Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pricing confusion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dudzy's914
I know this topic comes up a lot, but I see 914's posted here and various other websites that have nicely redone 914's and they are ASKING 14k+ for a car with nice paint and interior and runs well, between a number 2 and 3 car on Hagerty( not show, but very nice drivers). Then I see some listed or at auctions, of the same quality for closer to 8k. Is this what they are selling for when asking 14k+? I know it is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay, but what are these cars actually selling for?
Tom_T
I would say that Hagarty has the best actual sales price data on their website (sign up for free to get their full report, if not already done), while NADA & KBB tend to not get the nicer cars sold into their data (they're getting better).

As you note - asking is not sold pricing, & IMHO evilbay & other auction sites tend to start at lower prices, then climb (use their "sold" search option to get final sold or at least bid it if not "completed" sales).

In any case, it's really hard to assess real condition just from pix & seller descriptions for comparisons, so I'd tend to go along with Hagarty's research, since it's in their best business interest to have accurate valuation data.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dudzy's914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 12 2016, 09:15 PM) *

I would say that Hagarty has the best actual sales price data on their website (sign up for free to get their full report, if not already done), while NADA & KBB tend to not get the nicer cars sold into their data (they're getting better).

As you note - asking is not sold pricing, & IMHO evilbay & other auction sites tend to start at lower prices, then climb (use their "sold" search option to get final sold or at least bid it if not "completed" sales).

In any case, it's really hard to assess real condition just from pix & seller descriptions for comparisons, so I'd tend to go along with Hagarty's research, since it's in their best business interest to have accurate valuation data.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Okay, thank you! If you guys all trust Hagarty and think they are fair, then that is fantastic
John
I have a serious question concerning NADA values on these cars.

They seem to have a range of $19,100 to $37,100 for a 1974 Porsche 914 2.0.

The original bill of sale of my car in 1974 was around $6,500, and it probably lost money when it left the lot.

WTF?

These are 40+ year old cars, and while I like them and enjoy them, I doubt that I could get a buyer to pay in that price range (not that any of my cars are for sale, but I'm just saying).

iwanta914-6
QUOTE(John @ Aug 17 2016, 10:27 PM) *

The original bill of sale of my car in 1974 was around $6,500, and it probably lost money when it left the lot.

WTF?

These are 40+ year old cars, and while I like them and enjoy them, I doubt that I could get a buyer to pay in that price range (not that any of my cars are for sale, but I'm just saying).

Taking $6500 in 1974 and adjusting for inflation, that's about $33,000. So, if the car is just as nice as it was when it was on the showroom floor in 1974, plus it becoming more desirable, I see nothing wrong with values in that range.

Of course, there are not many in show room condition.
injunmort
what ever the ass for the seat is willing to pay, no more
John
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Aug 17 2016, 07:37 PM) *

Taking $6500 in 1974 and adjusting for inflation, that's about $33,000. So, if the car is just as nice as it was when it was on the showroom floor in 1974, plus it becoming more desirable, I see nothing wrong with values in that range.

Inflation? You must be kidding.

Cars like most liabilities depreciate with age.

Few of them appreciate. Cars are not assets, especially not our NARP's.

Next you are going to tell me my stock 930 is worth way more than I paid for it.

Steve
It would be nice to start a thread on what people are getting for our cars. The nice stock 4 bangers are selling in the high teens depending on condition. The high dollar conversions are slow sells and never get back what they put into them. There was over $60k into my car and I bought it for $21k, back in 2009. I then put another $10k into it. Look at Joe's RS, it took a while to sell it and he took a major loss compared to what he had into it regarding parts and labor. Only real sixes are demanding and getting big bucks.
injunmort
imho, those values from hagerty, kelly nada etc only serve a good purpose for insurance claim purposes. not that i would sell any of mine, but they are nothing special except to me. 1971 driver that is a good running bitsa, 1972 original 4 with a lot of rust repair. i bought the 71cheap. done a lot of work to it and its rust free 45 years old and i would take the first $5000.00 daily driver. real sixes and le's command money.real real nice others, 6000-10000, tops. how many neglected ferarri 308's or 911's selling for 1000 to 2000 dollars. none, no matter how neglected, unfortunately, the 914/4 is not a unicorn.
falcor75
QUOTE(John @ Aug 18 2016, 05:48 AM) *

Next you are going to tell me my stock 930 is worth way more than I paid for it.

