Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 lug Fuchs under stock fenders.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
daytona
Hi guys,
I have a set of four 5 lug fuchs. These are the all fronts from a 944 Turbo. The wheels are 16x7. The reason I got these wheels is because I was told that they fit under the stock fenders on my 1974 914. Can anyone tell me what are the largest tires that I can fit on these wheels and still maintain the stock fenders?
Thanks,
Bill.
messix
depending on how Hans and Gunter built the car that day anything from a 205 to a 225
brant
Your not going to get a 225 anything under an actually stock fender

Maybe heavily rolled. Maybe
Chris914n6
QUOTE(brant @ Aug 20 2016, 02:48 PM) *

Your not going to get a 225 anything under an actually stock fender

Maybe heavily rolled. Maybe

Depends on the offset. Fuchs no, Boxr yes.
boxstr
I have run 205/45/16 under stock fenders.
Craig at CAMP
mepstein
Depending on the car, those wheels might not fit at all.
colingreene
I dunno if it would fit, i bought 6's because i did not want to move metal on my car thats very straight.
I figured if i wanted bigger wheels i would suck it up and flare it.
Honestly a 6 with good tyres and a well set up spension should have plenty of grip.
sixnotfour
all fuchs 16 x 7s have the same offset 911 /951 ...951 have brake cali clearance
JRust
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Aug 20 2016, 08:55 PM) *

all fuchs 16 x 7s have the same offset 911 /951 ...951 have brake cali clearance

agree.gif Jeff know's his Fuchs. Rolled fenders in the rear for sure. Fronts will be no problem. I'd say better luck with a lower profile like the 205/45 craig mentioned. I did run 215/40/16's on all for corners with no problems but my rear lips were rolled
messix
jeff how big did you go on 7"s
sixnotfour
225/50 roll em smoke.gif
daytona
Thanks guys,
That is a lot of info. I see that most suggest 205s. I didn't think that you could fit 205s on a 7" wide rim.
So it seems that 205s for sure, 215s maybe, and 225s yes but I will need to roll the lips on the rear fenders. Do I have it right?
Thanks for the responses.
Bill.
mepstein
205's on 16x7 is not "for sure" on the back. But if you want to think that, go ahead and buy the tires. smile.gif

225 is more than rolling the lip. It's heavily massaging the whole fender.
brant
I think that you should run 6 inch wide wheels of f you want a guaranteed fitment.

I've converted 3 cars to 5 bolt suspension
You might get 7's? Not a guarantee
Spoke
7x16 Fuchs on the rear with 225/50/16. Had to pull the fenders out to make it fit. Wheels and tires look awesome now.
boxstr
The 205/45/16 tires that I used on the 7" Fuchs were Dunlop sport tires, I was able to find complete dimensions for these tires and determined before purchase if they would work. And they did. Please note, the clearance can be very different from one side to the other side. This is just inherent in the 914, manufacturing was not laser precise on the rear suspension. After mounted you may find that one side has lots of clearance, and you go to the other side and you are lucky to be able to slide a thin dime between tire and fender edge.
Craig at CAMP
Chris914n6
Good point above. Tire brand matters, I've seen up to 5/8" difference in width on same 225 designation.
Tirerack.com does a good job listing individual tire specs.
DRPHIL914
Mine didn't fit it was too tight, they rubbed and blistered the paint and then making matters worse the attempt to stretch them bent the lips and buckles them- so be careful when stretching them- who helps you do this or how you approach it- I had 6" and the fit perfect, the 7" rims rubbed- but this is not on all cars , some have put in 7's with no mod, you never know until you try.
DRPHIL914
So...
rhodyguy
Makes for an expensive set of shoes and a major hassle for a tad more tire width.
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 21 2016, 03:28 PM) *

Makes for an expensive set of shoes and a major hassle for a tad more tire width.

Exactly! I just did a 5 lug conversion with 6" cookies and 205x60x15. Might not be the perfect size for everybody but it's a no brainer as far as fitting on the car. Modern rubber gives a lot of grip with our 914's.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 21 2016, 03:28 PM) *

Exactly dry.gif
Sometimes we learn the hard way.....
billh1963
My '72 has 6" Fuchs all around running Pirelli P7's.....no fitment issues at all.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.