Full Version: I was thinking of redoing my wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mk114
has Anyone redone their wiring harness

I was thinking of using this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7967068036&rd=1
MecGen
Hi Mike
Whats up with your harness. The 914 has a messy looking harness under the dash, but with patience, can be made to look nicer.
If you dis like the euro fuses there is already a fuse box for sale in the group, but if you need it for Radio/amp or accessories you can have a look at this.

My Relay Box

The universal fit harnesses are very basic and often have to be heavily modified to work, so whats the point.
Good Luck
Joe

beerchug.gif
ArtechnikA
MHO is that a "universal" kit for a front-engine US car will be WAY more work to modify and make work than you're up for.

JWest Engineering (the RennShift guy) makes a replacement blade-style fuse box for the 914 that id IMO an excellent product and a much better place to start that trying to adapt US stuff.

i don't know what probem you're trying to fix, but there's a pretty good chance the wires you have now at least match the published wiring diagrams. i'd think long and hard before giving up that edge...
mk114
My exsisting wiring is hard and brittle and I have had a couple of places wheer the wires are burned up Right now My car is torn down to the point that if I replace the wiring it will be benifical
ArtechnikA
even though all the replacement harnesses are also 30 years old, IMO you'll be way ahead getting a correct harness from a dead car than trying to go it alone with non-DIN coded wires.

the sizes will be right, the colors will be right, and the lengths will be right.

i'd guess most harnesses from Sawzall parties just hit the dumpster and you could pick one up for the cost of shipping...
rick 918-S
QUOTE (mk114 @ Apr 14 2005, 04:25 AM)
My exsisting wiring is hard and brittle and I have had a couple of places wheer the wires are burned up  Right now My car is torn down to the point that if I replace the wiring it will be benifical

Contact Jeff Bowlsby on this site. He is the wiring harness guru. pray.gif I think you can send him your harness and he will rebuild it. Also there are a few others that have modern fuse box replacements.
Qarl
What's the year of your car.

That makes a difference. The early '70-72 harnesses are easier to find then the later ones... at least new.

You HAVE to keep your eyes open. They come up "occasionally" on e-bay.

Or get out to the Pamona swap meet in CA.

I happened to find a NOS '73 harness in Germany a couple of years ago. Sold it to a 914 guy and then bought it back. I still came out ahead.

I think my end result was $300 after the initial purchase and repurchase.

JeffBowlsby
be way ahead getting a correct harness from a dead car than trying to go it alone with non-DIN coded wires

Its much to your advantage to either repair your existing harness or replace it with an original harness in good condition.

agree.gif
mk114
thank you for you input maybe I just try to replace the dead wires with new ones and leave the rest alone
SirAndy
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 14 2005, 05:29 AM)
replace it with an original harness in good condition.

agree.gif i've done it a few times now (including my own car) and it's pretty straight forward. just get a good, unmolested donor harness and go for it ...

there's a writeup in the "Classic Message Threads" forum ...
HOW TO: Install a main wiring harness

smash.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.