Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: it's about mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Whitney Mic
hi again,

Okay, I am looking at a really nice car to replace the '75 I killed. It's beautiful

but

I just noticed a slight problem: no door mirrors, so it's not street legal in CA. The last thing I want to do is to drill the doors, and I have one plan that should work as a temporary solution, but I'm wondering if anyone else has something to contribute.

My off the cuff plan is to buy a couple of motorcycle mirrors. The ones I'm thinking of match the color scheme inside and outside of the car. I plan to use my 3-D printer to build a block that will fit over the triangle window and be held in place by the seal there. I can design a very thin and long edge to keep the part snug and in place without interfering with the window and door action.

I can mount the motorcycle mirrors to the part I made, and keep the doors in perfect condition.

I'm not committed to the plan. For instance, I would prefer the car to look as close to stock as I can, so I would be happy to find a more appropriate looking solution. The only reason I like the motorcycle mirrors is that the colors are red and black, so they fit the look of the car in that way, and they are a little smaller than the other options I have found. Kind of Triangular and they stick out a bit though:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FM34JD...=A2TDYJQNSJC19Q

(hope that works) As I say, I would prefer something a *lot* more stock in appearance, so any ideas you have, I want to hear them.

I may not have a critical need for an answer if I don't buy the car, but I thought I'd ask what people think and find out what others would do in this situation.

Your opinion may change how I deal with this when (I hope) I get the car. Please chip in with any thoughts.

Thanks,

-- Whit
Coondog
WTF.gif are you talking about another 914.......
Drivers side would have come with a factory mirror so unknown why that mounting hole would have been covered. Either way both doors will have the bolt mounts for the mirrors installed already inside the door. It's a simple 2 minute job to drill out the holes for 914 mirrors not motorcycle mirrors.....OMG
Rand
something smells familiar.

Whitney Mic
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 13 2016, 07:24 PM) *

Drivers side would have come with a factory mirror so unknown why that mounting hole would have been covered. Either way both doors will have the bolt mounts for the mirrors installed already inside the door. It's a simple 2 minute job to drill out the holes for 914 mirrors not motorcycle mirrors.....OMG

Well, Coondog,

I can only go by what I have seen in the pics:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=290410

I don't see a mirror mounted on either door of the car.

I don't *want* to put motorcycle mirrors on, but if those doors don't have holes in already, I would prefer not to be the one that drilled into that virgin metal.

I was looking at the motorcycle mirrors as something temporary, to get it legal until I decide how I want to permanently deal with the issue.

I can probably build a 3-D printed bracket to do the same thing with a stock mirror as I thought to do with the bike mirrors.

Also, I posted on the forum looking for constructive advice for my question, so if you don't have a better suggestion than: you must be crazy stupid because all 914s have door mirrors, you aren't really offering a solution for me, but hey, thanks for your input.

I would still like to know how other people would deal with a problem like this if it were their car that had no visible mirror mounts on the doors.

I think a small 3-D printed block designed to fit the door is a pretty good idea, no matter what kind of mirror I attach to the block.

When I get the car, I can determine if the doors are set up to hold mirrors, and if so, I will get an absolutely stock solution. If the doors aren't drilled for that, I will be looking for some way to mount mirrors on the car so I don't have to drill.

I just don't know what is there, yet...

-- Whit
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Adhesive,modern epoxy from WestSystem™.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/specialty-epoxies/
The seat for the mirror must have sufficient area and match the curvature of the doorskin.
A stiffener panel inside the door,larger than the outside seat area,will add stability.
Most doors have holes anyways,so an adjustable,heated and lit mirror is an option.
smile.gif
/
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 13 2016, 09:37 PM) *

You have a good nose. Same m.o. Same smartass answer
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Aug 13 2016, 08:16 PM) *

Adhesive,modern epoxy from WestSystem™.
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/specialty-epoxies/
The seat for the mirror must have sufficient area and match the curvature of the doorskin.
A stiffener panel inside the door,larger than the outside seat area,will add stability.
Most doors have holes anyways,so an adjustable and heated and lit mirror is an option.
smile.gif
/

Thanks veekry9,

I appreciate the answer. If I go that route, I think I will use the epoxy on the glass of the triangle window to save the door. That will add to the stability of my widget.

