Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a bit of the shakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I drove to the Niagara Falls VW show yesterday, good run 5 hrs driving time. Average speed of 80 to 90 mph, at 75mph the steering wheel starts to shake a bit. Not too bad, but I want to fix it sooner than later.

I haven't really looked under the car yet, but I've done the push/pull test on the front wheels and both "feel" like they have loose bearings. I tried to tighten one bearing once before but it wasn't the bearing and I have no bearing noise. unsure.gif

Any thoughts, tips or things to look for before I dive in? Thanks Mark.

P.S. I was the only 914 at the show, I had several 914 rustoration guys drooling all over my Porsche. Good show and a beauty day.
cool_shades.gif
Bruce Allert
Mark, I "had" the same thing right down to the push pull test... same same.
Went to a tire shop (3rd one) and asked them to balance the tires. There was a very knowledgeable asst. mgr. there that knew about static and dynamic balancing. I havn't had a vibration since. He was at the Americas Tire Store. Here's a pic of the balancing. Top is static and bottom is dynamic. a=b.. c is gud!
bruce
Mark Henry
Well I have got it figured out.

Anyone want to hazard a guess?
I could make a contest out of it.

As above, I get a front vibration (steering wheel shake) above 75mph, the loose bearings were not the problem and I have adjusted them. Also the steering wheel was a bit cocked to one side, I didn't think that was part of the problem but turns out that it was.

HINTS:
In the ol' hot/cold game Bruce was getting warmer but it still was not the real reason.
Also I have fixed the problem temporarily, but I will still have to fix it proper.

So what do you think the problem was? And what was my temporary fix? icon14.gif
Shut up Bradhole!
Bruce Allert
Did you happen to lose a bolt from a control arm? I scared my self when I looked under the car and one was missing where it attaches to the body. After putting another bolt in the shakes were less but not completely gone. I also had 10 year old tires. They were brand new with lots of tread but still old and "out of round" from sitting so long in storage.
bruce
ChrisReale
I guess that the lug bolts were loose..did I win?
Andyrew
Hmm I know!! Jacks!! You put it on jacks!
Mark Henry
Bruce, you are so warm!
But which answer was the warm one? LOL

pain30.gif
Drums66
a new set of tires can do wonder's smilie_pokal.gif
madd_dogg_914
I think that it is old out of round tires. Yes, that is my final answer. My car sat on old tires for 10 years. As soon as I started driving it, right around 68-72 MPH started to shake violently. The quick fix I came up with was to just drive faster biggrin.gif , but I did end up buying new tires a few weeks later. As for your quick fix, I can guess you either have another set of wheels/tires, drove slower, or drove faster!

-Chris
rhodyguy
did you rotate the tires? the front ones always go away first. the rears are usually consistant.

kevin
Bleyseng
Shocks are bad.....Alignment is bad...ball joints are going....loose bolts on A-arms....out or round tires..tires out of balance

Geoff
Mark Henry
Bruce is close enough!

Bruce, you have won a new looking tire with a shifting steel belt!
How would you like it shipped? wink.gif

Yep they are old/new tires, we drove them all last year and this spring, no problems. I think it was the wife’s radical swerving to miss a deer last month that did in the tire.

I was hoping to get the rest of the year out of these tires and buy wider sticky tires and new rims over next winter. Oh well. I might just replace the one tire till I have the coin for my new wheels.
dance.gif
Bruce Allert
I know how that is! I was hard pressed to accept that my fine looking tires were bad. Even after puting new ones on I still had vibration. Thats where REX at Americas Tire Shop came into the picture.
Right on REX smilie_pokal.gif
bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.