Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wish me luck. I'm driving the Alien
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rick 918-S
Well, Looks like I'm driving the Alien out this time. Oldest son was driving the Mother Ship tonight and the pinion gear somehow just broke all by it's self. Imagine that... 9000 miles on the odometer. Ya right........ So considering it's friday and I have to leave by sunday night or cancel, I guess I'm driving out.

Wish me luck. How long does it take to get AAA?

I'm really depressed sad.gif

On a lighter note. I started the Alien up for the first time since last fall. It ran Great!

Howard
So, other than that, how's your year going? smile.gif

Where's the closest caravan meet up?
rick 918-S
As the steam rolls out of my ears..... I was told by mom, if I don't have anything nice to say...

Vegas. I'm Stopping by Mike Ginters house in Denver for a nap if I make it that far.

BTW: Aric had a class mate die today. He was in school yesterday and they were laughing and talking about a weather web site Aric was going to re-design for him. I guess he had pemonia (sp) and had heart failure! So My life is what it is. I'm not happy but things can always be worse.
JeffBowlsby
Ya BaBahhhhh!

Let the 914 Games Begin.... cool.gif

We are about to be invadad.....

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
ThinAir
It sounds like you won't be matching up with the caravan until after they leave Flagstaff, but if that changes, there will definitely be room for one more for lunch. If you need anything on your way through AZ, you can call me. PM me for phone numbers if you want.
neo914-6
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Apr 14 2005, 08:31 PM)
Wish me luck. How long does it take to get AAA?

I just signed up but found out the 100 mile tow doesn't become active until a year of membership. sad.gif

Good luck Rich, I am amazed you are driving such a distance. I'm towing ~350 miles.
Elliot_Cannon
Come on out Rick. You can make it. When you do We'll help you forget your troubles at least for a few days.
Cheers, Elliot
ChrisFoley
May the force be with you Rick!
skline
Good luck on the drive. It shows your dedication and trust in your own craftmanship. I think you will make it with no problem. I will be rooting for you and waiting there for you too. See you next week.
scotty914
rick, i know how you feel i am doing 6 k round trip on the suby install. as of right now it has about 150 miles on it, no trouble yet.
Joe Ricard
Looks like my record is in jepardy.
3499 miles 3 days. Well at least I have the furthest in the OLDEST teener.
Jeroen
Have a safe trip man!
rick 918-S
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Apr 15 2005, 03:42 AM)
rick, i know how you feel i am doing 6 k round trip on the suby install. as of right now it has about 150 miles on it, no trouble yet.

Scott,

Make sure you stop and check the axle bolts, engine and transaxle adapter plate and mount bolts. Also check you hose clamps along the way.

After a day of driving last year at the WCC I got lucky and discovered my axle flang bolts loosened up.

I got up early Saturday morning for the FFC and discovered two 1 3/4" hose clamps were loose and coolant was dripping under the car. Be sure to stop along the way and check stuff like that.

I'm going to wish I had spent some time working to install a heater.....
CptTripps
Good luck man. If you need to stay awake, or someone to talk to, call my cell. I'm always good to chat with someone driving.

Have satelite radio? I've got a spare Sirius receiver I could lend you for the trip. If you have an aux-in on your receiver, you can just hook it right up! PM me if you want to borrow it.
CptTripps
BTW: AAA-Plus is $94 a year, and you get up to 4 100mi tows per year.

From the AAA web site..." (Your AAA PLUS emergency roadside benefits are in effect upon receipt of your permanent membership card.) " They'll FedEX it to you for $10. Sign up today, and you'll have it tomorrow. WELL worth the $100 IMHO.
rick 918-S
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Apr 15 2005, 05:09 AM)
BTW: AAA-Plus is $94 a year, and you get up to 4 100mi tows per year.

From the AAA web site..." (Your AAA PLUS emergency roadside benefits are in effect upon receipt of your permanent membership card.) " They'll FedEX it to you for $10. Sign up today, and you'll have it tomorrow. WELL worth the $100 IMHO.

I went to the web site. I did a search and discovered we have a local AAA office here intown. I'm going there today to sign up.
John2kx
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Apr 15 2005, 05:03 AM)

I'm going to wish I had spent some time working to install a heater.....

You should get enough heat from leakage between front compartment and cabin to make things tolerable if you have not sealed everything up.