Now, I have only to find a mirror that won't offend Coondog's aesthetic sensibility...

Really liked your pics from the WTF?? thread, too.

beerchug.gif

-- Whit
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 13 2016, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 13 2016, 09:37 PM) *

You have a good nose. Same m.o. Same smartass answer

I *was* hoping it wasn't my stank... shades.gif

Nice to know for sure.

-- Whit
RAX914
If you do decide to go original, here's the how to: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ight_mirror.htm
ConeDodger
Pull the interior door panels. You will see the screw holes from the inside, then you can center punch and drill for the factory mirrors.
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 13 2016, 08:39 PM) *

Pull the interior door panels. You will see the screw holes from the inside, then you can center punch and drill for the factory mirrors.

Hi ConeDodger,

Once I buy and have the car, it will be one of the first things I check. if everything is in place I will probably go that route. The doors look so clean without mirrors though that I may go ahead with my idea of making a widget.

Using the printed widget, I can attach any type of stock mirrors to the car, no matter how I deal with the mounting part of things.

I am sorely tempted to spend the $25.00 to get the motorcycle mirrors:

I am in driving distance of Apple Valley, CA and if I do buy them, I think I will drive up and post a pic of my awful motorcycle be-mirrored 914 at whatever pool hall or bar passes itself off as the Apple Valley center of government.

Not that I'm trying to poke.gif at anyone in particular.

Thanks,

-- Whit
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 13 2016, 06:37 PM) *

agree.gif , but I don't get the why. There are scores of millions that one could harass on the internet in any number of ways. Why has the JO chosen us? confused24.gif
worn
If they are real doors they should have the holes. The factory nuts will be just beneath the skin and on the left will have been drilled through for you. No holes means someone has filled them. Easy way out is to cover the region with the mirror that matches.
If you want to look modern you can do what we have now with our cars and stuff something onto the wing window. Even in the 914 the wing window is vestigial. Still, the remainder of the car screams 1970s, so it may or may not make sense. I am considering flag mirrors, but only cause I want them electric.
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 13 2016, 09:07 PM) *

If you want to look modern you can do what we have now with our cars and stuff something onto the wing window.

yeah.

That was sort of what I was thinking; mount something to the wing window, and then attach a mirror that fits with the 1970s era style of the car. The main difference is that I will be making my own part to fit between the mirror mounting and the door/window instead of trying to find an existing unit that fits on to the car.

As I said up thread, the motorcycle mirror idea was just a temporary thing. I wanted to do that so I could drive the car around without getting pulled over and hassled by the police (plus, mirrors are nice to have on the doors so you can see the cars in the blind spots behind you). It is an idea for a cheap and easy fix, but it's only a short term solution.

Thanks for all the responses! As I hoped, there are a couple of good ideas I can incorporate into my plan.

I will be starting a WTB thread to find era correct or stock mirrors for the car if I am so lucky to have her, but if anyone has a good source and wants to post that here, I would love to see a link!

-- Whit
Larmo63
A 914 Porsche does NOT look good with an aftermarket side mirror. IMHO.

It is so easy to drill out the doors and do it properly.

I've seen some racing 914s with mirrors that look "okay."

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

BTW, that car looks scary.
Madswede
Hmm. Just as another data point, I was worried about drilling my passenger side for the mirror (they're the same right or left, by the way), the holes for which had been painted over. It was a bit nerve wracking but I did it without a problem. I could actually see where the mirror was to go. The doors (if they're real 914 doors as someone said) all have the screw holes there. Just might be hidden by painting over. Wasn't hard. Did it all in a few minutes following instructions that someone else posted already. Then I removed them both, blacked them out, and remounted them again (actually swapped sides since my new one was clearer and wanted it on drivers side). confused24.gif Looks great to me...
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 13 2016, 09:39 PM) *

A 914 Porsche does NOT look good with an aftermarket side mirror.