A stock unmolested 930 has probably increased about 30-50k in the last 5-6 years. There's a finite number of these cars available and alot more people wanting to own one.
Darren C
When cars get old, putting a “one price fits all” tag on them is not possible. This kinda only works for cars under 5 years old when there are few variables.
At the end of the day it’s only worth what the buyer is prepared to pay and the seller is prepared to accept.
It is also subject to geography and supply & demand.
I get bored real quick with “generic valuations” and moans on high prices. We should embrace price rises not object to them!
As owners and enthusiasts, lets say we all make a pact to value our 914’s at $1 Million each and all vow to not sell for anything less. This would force the market and then those not in the pact and think this is a crazy idea would only see $$$ signs and join the frenzy in the end. We must not forget we really are in control of the value (interesting thought that)
Classic prices are fickle they go down as well as up. Fortunately we’re all on the up at the moment, and I agree with John’s “price band” for nice non-special examples.
DaveO90s4
QUOTE(John @ Aug 18 2016, 01:48 PM) *

John I think you are mixing 'inflation' (the changed buying power of the currency over time) with the changed value of an item as it wears out / becomes more wanted (i.e. Valuable) over time.

If $6000 then is $33000 now, and most have rotted away (a liability for those owners, not an asset as you rightly point out) thus the good uns are more rare and more desirable for those with the urge and the cash, then it is not surprising that those good uns sell for more than purchase price (inflation adjusted).

I think the 914 is the new 356 and the 928 the next one to take off.

My $9.14 worth.

Dave
billh1963
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 17 2016, 11:47 PM) *

what ever the ass for the seat is willing to pay, no more

agree.gif
carr914
QUOTE(John @ Aug 17 2016, 11:27 PM) *

WTF?

John, I would not sell my car for less than $30k and I think I would have a line of people wanting it - '73 2.0

QUOTE(John @ Aug 17 2016, 11:48 PM) *

I don't know what year 930 you have, but I guarantee that if you have had it for quite a few years, it is probably worth 2-5 times what you paid. 911/930 Factory Turbo prices are uber insane!
Andyrew
QUOTE(John @ Aug 17 2016, 08:48 PM) *

I have a feeling there is a bit of sarcasm here... most everyone knows at this point that all porsches have appreciated over the past couple years and air cooled cars especially the rare performance ones have been skyrocketing up.

If you dont then your insurance company surely does and has informed you to increase your coverage.... poke.gif
era vulgaris
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 18 2016, 12:16 AM) *

real sixes and le's command money.real real nice others, 6000-10000, tops.

Please point me in the direction where I can buy a real real nice 914 with little to no rust, 5 footer paint, has original FI, that's running and driving reliably with no serious issues for $6-10k???? I'd really like to know because I'll probably be in the market for a car soon.

Five years ago, maybe. Today, it doesn't exist.
JoeDees
I agree with the above posters that so much depends on the car's details (original, restored, refreshed, modifications, etc) and especially on location. I think it's nearly impossible to put a blanket value on 914s.
injunmort
show me a nice 1.7l selling for, not asking for more, i see them frequently.
Cal
Some interesting sales history from Jeff Bowlsby's site....

era vulgaris
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 18 2016, 01:41 PM) *

show me a nice 1.7l selling for, not asking for more, i see them frequently.

I think we maybe have different definitions of 'nice'. Nice to me is: zero rust repair required; a little surface rust here or there is ok; paint shines nicely but upon close inspection may have some chips etc and evidence of being driven; interior is complete and in great shape with no cracks in the dash, maybe a nick or two in a seat bolster is fine; major electrical items function correctly; mechanically a car you could get in and drive as it is any day and time without worry.

Find me a $6-10K car like that, please!!!! I scour internet car classifieds for 914's and Karmann Ghias every morning while I drink coffee. I have for the last five or six years. It's become an obsession. Most people read the paper with their coffee. I look for Ghias and 914s. I've not seen these $6-10k 'nice' 914s that you're talking about for at least a couple years.

