Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any tips for rear window rattle without seat removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carcus
I get some rear window rattle, the glass on the back wall under the seat back pad. I was thinking of putting something behind the seat back pad near the lower part of the window to quiet it down. When I put the seats in I put silicone under the lower part of the rear window and I put a new seal on the outer part near the rear trunk where it meets the rear window. I still have a little glass on metal sound. Granted, our roads suck here but looking for options. Not taking the rear seat or back pad out again.
Darren C
You kinda know the answer to your own question....

Seats out
Trim out
Glass out

Clean up

New butyl seal

Refit glass

Trim & seats back in

It shouldn't take more than an afternoon.

Anything else is futile.

shoguneagle
Agree and the glass sets on a couple of rubber pad located on the bottom of the window
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Darren C @ Sep 6 2016, 02:27 AM) *

Seats out
Trim out
Glass out

Clean up

New butyl seal

Refit glass

Trim & seats back in

Anything else is futile.

agree.gif It can be a PITA but when you have a free afternoon just do the above, you will be happy that you did. Besides a rattling rear window means water can now get it and start to collect at the lower firewall / floor pan.
carr914
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Sep 6 2016, 08:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Darren C @ Sep 6 2016, 02:27 AM) *

Seats out
Trim out
Glass out

Clean up

New butyl seal

Refit glass

Trim & seats back in

Anything else is futile.

agree.gif It can be a PITA but when you have a free afternoon just do the above, you will be happy that you did. Besides a rattling rear window means water can now get it and start to collect at the lower firewall / floor pan.

I disagree - this is a simple job. I can have the entire interior out of a 914 in about 10 minutes. If someone can't take the seats & backpad out, they shouldn't have a car they play with.
Mikey914
Got the parts you need here -

https://shop.914rubber.com/rear-window-rese...m?categoryId=-1

Both rubber strips and the butyl $20
davesprinkle
Silicone doesn't belong anywhere on a car. Ever.
Larmo63
Seats out, belts out, roll bar pads off, and back pad out, glass out, clean everything, easy. I just did this recently.

Do it right.

Do it once.

You will have peace of mind and a solid roll bar window.

It's a bit of a PITA, but worth it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 6 2016, 09:16 AM) *

"Sorry, we could not find any matches for a pillar. The following stopword(s): [a] were excluded from the search. A stopword is a word such as "the" or "some" that is too common to be considered a keyword. Please check your spelling or search using different keyword."

@Mikey914

biggrin.gif poke.gif type.gif

PS: Yes, i know this is from 2016 ...
PanelBilly
Fold a book of matches and stick them between the glass and the frame. My car had this fix for so many years, the color faded on the matchbook.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Darren C @ Sep 6 2016, 12:27 AM) *

Seats out
Trim out
Glass out

Clean up

New butyl seal

Refit glass

Trim & seats back in

Anything else is futile.

agree.gif But be careful that's how this started.Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Yes this is pretty easy to do. everything you need to install is here -

https://shop.914rubber.com/Engine-Deck-Lid-Seal-914EDLS.htm

For $20

However, While you are there may want to replace the engine deck lid seal that pushes against it at the outside base.

https://shop.914rubber.com/Engine-Deck-Lid-Seal-914EDLS.htm

thelogo
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Aug 28 2018, 09:16 PM) *

Fold a book of matches and stick them between the glass and the frame. My car had this fix for so many years, the color faded on the matchbook.

Your the man this mod is going in tomarro on my car smoke.gif
Triaddave
It may sound lame but I had a pack of matches stuck in the window for years, worked fine and it was cheap and available.
Triaddave
It may sound lame but I had a pack of matches stuck in the window for years, worked fine and it was cheap and available.
EdwardBlume
Dad stuck a sponge in there. Worked.
AZBanks
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Aug 28 2018, 06:50 PM) *

Silicone doesn't belong anywhere on a car. Ever.

???
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/88/9a/e0/889ae04e...er-porsche-.jpg
VegasRacer

Yup. biggrin.gif agree.gif

A strategically placed matchbook wedge also works to keep 8 track tapes from cross-tracking.
thelogo
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 31 2018, 01:52 PM) *

Yup. biggrin.gif agree.gif

A strategically placed matchbook wedge also works to keep 8 track tapes from cross-tracking.

Sorry man but 8 tracks
jdamiano
My car had a folded up business card keeping the raddle down when I purchased it. I think it was a divorce lawyers card. I quickly spent the couple hours and 20 or so bucks following the introductions found on this site to fix right. Not a hard job.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Aug 31 2018, 06:08 PM) *

My car had a folded up business card keeping the raddle down when I purchased it. I think it was a divorce lawyers card. I quickly spent the couple hours and 20 or so bucks following the introductions found on this site to fix right. Not a hard job.

agree.gif

Its not a hard job at all.

The only sticky part is.... well, the sticky part....
mepstein
Do you have to remove the top targa bar pad. If so, that’s the only pita part about it.
Mikey914
I've done it without/
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 2 2018, 06:54 AM) *

I've done it without/

Good to know. All the other stuff takes minutes to remove.
ConeDodger
The answer to the question the OP asked:

(first I’ll paraphrase the question) can I do the job but skip a bunch of important steps?

Yes. You can get rid of the rattle without taking out the interior. Sell the car. blink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 2 2018, 10:21 AM) *

(first I’ll paraphrase the question) can I do the job but skip a bunch of important steps?

Yes. You can get rid of the rattle without taking out the interior. Sell the car. blink.gif

Seats come out in 10 seconds. add a minute or 2 if its a fixed passenger seat.Unscrew the engine lid pull knob down by the ebrake cable. Backpad is 4 screws after you pop out the back pad light. Upper belts are 1 bolt each then 1 screw each for side bolters(2 on the driver side for the hanger. I think it might take 10 -15 minutes total and if you haven't done it before, you will be surprised by how much junk gets trapped on the floor behind the back pad. Remember, the back pad pulls down and away from the fire wall.
raynekat
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 2 2018, 08:55 AM) *

Seats come out in 10 seconds. add a minute or 2 if its a fixed passenger seat.Unscrew the engine lid pull knob down by the ebrake cable. Backpad is 4 screws after you pop out the back pad light. Upper belts are 1 bolt each then 1 screw each for side bolters(2 on the driver side for the hanger. I think it might take 10 -15 minutes total and if you haven't done it before, you will be surprised by how much junk gets trapped on the floor behind the back pad. Remember, the back pad pulls down and away from the fire wall.

Perfect explanation of the procedure....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 2 2018, 01:04 PM) *

Perfect explanation of the procedure....

Yes. I could explain the procedure too. My point is if you know and he knew, that you need to remove the interior to reseal the rear window and you go to this effort to avoid the prep work, you need to sell the car because this goes no where.
Jonathan Livesay

Yes, you could easily make back $2-3 in loose and grody looking change.
gereed75
And just maybe you could avoid being a DAPO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.