It is so easy to drill out the doors and do it properly.

I will probably do just that if I buy the car. If I don't drill the doors, I will want to have the mirrors in the same place on the door, I would just raise the mounting up enough to keep the paint job nice. If I can do it just right, I think that only someone from the forum would pick up on the difference.

That would be my goal, if I don't "drill baby drill!!"

Love your Avatar, BTW. "Clint squints!"

-- Whit
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(RAX 914 @ Aug 13 2016, 08:38 PM) *

If you do decide to go original, here's the how to: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ight_mirror.htm

I missed that answer in the crowd.

Thanks Rax, I will look into that more when (or if; and oh, I hope it's when) I have the car at hand.

edit: just realized that's Pelican Parts, they will be happy, I am already planning on spending a bunch there (and everywhere else), if all works out./edit

-- Whit
Millerwelds
"If I buy the car"

"If I go that route"

"If", "If", "If", "If", "If"

If I can get these guys to respond..... beerchug.gif
amfab
Looks like the arms on those motorcycle mirrors are long enough to mount on the windshield wiper nuts. This avoids drilling or gluing.

You should be fine if it doesn't rain.

There would be a side benefit as you could very easily check rear tire inflation and for police aircraft—tires, planes, tires, planes...
MegaLug
Funny stuff

HF sells a 20 lb pull magnet making the locations of possible mounting places endless
Garland
VW Rabbit 80's mirror

Click to view attachment
Coondog
QUOTE(Whitney Mic @ Aug 13 2016, 08:56 PM) *

I am in driving distance of Apple Valley, CA and if I do buy them, I think I will drive up and post a pic of my awful motorcycle be-mirrored 914 at whatever pool hall or bar passes itself off as the Apple Valley center of government.

Thanks,

-- Whit :

We have to many Deer here you would never make it......... lol-2.gif

Coondog
QUOTE(Whitney Mic @ Aug 13 2016, 08:56 PM) *

Thanks,

-- Whit :

We have to many Deer and parked cars here you would never make it......... lol-2.gif

914bub
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Aug 14 2016, 06:20 AM) *

"If I buy the car"

"If I go that route"

Lets not be too hard on an up and coming senior member. speaking of post counts, where's Mark Henry?

On a serious note, 73 Mustang mirrors,......... seriously.
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Aug 14 2016, 06:20 AM) *

"If I buy the car"

"If I go that route"

At this moment, everything regarding the car is a big "if."

If the owner can get it to the mech shop for PPI before they close for the day,
and
If the mech shop has a garage to keep the car indoors
and
If it passes the exam to my satisfaction
and
If nothing goes wrong in shipping
and
If about twenty other things
then
I will have a car that I can put really ugly mirrors on

Because the idea will bother some folk like they had a burr under the tail

(I really do like the stock mirrors -- don't tell anyone)

-- Whit
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(amfab @ Aug 14 2016, 07:49 AM) *

Looks like the arms on those motorcycle mirrors are long enough to mount on the windshield wiper nuts. This avoids drilling or gluing.

You should be fine if it doesn't rain.

There would be a side benefit as you could very easily check rear tire inflation and for police aircraft—tires, planes, tires, planes...

You know, I did see something in the ad for the car about how it never gets wet.

That would be a perfect solution for me since I will never need to use the wipers...

I can avoid a lot of speeding tickets that way

-- Whit

Laughing my ass off over your punchline, thank you!
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(Garland @ Aug 14 2016, 08:29 AM) *

VW Rabbit 80's mirror

Click to view attachment

I like the chrome stock style, but if I go for something different, it would look a lot like that.