Here's a 1.7 in our own classifieds, which doesn't even meet my aesthetic criteria with a $13.5k asking price:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=290549
This is a car I really like actually, but it needs a complete exterior respray and the interior needs new seat covers and bolsters, and a new dash.
injunmort
saw one a month ago, nice original 74, 1.8l fi, without getting too intimate looked like a nice solid car, decent paint, 4 lug fuchs, asking $11,000.00. nobody pays asking price, and any realistic seller pads the price for this reason. i don't see decent cars trading for this kind of money on eBay. my feeling is most go unsold at auction because i reserve is set. with a production number well over 100,000 units it is hard to get collector car money for a 914 unless it is a collector car version e.g. 914/6 LE or one owned by someone famous or a race pedigree. i just don't see how a run of mill 914 will command the same type of money as a 911t in comparable condition, of the same era. i know some t owners think they own rsr's and price accordingly, but they don't trade at those valuations. this is not personal, i disagree with your valuation and desirability of our cars, thats all.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 18 2016, 06:30 PM) *

saw one a month ago, nice original 74, 1.8l fi, without getting too intimate looked like a nice solid car, decent paint, 4 lug fuchs, asking $11,000.00. nobody pays asking price, and any realistic seller pads the price for this reason. i don't see decent cars trading for this kind of money on eBay. my feeling is most go unsold at auction because i reserve is set. with a production number well over 100,000 units it is hard to get collector car money for a 914 unless it is a collector car version e.g. 914/6 LE or one owned by someone famous or a race pedigree. i just don't see how a run of mill 914 will command the same type of money as a 911t in comparable condition, of the same era. i know some t owners think they own rsr's and price accordingly, but they don't trade at those valuations. this is not personal, i disagree with your valuation and desirability of our cars, thats all.

So even your example is above your $6-10k number. And like you said, you didn't get too intimate. A large part of the value is in the sheet metal. Until you've scoured every inch of a car to really know how bad (or not) the rust is, value is only conjecture. Did it have black painted trunks? Then that's a no-go for me. Did it have any rust holes in the engine bay? That's a no go for me. Any rust in the longs? Are there any bubbles anywhere on the car? No go. Does the engine bay look like it's been around since the stone age? You get the idea.

I realize asking price isn't selling price. But you can usually discount 10-20% from an asking price for a realistic selling price. Most 'nice' and 'semi-nice' cars that I see for sale - like what I consider nice - would need a minimum 30-40% discount or more from asking price to fall into your price category.

Like I said, please point me to a 'nice' $6-10k fuel injected 914 that needs no rust repair, has nice paint and a nice interior, a clean engine bay and trunks, and doesn't need any major mechanical work to be a reliable any-time-you-want-to-hit-the-road driver. Please, I'm asking you.
injunmort
i will sell you my 1971 dd for $5000.00. body solid and no rust repair needed. paint is a matter of opinion, 73 1.7l gone thru last winter and day after start up drove to hershey (225 miles each way). no hiccups. drive daily with no further attention. new conti tires, nice refurbished pedrinis.perfect by no means, but nice and i think i am asking too much. because i don't really want to sell it. and if what you say is true. i know the car you bought from scottyboy. it was for sale here on craigslist for a while, it was at my house for a transmission clinic prior to you buying and i know of its issues. if your valuations are accurate, you got a screaming deal from scottyboy, but i know as many on this forum do, you felt quite the opposite. which is it?
era vulgaris
Got any pics? And I mean real pics of the areas we all know are issue areas.
injunmort
this weekend will do the full panorama
era vulgaris
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 18 2016, 07:22 PM) *

i will sell you my 1971 dd for $5000.00. body solid and no rust repair needed. paint is a matter of opinion, 73 1.7l gone thru last winter and day after start up drove to hershey (225 miles each way). no hiccups. drive daily with no further attention. new conti tires, nice refurbished pedrinis.perfect by no means, but nice and i think i am asking too much. because i don't really want to sell it. and if what you say is true. i know the car you bought from scottyboy. it was for sale here on craigslist for a while, it was at my house for a transmission clinic prior to you buying and i know of its issues. if your valuations are accurate, you got a screaming deal from scottyboy, but i know as many on this forum do, you felt quite the opposite. which is it?

Wait....you think I got a screaming deal from scotty boy?????!!! I paid $9k for a car that was folding in half, and had to put $2k into it just to make it as safe and reliable to drive as a car that's folding in half can be. If that's your idea of a screaming deal, then your valuations are waaaaaaaaaayyy off. That car was worth maybe $3-5k realistically.