My car had a underdash a/c with heater core built in. I hooked up the a/c but found removing two pieces of foam sealing the two compartments provided adequate heat to cabin. Not as good as the real deal but should get you there.

Good luck,

John
Dave-O
Good luck Rick!!!

Wish I could be your wingman...maybe next year idea.gif .

Have a save trip.

David

P.S. MAC autocross season opener on May 1. Hopefully the "yellowjacket" will be ready to play! burnout.gif
VegasRacer
Don't ask Qarl for a list of what you need to bring on the trip.
He will have you towing a trailer filled with all kinds of crap.
TravisNeff
Sometimes things happen for a reason (mother ship), the 914 gods prevail!
GWN7
Covered under warrenty?

Tell the dealer your going on holidays and want a loner.
rhodyguy
test of fate and faith rich. if you take the time to set up your emergency contact list for your drive across our great nation, you know you will not have to make a single panic call. a long drive gives you "seat time" and you notice subtle things about your car. going down last year i drove quite a bit with the stereo off. just listened to the car talk.

k
rick 918-S
Man, There's some funny stuff posted here! lol2.gif Specially the Qarl thing, thanks John! I was eating peaches, I'm now wearing them! lol2.gif

Some great suggestions, I thought I'd press the dealer a little on the loaner thing but I think a tow vehicle is pushing it. We'll see.

The good news is I am now a member of AAA! biggrin.gif Hope I don't need it. unsure.gif

Thanks all, and keep an ear to the ground for that low rumble.... driving.gif
spare time toys
Have fun and enjoy the open road.Watch out for the speed traps ( Sammy Hagar I cant drive 55 smiley goes here) wink.gif driving.gif
Scott S
Rick -
If you hit Gints you have to let us Colorado guys know! We would love to see the car!

Safe travels!
Scott S IN COLORADO - 30 minutes from Gint wink.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Scott Schroeder @ Apr 15 2005, 02:17 PM)
Rick -
If you hit Gints you have to let us Colorado guys know! We would love to see the car!

Safe travels!

aktion035.gif driving.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Apr 15 2005, 02:54 PM)
Rick -

Safe travels!

Hopefully the "chain law" won't be in effect heading through the mountains Rick wink.gif .....didn't they just get like 24" of snow or some sh*t!

Have an uneventful and safe trip Rick! If I can get something "dependable" running by next year, I might just make the journey with ya'll. Looks like a blast!
Toast
You are a brave man! pray.gif biggrin.gif

AAA responds pretty fast, unless of course you are in the middle of nowhere. laugh.gif Then they take a few hours.

Actually, I am really excited to see the Alien again! That care just rocks! aktion035.gif

Good luck Rick!
iamchappy
Rick you are a brave soul not only do you have to drive there, you gotta make it back.
screwy.gif
Duffster
Looook! Looook! Trust the Force Looook!

South to I 70? further south to I 40? Please don't take I 80. (ask me how I know) sad.gif
Gint
QUOTE (Special_K @ Apr 15 2005, 05:20 PM)
Rick -

Safe travels!

Hopefully the "chain law" won't be in effect heading through the mountains Rick wink.gif .....didn't they just get like 24" of snow or some sh*t!

Have an uneventful and safe trip Rick! If I can get something "dependable" running by next year, I might just make the journey with ya'll. Looks like a blast!

Several things here.

I'll let the local guys know when your scheduled to arrive in case they want to get together and check out the alien and maybe have dinner.

This time of year, even in the mountains if we get some snow, it melts as quickly as it comes down. The snow from Monday morning (way over a foot in my front yard) was completely gone and nothing but a memory by Wednesday afternoon.

I'm off work until Thursday and I have a truck, trailer and lift in the garage, so let me know if you break down or something Rick. You have my cell number.

Good luck man!

user posted image
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Gint @ Apr 15 2005, 07:55 PM)
QUOTE (Special_K @ Apr 15 2005, 05:20 PM)
Rick -

Safe travels!

Several things here.

I'll let the local guys know when your scheduled to arrive in case they want to get together and check out the alien and maybe have dinner.

This time of year, even in the mountains if we get some snow, it melts as quickly as it comes down. The snow from Monday morning (way over a foot in my front yard) was completely gone and nothing but a memory by Wednesday afternoon.

I'm off work until Thursday and I have a truck, trailer and lift in the garage, so let me know if you break down or something Rick. You have my cell number.

