Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally removed rockers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
Had my '76 914 for almost 20 years, never removed the rockers. Everyone in here said you'd better do it and clean em out, check longs. Ok, I did and here's the rockers. It has always been a California car, and yes, it passes smog every 2 damn years. I'm going to prime and repaint my rockers, Satin Black the right color? Watcha think of these longs? California 914's rule!
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Madswede
Well I think it looks to be in pretty good shape!
Krieger
Looks great! SEM trim black is very durable and looks great. Satin finish.
Vapor_locked
The only time they look like that in my part of the country, is when they come from your part of the country!

That jack point looks so, whats the word I'm looking for here...lucky bastard!!!!!!

I'll second Kriegers finish choice. Oh, and I loved your story about the car too!
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Vapor_locked @ Aug 11 2016, 09:50 PM) *

The only time they look like that in my part of the country, is when they come from your part of the country!

That jack point looks so, whats the word I'm looking for here...lucky bastard!!!!!!

I'll second Kriegers finish choice. Oh, and I loved your story about the car too!

Thanks Krieger! Which story you like? There's several great ones about this car! What is SEM trim black, or better yet, where do I get it??
iwanta914-6
It's the other side that is typically the problem, but being in CA it's probably fine.
Vapor_locked

Thanks Krieger! Which story you like? There's several great ones about this car! What is SEM trim black, or better yet, where do I get it??

SEM is a brand, you can get it virtually anywhere, even your FLAPS should have it.

I was referring to the story of how you originally aquired the car. But I'm open to hearing more of them!
oakdalecurtis
Ok, try here's another true one about the car! Scroll down to the story right after the picture of the yellow VW, tell me if you like this one.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=287908
EdwardBlume
With rockers like that, you're just bragging and making CA cars worth more. Congrats!
Cairo94507
Looks very good. Clean and wax, respray rocker semi-gloss black and reinstall. Move to other side and repeat. Then beer3.gif and thank the Porsche Gods.
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 12 2016, 12:38 AM) *

Ok, try here's another true one about the car! Scroll down to the story right after the picture of the yellow VW, tell me if you like this one.

You must have some sort of writing background, your stories read very well and are entertaining! Thank you for sharing!
Vapor_locked
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 12 2016, 08:56 AM) *

You must have some sort of writing background, your stories read very well and are entertaining! Thank you for sharing!

Yes, thanks for the link, that was classic!
Tom_T
Yes Curtis, they're supposed to be a dull black - not quite flat black - so satin or semi-flat finish works.

So it's supposed to be done in satin (not semi-gloss, which is too shiny), & if you've lost the undercoating "heavy eggshell" texture, you can reshoot it with Wurth Shutz (TC'sGarage.com can get it for you, just ask Tom or Bev by their email/contact us). If it still has the texture & just needs a top coat, then the satin black would do.

I'm not sure how SEM's satin black comes out, but theirs or any other automotive top grade paint will work, just buy a can & shoot a test patch on some smooth white cardboard.

The same finish was used on the F & R steel Valances & the targa top.

There are a couple of good "how to" topics in the O&H by Moderator Pat G. & a couple of others on how to get the Wurth shutz texture right, & again experiment on the cardboard. You'll have to use the search here or google for it.

The passenger side tend to get more dirt up behind the rocker panels, because that's the curbside where dirt gets thrown up into the crevices. Clean & wax them as noted above, before you button them back up.

IIRC, someone one here has a source for the black plastic rivets to reattach them, if you do a Query for them in the Garage (Porsche still sells the milky-clear ones too).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
KELTY360
Show off. dry.gif

aktion035.gif
theleschyouknow
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 12 2016, 10:08 AM) *

IIRC, someone one here has a source for the black plastic rivets to reattach them, if you do a Query for them in the Garage (Porsche still sells the milky-clear ones too).

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

check out DarrenC's build thread in the build off I think he sourced the black rivets from a VW place

nice rockers

beerchug.gif
cjl
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Vapor_locked @ Aug 12 2016, 07:28 AM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 12 2016, 08:56 AM) *

Yes, thanks for the link, that was classic!

No writing background, just a mom who obsessively corrected my English when I was growing up! I have a few more 914 stories to go, try this one next! This story even involves the members in this forum too!
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=290711
oakdalecurtis
Ok, eat your hearts out Easterners, here's the right long too! California 914's rule!
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Mine are cleaner biggrin.gif oh and it's a Canada car
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 12 2016, 08:08 PM) *

Mine are cleaner biggrin.gif oh and it's a Canada car

You have cars in Canada? Thought everyone up thefe rode snowmobiles! piratenanner.gif
catsltd
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Aug 12 2016, 12:04 AM) *

Had my '76 914 for almost 20 years, never removed the rockers. Everyone in here said you'd better do it and clean em out, check longs. Ok, I did and here's the rockers. It has always been a California car, and yes, it passes smog every 2 damn years. I'm going to prime and repaint my rockers, Satin Black the right color? Watcha think of these longs? California 914's rule!
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Look good.
Hope mine look as nice.
Cheers.
green914
Very nice! agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.