Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: race seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ljdemartini
Looking for a race seat that bolts directly to the 914 rails and will accommodate a 5 point harness. Any suggestions?
Dave_Darling
How tall are you? If you're short enough, you have a ton of options that take up more room than the stock seats. Most of them don't fit into the recess in the back pad, though.

If you're taller, you'll have to remove the back pad so you can move the seat back farther. Probably still not as far back as the stock seat goes, and most of them will put you higher up in the car as they are thicker all in all.

Very few if any will fit on the 914 seat rails as-is. Many can be made to work if you are willing to drill some holes and do some reinforcements, or if you are willing to make adapters (that again, take more space under the seat).

GTS Classics makes several seats that seem to be about the same width and height as 914 seats. There's a good chance of them fitting, even if you're taller.

Renegade Hybrids used to (not sure if they still do!) make higher-bolstered seats out of 914 seats. That is possible for the DIY'er as well.

Note that a lot of these solutions are not strictly speaking legal in a lot of track organizations. Check the rule sets of whatever organizations you think you may want to run with and see what they require. I doubt most of the above are FIA-certified, for instance, so if that is a requirement you are SOL.

If you're willing to make more mods to the car, you have more options. I know people who have lowered the floor pan under the seat by several inches to get more head-room, which was taken up by their racing seat.

If you don't absolutely need the sliders, you can get the seat lower down in the chassis by doing a direct mount to the floor pan. Or to bracketry that is thinner than the stock sliding mechanism. If you have two drivers, you may be able to do a setup that allows you to quickly bolt and unbolt the seat...

... Is this Lloyd?

--DD
Cracker
Unless you are of moderate *as in short* height - it is near impossible to do. This is especially so with a certified seat. I wouldn't feel comfortable going onto a track in anything but - if not for the other cars (likely faster too) around you. I have notched (had) the floor pan in two of my teeners - I use Kirkey road race seats. I am 6'5" so my life is hell in a teener. Best of luck.

PS: I notched my floor 1.5"...due to ground clearance concerns you can't go much more, if any really. A belated welcome to the World too!

Rev

Kirkey on Stock Rails
Click to view attachment

Patrick Motorsports w/ Kirkey Intermediate RR on notched floor
Click to view attachment
Cal
GTS makes the correct racing seats for the 914 that accommodate the 5 point harness.

http://www.classiccarseats.com/lemans5202.php

George at Auto Atlanta also makes a nice reproduction of the recaro racing seat that were original to the 914.....I'm not sure if they can work with a 5 point harness though.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Gt-Spor...AA52138300.html
Cracker
Those are not race seats...they are hot rod seats. Just sayin'

T
Cal
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 9 2016, 09:27 PM) *

Those are not race seats...they are hot rod seats. Just sayin'

T

You are correct....they are decorative and not meant for racing agree.gif
ljdemartini
QUOTE(Cal @ Aug 9 2016, 06:19 PM) *

GTS makes the correct racing seats for the 914 that accommodate the 5 point harness.

http://www.classiccarseats.com/lemans5202.php

George at Auto Atlanta also makes a nice reproduction of the recaro racing seat that were original to the 914.....I'm not sure if they can work with a 5 point harness though.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Gt-Spor...AA52138300.html

There are no pass through for the belts.
brant
I'm using an Ultra shield
I'm sorry I don't remember the model number
like Kirkey, they make them in different style/rake

I know the one I went with has the perfect rake to fit the floorpan of a race car

but realize that is with no interior, and no seat rails.
if your building a race car, I'd recommend not using the stock rails anyways for additional safety
but it sounds like you know what you need... so not trying to butt in.
patssle
Be careful about racing seats blocking the emergency brake. Mine did - I eventually trimmed the seat down with a hacksaw (they are shitty seats anyways). I want to replace the seat but not really sure what is a good fit.
Subi Sports in Huntington Beach Ca... look at the Cobra seat... It answers all your questions. It's not a direct bolt on with the seat rails you will need to fab one.
Dave_Darling
I saw the photo in the other thread; it is Lloyd. Hi, there! What seats did you use in Moneypit?

--DD
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 9 2016, 04:51 PM) *

Unless you are of moderate *as in short* height - it is near impossible to do. This is especially so with a certified seat. I wouldn't feel comfortable going onto a track in anything but - if not for the other cars (likely faster too) around you. I have notched (had) the floor pan in two of my teeners - I use Kirkey road race seats. I am 6'5" so my life is hell in a teener. Best of luck.

PS: I notched my floor 1.5"...due to ground clearance concerns you can't go much more, if any really. A belated welcome to the World too!

Rev

Kirkey on Stock Rails
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

How did you "notch" the floor?
Cracker
PM sent...

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Aug 11 2016, 01:34 AM) *

How did you "notch" the floor?

ljdemartini
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 10 2016, 06:20 PM) *

I saw the photo in the other thread; it is Lloyd. Hi, there! What seats did you use in Moneypit?

--DD

Munypit was the 911. Traitor was the 914-6. I used a Corbeau clubman, but I'm looking for something a little nicer for this car. I think I will lower the floors and move the parking brake cables to mount the GT2 seats I bought. I'll let you know how goes.Click to view attachment
ljdemartini
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ Aug 9 2016, 04:51 PM) *

Rev

Kirkey on Stock Rails
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Did you cut the cross brace when you lowered the floor? I think I will lower my floor a couple of inches to accommodate the rails on the GT2 seats I bought.
Cracker
Yes I did. They are out on both sides.

Tony
Larmo63
Of the "hot rod" seats, I MUCH prefer Stefan's wonderful GTS seats. We looked these over at the last Phoenix Club event.

He couldn't have been nicer, and he is accommodating to whatever you need for your car. They are really nice, not an afterthought seat.

One vote for GTS seats!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.