Good call!

--Whit

edit:Just realized I "iffed" again, sorry.

I have decided to go with the stock mirrors, conditional upon whether or not I purchase the vehicle...

is that better? /edit
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 14 2016, 09:20 AM) *

We have to many Deer and parked cars here you would never make it......... lol-2.gif

I don't think I have to worry about the deer, been driving for thirty years now, they're usually fast enough to get out of the way. Dogs are a lot slower.

and BTW,
Please step out of the echo chamber, we heard you the first time, too.

I looked, but I didn't see a GIF on the control panel of someone fishing...

I would have posted such a file along side the link to the bike mirrors if had found it...

I seem to have something on the hook anyway, probably an old boot or something equally lacking in value, but at least as large -- in volume...

-- Whit
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914bub @ Aug 14 2016, 12:23 PM) *

Lets not be too hard on an up and coming senior member. speaking of post counts, where's Mark Henry?

Compared to TC and URY914 I'm an amature. shades.gif

I'd check the drivers door first, the PO may have mig welded the holes shut.
If that's the case i'd be wanting to go over the whole car with a paint thickness gauge.
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 14 2016, 10:46 AM) *

Compared to TC and URY914 I'm an amature. shades.gif

I'd check the drivers door first, the PO may have mig welded the holes shut.
If that's the case i'd be wanting to go over the whole car with a paint thickness gauge.

Thank you Mark, that is a very helpful response.

I don't know if I can get the mechs at the shop to look at paint thickness as part of the inspection, but if it as as you suggest and the holes are welded shut, I will look in to having that done if I can.

I think I would have a hell of a hard time drilling them out again if welded shut. At least the holes would be under a seal when I finished.

If the holes are migged closed, I should probably leave that job to my brother with the wizard mechanical touch.

I might really screw up the door if I tried to fix it on my own. Better to trust another's hand at it, I have limited experience working on finished body parts.

I'd hate to do something stupid that I would have to see every time I opened the door to drive the car...

and by the way: you, an amateur? Forum Member #26!? an amateur with a two digit member #?

pray.gif

Thanks for responding to the newbie's thread!

Umm, in case you missed it, there's a whole lot of slap.gif going on in here, so watch out you don't get a custard pie to the face. I'd be mortified if that happened.

-- Whit
cary
Here's another thought.
A 935 style. Like the one here on the SCRS.
Attaches to the door frame and wing window.

Click to view attachment

Whitney Mic
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 14 2016, 12:10 PM) *

Here's another thought.
A 935 style. Like the one here on the SCRS.
Attaches to the door frame and wing window.

Click to view attachment

Thanks cary,

Another clean looking option.

I have narrowed it down to two choices. Stock chrome, or the '80s Rabbit mirror for the black color.

The Rabbit model mirror is the closest I have seen to the stock unit so far, and I am sure I can get a convex mirror for the passenger side of the car.

I really appreciate all of the ideas and advice. I hope no one minds the bike mirror troll too much. I figured I would get more answers if you guys were having a bit of a laugh at me when you read the first post.

I think it worked out that way, and I enjoyed the chuckle even if it didn't get me any more responses!

-- Whit
914bub
Whit
I just ribbin' ya. It was a reference to some recent posts. I'm from Santa Cruz, moved out two years ago. We lived on thirty acres in La Selva, got priced out..... Man do we miss it.
Whitney Mic
's nuthin.

I'm having just as much fun with the thread.

Even a noob like me knows there would be a reaction from a large group on this forum for posting such an abominable idea as putting those mirrors on one of these cars...

I may not be the best mech, and I haven't even tried doing bodywork. I have great respect for the guys that can and do the incredible restorations that keep these cars purring down the highway.

I also have the ability to laugh at myself; I see the humor in warm-hearted kidding around, and I can take a bit of ribbing about my lack of skill.

