Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: late model 76 front air dam install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
Got me a used fiberglass air dam I want to install on my late model 1976 rubber bumper square fog front end. It has 2 mounting tabs looks like. Do I have to take the front bumper off to screw it in?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
rhodyguy
Just the cover. Then you'll see the real bumper that lives behind the rubber cover.
Rand
Maybe too soon, but in time, you'll happily get rid of those mega heavy bubs. Then that air dam and everything else will look nicer. wink.gif
carcus
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 9 2016, 04:25 PM) *

Just the cover. Then you'll see the real bumper that lives behind the rubber cover.

So peel the rubber off the front bumper? Looks like it goes behind the bumper and afraid to peel the front rubber off the bumper. Any DIY for that? Also does it screw in or do I need to drill? Appreciate the help. I see 2 mounting holes on the valence. This is not a replacement bumper, just a lower valence air dam. Kinda confused now.
AZ914
You can either just peel back the rubber: it is attached by a channel that runs the length of the hood/headlights, and two tabs on both sides (vertically). Oh, and remove the plate and mount. Not sure what else is involved in doing this. Can't remember if those titties need to come off somehow.

Another option is to just take off the whole thing: If I remember correctly, there are two 19mm bolts accessed from beneath the bumper. Unbolt those, the pull the bumper away from the car. However, you will effectively be 'peeling back the rubber' the same way on the top/sides.

I had put on a similar GT bumper when I had my BUBS. I remember that the mount holes were different than the original valance so I did have to drill into the body.
ndfrigi
this may help you. the two tabs can be screwed to the side of the front lower body but maybe u need to support the middle part the fg bumper. Took me less than 30 mins to removed the big rubber bumper for the 1st time.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
maf914
Ndfrigi's photos are a big help. When you unbolt the two bolts from the two bumper shocks you then have to release the rubber bumper cover ends from the channels on the sides before you can pull the bumper off. You sort of "peel" the sides away. When reinstalling the bumper you must work the bumper cover ends back into these channels. Somewhat of a PIA.
sfrenck
Take some measurements before you go too far to make sure the dam is wide enough... I had a fiberglass one that was about an inch too short (thread on here a bit ago by someone else with the same issue).

Ended up getting a new dam from Mikey914 - fit perfectly.
TheCabinetmaker
Jeez. You don't peel anything. Undo the bolts that insert toward the top, under the bottom of the rubber cover (inside the two holes). Push the rubber towards the rear of the car. The flanges will then release the rubber cover on the ends.
carcus
Thank you guys for all the info and pics. I now know what I have to do. I love this message board. You are all so helpfull and have an appreciation for keeping the cars we grew up with on the road. Doing a cab carpet install soon with the OEM material.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.