Clearly you didn't spend any time whatsoever looking at that car in detail. It was like swiss cheese. I had to rebuild the entire FI system to make it drivable. The brake MC was leaking (had been for years to the point it had eaten a hole in the floor), and he said it was safe to drive anywhere. There was a 6-8" gaping hole in the driver's inner long that was covered by a piece of metal held on with flex seal, or some kind of rubber adhesive. Every piece of metal on that car had holes and rust-through, or was loaded up with bondo and then painted like the exterior. Fuck off with your 'screaming deal' on that car. If you think that was a 'nice' car, then no wonder you think there are 'nice' cars everywhere for under $10k. That car was a piece of shit. Ask John Forbes and the crew at Black Forest Racing. They told me they hadn't seen a car that bad in a long time, and advised I not spend another penny on it. That from a shop that makes it's livelihood restoring Porsches. They didn't want to work on that car. They didn't want to take my money to work on that car. That's how bad it was. Fuck you and your 'screaming deal'. Yeah, I'm still sore about how bad I got ripped off on that car.

Oh I just remembered also the time I was driving that car and the passenger side rear axle snapped in half, because apparently scotty boy though it was ok to weld two halves of an axle together to make one axle. Did you notice that when you looked at the car? Nope, because you didn't look at it closely enough to know anything about it.
You couldn't close the doors with the windows all the way up because the car was folding in half so bad. Both doors were scraping paint off both door jambs because the car was folding in half so bad.
If you drove through a puddle, water would come shooting into the cabin through the holes in the wheel wells.

That's your idea of a nice car????

It's apparent your definition of 'nice' is my definition of 'shitty'.
injunmort
i saw the car in detail and don't dispute its condition. the paint was ok and thats about it. but if nice one are $30,000.00 cars, that was a good place to start at $9,000.00. flared, decent paint and running. $15,000.00 buys a lot of welding. as i said, the car was for sale here semi-locally for a while before he bought it. could tell there were issues from the craigslist add. asking $6,000.00. had no inclination even to look at because of the add. it was driven here (about 60 miles each way) looked ok at 10 feet and ran. the rust was apparent. if i thought i could get 30k for this car repaired, i would have jumped on it immediately. i didn't think it was worth it, though running and "driving". my original point is you valuation of our cars and mine differ significantly. they are not nor will they be 911's.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Aug 18 2016, 05:11 AM) *

John I think you are mixing 'inflation' (the changed buying power of the currency over time) with the changed value of an item as it wears out / becomes more wanted (i.e. Valuable) over time.

If $6000 then is $33000 now, and most have rotted away (a liability for those owners, not an asset as you rightly point out) thus the good uns are more rare and more desirable for those with the urge and the cash, then it is not surprising that those good uns sell for more than purchase price (inflation adjusted).

My $9.14 worth.

Dave

If it has a positive value ie +.01 cents then it is an asset. All the money you dump into it is an expense. If you owe money on it then it is a liability. If you sell it for less than what you owe on it that is a loss. Pretty simple accounting 101. 18 months ago I sold my '74 2.0 for $20,000 and thought I got all the money well guess what it is close to a $30K car now, here is a picture. Also when I sold my car Hagerty was saying that a #1 car was $14K - $15K.

Click to view attachment
era vulgaris
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 18 2016, 08:52 PM) *

i saw the car in detail and don't dispute its condition. the paint was ok and thats about it. but if nice one are $30,000.00 cars, that was a good place to start at $9,000.00. flared, decent paint and running. $15,000.00 buys a lot of welding. as i said, the car was for sale here semi-locally for a while before he bought it. could tell there were issues from the craigslist add. asking $6,000.00. had no inclination even to look at because of the add. it was driven here (about 60 miles each way) looked ok at 10 feet and ran. the rust was apparent. if i thought i could get 30k for this car repaired, i would have jumped on it immediately. i didn't think it was worth it, though running and "driving". my original point is you valuation of our cars and mine differ significantly. they are not nor will they be 911's.

You wouldn't have gotten $30k for scotty boy's car because it didn't just need welding...it needed EVERYTHING. Welding and bodywork (every quarter panel, floorpan, both trunk floors, wheel wells, longitudinals, basically every piece of metal needed replacing), all electrical gone through, new complete interior, suspension, brakes, engine rebuild, FI rebuild, suspension linkage, axles, CV joints, bumpers, paint, etc. Basically you'd have to make a new car from scratch. That - and along with the fact that Scott lied through his teeth to me about it's condition - is why I was pissed and felt like I got ripped off. You'd be into that car for $40-50k by the time you were done.