I know my limits. That's why I am glad to have a brother like mine. If I tried to buy those mirrors to put on the car, he'd just give me a look, pick them up and toss them in the trash. Walk away, shaking his head.

Wouldn't even say a word...

I did want to find out what to do with the un-drilled doors. I'm glad to see the tips on the procedure.

No doubt I will be kicking around for the long haul, ready to say something outrageously stupid whenever I see reason rear it's ugly head.

Tell you what though, if I get that car, there are a bunch of folk I have met on the forum that I want to drive out and buy a beer. From the number of smilies available to post devoted to the brew, I doubt there are many here who would be disappointed in the offer.

*If* everything goes well this week, I will have the car inspected and decide whether or not to buy. At the price I would pay, I can put some money into fixing some things, but anything that needs serious repair would require access to talent, tools, and a shop. I don't have much of the first two items, and no idea where to look for the third of those things, so I have to consider my purchase carefully.

Nervous, not sure if it's hope or worry... at this point, I just want to know: good or bad?

-- Whit
porschetub
Buy the car first then start of new eh....... biggrin.gif
914werke
QUOTE(Rand @ Aug 13 2016, 07:37 PM) *

Rand I think you have a keen nose dry.gif
Bulldog9
"I'm in California and looking to buy a car in NJ (cause there are so few 914's in California) and want to keep it stock but am considering some batman style motorcycle mirrors and have a snarky attitude" Yeah, nothing fishy here.

Is it just me or is the world attracting its fair share of the massengill crowd lately?
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(Steve Pratel @ Aug 14 2016, 11:35 PM) *

Is it just me or is the world attracting its fair share of the massengill crowd lately?

Nice to meet you too, Steve. bye1.gif

Sure is nice to see so many friendly folk here. Appears that Steve is the kind of person to enjoy long walks on a Summer's Eve as well...

Bless his heart.

-- Whit
dlkawashima
Hey Whit. IF you get the car and IF you choose to go with stock mirrors, you should be aware that the driver's side mirror glass is flat while the passenger side is convex (objects are closer than they appear).

In my opinion, stock mirrors are your best option but IF you really want to go with an aftermarket mirror, my favorite is the Talbot Berlin 366 rectangular mirror. They aren't cheap ...

IPB Image

IPB Image
EdwardBlume
Punching out the stock mirror mounts is easy, unless as MH points out they've been welded. Not sure why a gorgeous car would weld mirrors shut and go without. Seems like a good idea to have mirrors IMHO.

Motorcycle mirrors are on the same isle as tire scrappers, Kraco radios, and all purpose mud flaps.
87m491
Does California not have "antique" registrations or similar to allow vintage cars that may never have been so equipped to be on the road? Here, a car more than 25 years old is eligible and does not need to be inspected, but also can't be a daily driver. That said, it seems you are OK driving it with no mirrors so why don't you do a quick Google dive and get some suction cup mounted things, like RV and trailer drivers use, that will pass inspection then take them off once you get the sticker? The whole 3D thing, while cool, seems WAY overthink/kill to me.....

QUOTE(Whitney Mic @ Aug 13 2016, 07:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Aug 13 2016, 07:24 PM) *

Well, Coondog,

I can only go by what I have seen in the pics:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=290410

I don't see a mirror mounted on either door of the car.

I don't *want* to put motorcycle mirrors on, but if those doors don't have holes in already, I would prefer not to be the one that drilled into that virgin metal.

I was looking at the motorcycle mirrors as something temporary, to get it legal until I decide how I want to permanently deal with the issue.

I can probably build a 3-D printed bracket to do the same thing with a stock mirror as I thought to do with the bike mirrors.

Also, I posted on the forum looking for constructive advice for my question, so if you don't have a better suggestion than: you must be crazy stupid because all 914s have door mirrors, you aren't really offering a solution for me, but hey, thanks for your input.

I would still like to know how other people would deal with a problem like this if it were their car that had no visible mirror mounts on the doors.

