check out Surplus Center . Com, I bought my pulleys for my Bridgeport mill from there.

Its pretty bad. Anyone know if the splined bushing inside just presses out?

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.