Good luck man!

user posted image

I'm back at it. Developed a gremlin with the fuel pump. Spent about 3 hours trying to figure that out instead of repairing the damage on the back of the car. But I think I have a solution now. I went out and got some portable tools and stuff last night. I checked the big belt and coolant. I'm going to add a backup manual switch for the cooling fans. I still need to fix the damage on the rear of the car. smash.gif work, work, work, mueba.gif
rick 918-S
Well, I'm packing up the car. Weather looks like crap all the way to Denver..... dry.gif I'll keep you posted. type.gif See ya all there! wavey.gif

driving.gif
Gint
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Apr 18 2005, 07:38 AM)
Well, I'm packing up the car. Weather looks like crap all the way to Denver..... dry.gif  I'll keep you posted.  :type: See ya all there! wavey.gif

driving.gif

Good luck Rick. Shar and I are somewhere 90 miles west of Flagstaff AZ., but we'll be home tonight around midnight. Rusty and Pam are in Vegas now and should be at my house around lunchtime tomorrow and should be around for the afternoon. He says he's got an oil leak, nothing to stop travel, but he'd like to have a look. So timing ahould work out pretty damn well as long as you don't have any issues.
914MF
Rick I have a very good, already black, rear trunk lid you can have if you did not have the time to fix your car. I will bring it over to Gint's if you need it. pray.gif boldblue.gif
CptTripps
I just got off the phone with Rick...He'll be good to go! Said if he could find a rust-free trunk lid, he'd leave this one in the desert. biggrin.gif

I'll call him periodicly and post how far along he is...I'm going to do the same with Scott Thatcher too...just to make sure everyone gets there in one piece.
Porsche Rescue
Doug, how about starting a new thread for their progress reports?
skline
That is an excellent idea Jim, I think a east to west travel thread would be a good way for everyone to see where they are and how things are going.
Gint
I just got home an hour ago. Rick called an hour before that. He was in Grand Island Nebraska and going to stop and sleep. Says the alien is doing fine. He'll be in Denver at my place in the morning.
seanery
snow report from Park City, UT...what's his route? 80?
I don't know if it was accumulating or not, but my friend told me it was snowing at her house this evening in Park City...she can see the freeway from her back deck.

Be safe Rick.
SpecialK
Friggin' Rick's an animal!! aktion035.gif

I don't think he's missed a 914club event yet, and I mean nationwide!! pray.gif
VegasRacer
QUOTE (seanery @ Apr 18 2005, 10:51 PM)
snow report from Park City, UT...what's his route? 80?

If Rick is gonna be in Denver on Tuesday and in Vegas on Wednesday, I figure he will prolly take I-70. It is a much more direct route.
Toast
I-70 is very long with NO SERVICES every 50 miles or so. ohmy.gif (this is the road I take to my moms).

Be careful. If you have Verizon Wireless, you will be covered most of the way! However, if you have Cingular, you will Not have service for about 98% of I-70!! mad.gif
Dont ask me how I know... dry.gif

But hey, 70 is beautiful!
CptTripps
He's on Sprint...

I'm going to call in an hour or so and get a progress report from him.
rhodyguy
GO RICK!!! you know he'll be tempted to "this thing's running so good, let's how fast it will...". biggrin.gif

k
BMartin914
He's on Sprint...

He still won't have service, at least not through the mtns w/out a booster.
Joe Ricard
Got to be the coolest road trip. A Porsche 914 with that big ass Euro V-8 as a pusher. Red line for that motor is like 6700 so it's gotta be good for 150 MPH cruisin speed.
that premium gas is going to get spendy but still cheaper that the tow vehicle. Plus the Alien has a valid shot at the title. Furthest driven, fastest time, all Porsche 914. even though it is modified (a little). Just not the oldest. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
screw the gas milage and the prices.

k
rick 918-S
Hey All!

Checking in from North Platte. I got a room last night. I was ahead of schedule. No issues with the car yet other than I need an "H" gear and My back is killing me. Temp is steady at 165 deg.

My phone went dead. So don't panic if you can't reach me this morning. I'll get it charged as I'm driving. Internet in my room didn't work. I'm in the sales office at the hotel. Starting out to Denver now. Here's goes nothing. screwy.gif

assimilate.gif
rhodyguy
rick and scott. a couple of motorvating dudes smilie_pokal.gif . sort of humbles the trailer set. wink.gif biggrin.gif

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.