I think a small 3-D printed block designed to fit the door is a pretty good idea, no matter what kind of mirror I attach to the block.

When I get the car, I can determine if the doors are set up to hold mirrors, and if so, I will get an absolutely stock solution. If the doors aren't drilled for that, I will be looking for some way to mount mirrors on the car so I don't have to drill.

I just don't know what is there, yet...

-- Whit

Whitney Mic
QUOTE(87m491 @ Aug 15 2016, 05:44 AM) *

Does California not have "antique" registrations or similar to allow vintage cars that may never have been so equipped to be on the road? Here, a car more than 25 years old is eligible and does not need to be inspected, but also can't be a daily driver. That said, it seems you are OK driving it with no mirrors so why don't you do a quick Google dive and get some suction cup mounted things, like RV and trailer drivers use, that will pass inspection then take them off once you get the sticker? The whole 3D thing, while cool, seems WAY overthink/kill to me.....

That would work,

I'm going with either stock or the 80's VW style for the car.

only real question is do I 3-D print or drill now, Likely will drill.

-- Whit
Cuda911
CA does not have a safety inspection. Just a smog inspection. So, driving a car with three missing brake calipers is fine, as long as your emissions pass.

I have never heard of anyone being cited for a missing mirror. Yes, it is theoretically possible, but for this thread to be taking place without OP even owning the car is silly.
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 15 2016, 07:25 AM) *

for this thread to be taking place without OP even owning the car is silly.

agree.gif , 100%.

I thought that was given from the start with the bike mirror question.

Thought I would get a couple more answers to the real question of "what to do for the apparently un-drilled doors," if I started with a lame joke. I thought there would be a one or two posts of outrage at the idea, and a few people might chip in some ideas while I dream of getting a new to me car and what I may do with it. I did get that much out of this; I never expected this kind of response to my bit of a joke.

Anyone taking the thread seriously is missing the fun. Life is too short to lose the opportunity for even a single smile. I feel sorry for the people that always walk around with the "must be serious all the time" attitude. I think they're doing it wrong...

If the frowners think I've stepped on a few toes, I apologize for the bootyshake.gif cheek.

For the folks that had ideas and answered with suggestions, I thank you. beerchug.gif

For those that were entertained by the absurd content of the thread, glad I could play the fool for you, shades.gif

and those that took this thread so seriously they resorted to insult and name calling, KMA.gif .

Everybody else is first.gif

-- Whit
Millerwelds
QUOTE(Cuda911 @ Aug 15 2016, 07:25 AM) *

CA does not have a safety inspection. Just a smog inspection. So, driving a car with three missing brake calipers is fine, as long as your emissions pass.

I have never heard of anyone being cited for a missing mirror. Yes, it is theoretically possible, but for this thread to be taking place without OP even owning the car is silly.

Agreed. Let us know when you have the car in your driveway and the rhetoric becomes reality. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
state law is a mirror you can see 200 ft behind unobstructed, there are states that do require a inside and door mirror..kinda like trailer brakes..

Get a strap on...done
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CIPA-11650-Delux...dingMethod=p13n
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 15 2016, 08:10 AM) *

Get a strap on...done

Insinuating something?

laugh.gif

-- Whit
billh1963
Glue to the mirror like the '72 6 conversion I had.....worked fine

Click to view attachment
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Aug 15 2016, 08:15 AM) *

Glue to the mirror like the '72 6 conversion I had.....worked fine

Click to view attachment

That looks like something I could do, should the 3-D idea fail.

I like the stock mirror look best so far, even enough to drill. Second choice is the 80s Rabbit mirror, which is very close but has the black cover. Your idea is now a hot third place contender.

At this point it's still just speculation... waiting to hear form guy this afternoon to see if he could get the car to the shop before closing time.

I just want to know one way or the other hissyfit.gif

Thanks for your post,

-- Whit
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.