Now, if you have a nice car like Mike Fitton's above. That's what I consider a 'nice' car. Yeah, that's a $20-30k car. Sorry man, but the nice condition cars are hitting that price range whether you like it or not. You won't find a nice car like Mike's under $10k. Hell, you probably won't find a nice original car like Mike's for under $20k.
wndsnd
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Aug 18 2016, 08:54 PM) *

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Aug 18 2016, 05:11 AM) *

My $9.14 worth.

Dave

If it has a positive value ie +.01 cents then it is an asset. All the money you dump into it is an expense. If you owe money on it then it is a liability. If you sell it for less than what you owe on it that is a loss. Pretty simple accounting 101. 18 months ago I sold my '74 2.0 for $20,000 and thought I got all the money well guess what it is close to a $30K car now, here is a picture. Also when I sold my car Hagerty was saying that a #1 car was $14K - $15K.

Click to view attachment

Shame you sold that car Mike. Someone got a real nice car.
injunmort
i have been collecting/horse trading motorcycles for 40 years. triumph bonnevilles are very sought after, especially 1959's. first year and a lot of one year only fitments, also low production numbers. a tool room bonneville (first 150 bikes produced) is a $25,000.00 motorcycle at best. 1959 bonneville in the same condition is a $20,000.00 motorcycle. 1963 -1970 the most refined of the line and the most produced especially 1968-1970. for a very original very clean time capsule, $12-15k. anything restored no matter how correct 6-9k. sure there are people claiming they sold a perfect 1970 bonneville with upgraded electronic ignition, hagon shocks and don hutchinson paint job for 18,000.00. i know it cost that much to restore it to that condition, but only an idiot and charlatan would pay it. they made way too many to have that kind of value. kinda like the 914.
injunmort
i would not call that a nice car, i would call that an exceptional car, time capsule. i don't doubt that big money's paid for an example like that and still commands even bigger money. there is a huge gap between that car and your everyday nice 914. that car looks as though it came out of a time machine. you see many of those at any price?
era vulgaris
QUOTE(injunmort @ Aug 18 2016, 09:25 PM) *

i would not call that a nice car, i would call that an exceptional car, time capsule. i don't doubt that big money's paid for an example like that and still commands even bigger money. there is a huge gap between that car and your everyday nice 914. that car looks as though it came out of a time machine. you see many of those at any price?

#1 condition cars are rare, but they do pop up from time to time. But that doesn't mean that #2 condition cars aren't worth anything. A nice #2 should be in the mid to high teens, maybe peeking into the 20's if it's really nice. Not sub-$10k.
I think your valuations are low.
mepstein
I haven't driven my 914, 1.7 all summer (it's been really hot sad.gif ) So since it's just been sitting in the garage, my wife asked me the other day if if would sell it and she would use the money to buy a new car for herself. (I do have other cars and other 914's, I see her point) I said honey, I'm ok with that plan but the car needs some rust repair, maybe $5k, then I can probably sell it for $15k. She said, is that all, I though they where worth more. I laughed and said, no, not really. She said, never mind.

Little red is still in my garage. I was never worried smile.gif
injunmort
maybe splitting hairs, but a car like that, to me is not a #1, that is a unicorn. to me, #1 is a very clean, no rust original car pretty much used over 40-45 years but meticulously cared for, or a very nicely refreshed good original car. same motor and trans, proper respray period correct and nice, but not technically original. slide the scale down from there. a 3 to me, good paper all there, running, driving, restorable but needs cosmetic and mechanical. mucho dollars to bring to even #2. 4, it has a paper, ssi exchangers and some good parts to cover the effort to part it. 5 ,you don't even want to cut it up, too much work.
JoeDees
Yeah, I don't think you're going to find a #1 quality for under $10k. I think a #2 hits that on the low end of the pricing scale, but to me #2 quality cars are harder to price because they typically involve modifications. For example I think my 1973 build will be an oddball #2; rust free, rotisserie repaired with a full non-original respray, rebuilt engine and brakes, all new rubber, but will lack some in the originality since I'm going to go carbs on the 1.7 and a few other mods. I'm guessing it's value will sit in the $10-12k range, maybe $15k depending on the economy and demand in Cincinnati when it's done.
Big Len
#1 condition cars are rare, but they do pop up from time to time. But that doesn't mean that #2 condition cars aren't worth anything. A nice #2 should be in the mid to high teens, maybe peeking into the 20's if it's really nice. Not sub-$10k.
I think your valuations are low.
[/quote]
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.