Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: 1974 1.8 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
andrewvolsen
Just like the title says, looking for a 1974 1.8 MAF. Please let me know if you have one available, I need this to get my 914 back on the road.
andrewvolsen
Part number visible on top of the plastic electronics cover of the MAF is 0 280 200 001.
djway
QUOTE(andrewvolsen @ Sep 11 2016, 10:41 AM) *

Part number visible on top of the plastic electronics cover of the MAF is 0 280 200 001.

You can rebuild these on your own. I took out the air temp sender and cleaned the contacts and got a good reading then I adjusted the height of the potentiometer wiper to get a clean unworn area. The prior owner had really messed with the spring resistance to cover up a bunch or air leaks so I used an air fuel ratio gauge to set the spring resistance to give me 14.7 reading at 3000 rpm on the highway.
andrewvolsen
I opened it up last night to try cleaning the resistor track and contacts and adjusting the height of the wiper arm to contact fresh resistor track. Unfortunately, there seem to be a number of dead spots in the resistor track where resistance read at the connector pins (I forget the pin numbers) jumps to infinite/open circuit. I tried adjusting it for about an hour, but was unable to get it set in a way that eliminated the dead spots. It looks like a PO tried to clean the resistor track at some point in the past and damaged it (scratch marks), so I think it may be beyond saving.

I am considering just finding a core AFM and sending it in to one of the Bosch AFM rebuild services so I know I have a good working unit. Does anyone have any thoughts on this approach?
bdstone914
I have one but have to check if it is a75 or 74.
djway
QUOTE(andrewvolsen @ Sep 11 2016, 04:43 PM) *

I opened it up last night to try cleaning the resistor track and contacts and adjusting the height of the wiper arm to contact fresh resistor track. Unfortunately, there seem to be a number of dead spots in the resistor track where resistance read at the connector pins (I forget the pin numbers) jumps to infinite/open circuit. I tried adjusting it for about an hour, but was unable to get it set in a way that eliminated the dead spots. It looks like a PO tried to clean the resistor track at some point in the past and damaged it (scratch marks), so I think it may be beyond saving.

I am considering just finding a core AFM and sending it in to one of the Bosch AFM rebuild services so I know I have a good working unit. Does anyone have any thoughts on this approach?

I found a bunch of old baywindow 2.0 AFM's cheap and I got one with a nice board and just swapped them. I made an air fuel ratio meter that I could clamp onto the stock exhaust pipe. I used that to set the spring tension so that I ran at 14.7 at 3000 rpm on the highway. Was an easy fix.
bretth
Is the 1.8 914 and 2.0 bus the same circuit board? I know Automotion sells a rebuilt 1.8 for under $150 if I remember right. Was in their catalog but can't find it online at the moment.

Brett

QUOTE(djway @ Sep 12 2016, 04:02 AM) *

I found a bunch of old baywindow 2.0 AFM's cheap and I got one with a nice board and just swapped them. I made an air fuel ratio meter that I could clamp onto the stock exhaust pipe. I used that to set the spring tension so that I ran at 14.7 at 3000 rpm on the highway. Was an easy fix.

andrewvolsen
Brett,

I was able to find the rebuilt 1974 1.8 MAFs through that catalog. The image shows a sticker for "Fuel Injection Corp" as the actual re-builder of the units. Have you purchased one of these before? Was it a quality rebuild?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.