Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel leak from fuel line going through tunnel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
22truckie
Ok. Here is my problem. The main fuel supply plastic line that comes from the fuel tank under the car and through the tunnel is slowly leaking/ more like seeping fuel from where it comes out of the tunnel through a small rubber donut plug ( it is next to a metal funnel piece that I believe the clutch hose goes through (?). Anyway there is another fuel hose right next to it ( the return line ?). That one is fine. Both have a substantially sharp bend in them as they come out of the rubber grommet at the very bottom of the fire wall under the car. The first Jose I describe ( the one right next to the metal funnel is leaking right at the sharp bend. I am assuming the leak is at the very sharp bend in the line as it exits the tunnel. My question is this: Can I pull on the plastic line as it comes out of the tunnel to expose the leak at the bend and splice in high pressure rubber hose with clamps to fix the leak? I assume the other end of this line is in the fuel tank area. Is there enough slack in the system on the other side to pull some through to accomplish this? Thoughts? Ideas??? Thanks guys!!!!
oakdalecurtis
You can always just wait until something happens to you like happened to me! As a newly elected Councilman in a small rural central California city, I was asked by to bring my '76 teener to drive in the annual city Christmas parade through town. I pulled into the parade line and began slowly idling down the main street route with another Councilman in the passenger seat. We hadn't gone far when a man on the sidewalk approached the side of our little yellow ride and told us we were "leaking water under the car real bad". That's an interesting comment since there is no water onboard a 914 to leak! I opened my door and leaned out to look under the car, only to see gasoline spraying down mid tunnel and rapidly pooling under the car! I quickly told my Council colleague to get out of the car fast! Then I franticly waved to onlookers to create an opening among the sidewalk crowd of people, and drove the still running 914 into a dirt field and shut it off. I left a trail of gasoline on the ground behind the car at least a foot wide as I went toward the field.
After having my 914 towed to my mechanic, as you probably already guessed, the fuel line, under pressure from tank in front to the engine in the rear, decided to split after 30 years, at that opportune moment during the parade. I had the fuel line repaired and all was fine.
I was invited to the city Christmas parade again the following year. When I pulled up in my teener to get in the parade line this time, my Council colleagues were standing nearby on the curb with lighters, flicking them repeatedly and saying they were "ready for me this year!" That's how you know who your friends are in politics!!!!
JawjaPorsche
Just replace them with stainless lines from Tangerine Racing. Don't cut corners with your teener!
BeatNavy
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Aug 19 2016, 04:41 AM) *

Just replace them with stainless lines from Tangerine Racing. Don't cut corners with your teener!

agree.gif

Don't even attempt to "repair" or splice the plastic line. Buy these: http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

And do this: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=168383

It can be done with engine in the car. It's not that hard. There's a instructional video floating around about how to do it that I can never get my hands on when I need it...but again, it's not that hard, and there are other threads here on the site with people's experiences doing this. Good luck.
mepstein
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Aug 19 2016, 06:04 AM) *

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Aug 19 2016, 04:41 AM) *

agree.gif

Don't even attempt to "repair" or splice the plastic line. Buy these: http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

And do this: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=168383

It can be done with engine in the car. It's not that hard. There's a instructional video floating around about how to do it that I can never get my hands on when I need it...but again, it's not that hard, and there are other threads here on the site with people's experiences doing this. Good luck.

agree.gif don't cheap out. For $150-200 do it right and safe. Give Chris a call, he will put together the correct package for your car and you will be good for another 45 years.
Bartlett 914
I have done this with the SS lines 3 times now. i will never keep a car with the plastic lines. It really isn't a bad job. The cost is very reasonable.
Chris H.
agree.gif Very easy and inexpensive investment. Otherwise you are literally playing with fire since you have a breach. All it takes is a spark or two.
iwanta914-6
Oh dear god, please do not try to repair the old brittle 40+ year old fuel lines. SS is the ONLY way to go unless you want to watch your 914 go up in flames.
RAX914
You should also inspect/replace the lines in the engine bay as well. There are a couple of plastic lines there also.
mepstein
QUOTE(RAX 914 @ Aug 19 2016, 10:20 AM) *

You should also inspect/replace the lines in the engine bay as well. There are a couple of plastic lines there also.

Yes, I had small leaks on my car, weaping lines, until ALL the lines were replaced and new seals on the injectors. A fi car shouldn't smell like gas.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(RAX 914 @ Aug 19 2016, 10:20 AM) *

agree.gif
Tangerine has the engine bay hard lines in SS as well as kits to replace all of the rubber lines and hose clamps - just do it all, do it once, and be done!
r_towle
Before Foley started making lines, maybe over ten years ago, I replaced my tunnel lines with flexible copper lines like what is used for furnace fuel lines.

Still not leaking.
Heard all the screaming about copper...

If I was going to do it today, I would buy Foleys lines.
If money is an issue...copper works.

rich
napasteve
Where is your fuel pump? Up front or back under the engine shelf?

Either way, I also recommend Tangerine SS lines. I'm not a mechanic and even I could replace the lines (fyi you can do this with the engine in place). I also installed a new fuel pump because the original stopped working (perhaps because it sat dry for 6 weeks?).

Once the new lines are in, no more gas smells or anxiety about the car burning up thing.
Mblizzard
Ok I nearly "shit a brick" when saw that someone had spliced my plastic lines. Nothing but bad things happen with 49 year old plastic lines. Get the TR lines and fast.
porschetub
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 20 2016, 08:57 AM) *

Before Foley started making lines, maybe over ten years ago, I replaced my tunnel lines with flexible copper lines like what is used for furnace fuel lines.

Still not leaking.
Heard all the screaming about copper...

If I was going to do it today, I would buy Foleys lines.
If money is an issue...copper works.

rich

agree.gif coppers fine but it needs support and has less resistance to movement or fretting,and yes it works as larger diameter brake line tubing can be used.
Pulled my stock plastic lines they were still in excellent condition...my rubber hoses were a firebomb waiting to happen sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.