Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mikey's Dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Decided to put Mikey's dash on today. Nothing wrong with the old plastic dash cap. Will put it up for sale shortly.

So far, I have the old dash out. Now I have the daunting task of putting the super nice Mikey Dash back in..... dry.gif
EdwardBlume
Gone
EdwardBlume
New one waiting
EdwardBlume
Does that look right to you?
EdwardBlume
Just took the A pads off, but its not going in easily. Do the horizontal front studs mount first, or the vertical rear studs?

I put the console studs in first and the dash is hung up.
siverson
> but its not going in easily

Ha, yes. I could have told you to expect that. smile.gif

Just keep battling! (and be thankful you aren't replacing the defroster air box)

-Steve
sb914
Your knuckles will bleed,but it's worth it!
EdwardBlume
Screw it!
EdwardBlume
Going with the Mikey bolts (they're magnetic)
Chris914n6
1/4" socket and floppy end extensions, and ratcheting wrenches. And I pull the gauges out completely to get my hand in there.
EdwardBlume
Is this a stud or am I screwed?
mepstein
Lots of patience. If you only get one nut on per day, no problem. It's getting done.
Chris914n6
That looks double threaded. Metal nuts should screw on with minimal resistance, near finger easy. Plastic nuts have been random but usually a ton of friction.
EdwardBlume
The OEM is tapered to start the nut, this one isn't but persistence pays off.

It is a stud and I was able to rethread it, reinsert it, and use it. On to the next one.
ConeDodger
It just takes patience, small hands and the ability to work while standing on your head... blink.gif
JRust
Somebody told me it was easier to pull the metal dash to install it. Them put the metal dash back it confused24.gif . Hell if I know but the 2 fuchin nuts behind the gauges with the 3/8" opening are ridiculous. I was super pissed when I finally finished installing mine. Looks great though & I don't need to do it again for many a year if ever
EdwardBlume
I'm almost "done". I lost one stud due to it getting chewed on installation. Like I said above there's no taper on the stud so you are on your own to line it up right and getting the nuts to thread straight. Go too far and you have a problem. Otherwise a really nice fit and finish.
Mikey914
Yes we started tapering them. Drop me an address in PM and I can send you another stud.
Mark
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Aug 23 2016, 05:47 PM) *

Yes we started tapering them. Drop me an address in PM and I can send you another stud.
Mark

Good to hear you do that for the studs! Good move.

Not necessary for the stud. Thanks anyway. No way I'm uninstalling this thing again!

Thanks again!
amfab
Is that top pict in the first post your dash cap? It looks nice, what brand is it?
r_towle
Rob,
Why did you have kids?

EdwardBlume
QUOTE(amfab @ Aug 23 2016, 06:22 PM) *

Is that top pict in the first post your dash cap? It looks nice, what brand is it?

Dash top? I put it on years ago and attached it with left over butyl tape.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 23 2016, 06:45 PM) *

Rob,
Why did you have kids?

agree.gif
Exactly.
amfab
[/quote]
Dash top? I put it on years ago and attached it with left over butyl tape.
[/quote]

I am interested if you want to sell it. You probably have a box that might fit it
iankarr
Removing the metal part of the dash makes installing Mikey's new top way easier, as all the studs are exposed and easily reached. Also a good opportunity to fix / replace the dash vinyl.

It does take some time to get the metal dash out, and there are two hard to reach nuts behind the air ducts, but I think it's still a bit faster and definitely less painful than attempting to put the new dash top on while in the car.
JmuRiz
cuddyk: Interesting idea that makes sense, might as well redo the dash vinyl so it doesn't look bad compared to the nice new dash.
EdwardBlume
Got the dash done and it looks great. Then this happened. After sitting on Mikey buys its time to install from the stash!
Larmo63
Looks great, but while you were doing the new dash, why didn't you do the front part of the dash?

beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Aug 24 2016, 01:11 PM) *

Looks great, but while you were doing the new dash, why didn't you do the front part of the dash?

beerchug.gif

I actually did it already. Hard to see in the pictures. I didn't use adhesive and it looks like crap until I press it down and tuck it in.
ndfrigi
thanks again Rob! My friend Bob received the dash cap yesterday and he is happy with it!

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Glad to see it made it OK!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.