Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Push the clutch, heard a snap, and then the pedal went to the grounD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anthony

I just called a tow truck which is an hour away.

Any words of wisdom? Any chance I could fix it before they get here?
SirAndy
Clutch tube broke lose either inside the center tunnel or at the rear firewall or both ...
sad.gif
anthony
Crap! That doesn't sound like a quick fix.
SirAndy
Or maybe your clutch cable just snapped. But they rarely do ...
idea.gif
bretth
I would have thought the clutch cable snapped or cable pulley let go on the trans but I haven't had enough experience with mine to be sure. If the cable has snapped you may want to look under the car and see if the cable end is still there to see if you can pull it off to keep the end pieces from falling off and getting lost while being towed.

Brett
falcor75
If the cable snapped you probably lost the wedge piece that connects the cable to the throwout bearing arm.
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 23 2016, 12:32 PM) *

Or maybe your clutch cable just snapped. But they rarely do ...
idea.gif

They will snap the cable with age &/or if the transaxle's ground strap or lugs are bad connections or missing. Either way, it's not an easy on-the-road fix.

Anthony, you can drive your 914 short distances with minimal stops by putting it into 2nd or 3rd gear with the engine off, then start the motor (it will buck until up to speed, & then cruise in that gear until you must stop again (some folks will blip the gas & try to shift up, but that can grind the synchros, so I wouldn't).

PS - I'd done that a few times in the decade & 132k miles that mine was my DD, so they do snap clutch cables sometimes, & you can get to a shop if close enough with that start-in-gear technique. When my clutch tube broke loose, it was more a matter of a sloppy & only partially disengaging clutch - rather than complete loss, although mine didn't completely break free & run out the back of the firewall (& it is an in the shop fix for the tube also).

If you're close to your shop, then try that, otherwise wait for the tow service, & hopefully you've asked for a flatbed, so that your front valance or spoiler won't get buggered up. Take pix of the car's condition before the tow for your records, in case of any damage by the tow.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Montreal914
Seems like what I've lived about a year ago.
Cable snapped pulling out of drive way.
Replace cable, adjust clutch, good to go driving.gif
Might have to readjust the clutch after a few days.
Good luck with your repair.
Andyrew
I've snapped 3 clutch cables. They snap and that is what happens. When the tube breaks loose your clutch will have SOME feel to it but wont do enough.
TheCabinetmaker
Tom nailed it. Drive it home.if you shift at just the right moment it will up shift without grinding. Engage clutch, blip throttle, and shift. I've driven home 5 miles in traffic this way.
tbox56
I have had the cable sheath pull out of the holder by the pulley in the back. This had exactly the same symptoms.

If this is it, it's your lucky day, throw a zip tie around it and drive home!

Good luck!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 23 2016, 01:04 PM) *
When the tube breaks loose your clutch will have SOME feel to it but wont do enough.

Nope, not if it comes lose on the rear firewall. Your pedal will go to the floor with no usable clutch. Been there, done that ...
dry.gif
anthony
It looks like the cable frayed and snapped right at the pulley wheel.
anthony
I have to say that you guys are brilliant as usual. I was able to back the car up by starting it in reverse and then restart it in first and drive it home. Fortunately I was only a mile from home.

I even have a spare clutch cable so I should be back on the road this afternoon.

smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Outstanding
jim_hoyland
Put a spare in your front trunk for the next time; also helps to have a couple of tools handy;some bunji cord, latex gloves, flashlight, and any other tools that are needed.
The hardest part can be reaching into the pedal cluster area to change the front attachment point.
Valy
Check your ground strap at the transition. A bad one will cause grounding through the clatch cable and you know how that ends.
BeemerSteve
Undeniably clutch tube woes! Happened to me and had to put new metal back on the firewall. Also, tacked back in the front for prosperity purposes,.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(BeemerSteve @ Aug 23 2016, 05:28 PM) *

Undeniably clutch tube woes! Happened to me and had to put new metal back on the firewall. Also, tacked back in the front for prosperity purposes,.

Well, bloody hell....maybe I should've read further before I posted. Good that it was the cable!!! biggrin.gif
rgalla9146
The first thing to do when the cable snaps is to crawl under the car and retrieve the loose cable end which has the trunion and the two impossible to find 11mm nuts on it.
Was there boot on there too ? Extra points.
Oh, if your shift linkage (and battery) is better than the average 914 you could drive the car across the country, no clutch cable necessary.
anthony
No end boot. I never had one as long as I've had this car. Also, only one 11mm bolt installed back there. Should I add another? Will I find an 11mm at the hardware store?

New clutch cable is now installed. I had no problems threading the cable. Reattaching at the pedal cluster was a big PITA. I "lost" the clip down the tunnel at least 4 or 5 times until I got it.

The white pulley was essentially frozen and gummed up with road gunk. That is the point where the cable shredded and snapped.

I noticed that the speedo cable doesn't look so hot either. There is always something on a 42 year old car....
Krieger
Add a second nut and lock that cable down. I have always had two nuts biggrin.gif
euro911
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Aug 23 2016, 12:39 PM) *
If the cable snapped you probably lost the wedge piece that connects the cable to the throwout bearing arm.
Carry a spare trunion block (or whatever they call that piece) and two 11mm nuts with your spare cable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.