Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oilfilter does not fit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Frankvw
Hi all. I started working on my 914 and first thing was an oilchange and a new filter. Got all the parts new, and started working. How hard is an oilchange right?
All went fine untill I removed the old oilfilter...i thought a wrong one was there since it was another type then should be there, it was smaller in diameter.
However... The new filter does not fit. It is too wide since it hits another part, a supportthing that hold a wheel that presses on the belt.
See pics.

Click to view attachment
The new bosch filter is hitting this supportbracket.

This is the new filter i think is ok
Click to view attachment

This filter came off. It is smaller in diameter and clears the supportbracket
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Can you please advice? Can i get that smaller diameter oilfilter to continue ?
bretth
Is that little wheel a belt tensioner for an AC system? Never seen before.

Brett
RAX914
This is the Bosch oil filter I just used:

Click to view attachment
Frankvw
Sorry...it is a 1973 1.7 (forgot to mention that)
Yes...it is a tensioner for the ac belt, so it seems.
And that bosch filter is too wide. The filter that was on it does fit, but I checked the crossreference site for that filter and the needed filters do not seem to be the same.
http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/co...PROMOTIVE/PH195

The filter that rax914 is mentioning is compatible with what came off....is that Ok for a 914 ?
RAX914
I have a '72 1.7 and the Bosch 3402 fits well, but I don't have air conditioning. Here are the product specs for the 3402:

Click to view attachment
Mueller
Just buy another smaller diameter filter, it obviously worked since the motor has not blown up.

There are at least 5 cross ref numbers on the old filter.
Mueller
QUOTE(RAX 914 @ Sep 11 2016, 09:53 AM) *

I have a '72 1.7 and the Bosch 3402 fits well, but I don't have air conditioning. Here are the product specs for the 3402:

Click to view attachment

Those dimensions would be for a square filter! screwy.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif
Frankvw
Mueller, "it obviously worked since the motor has not blown up. "
That is true, but I also do not re-use the flat copper washer that was present under the drainbolt instead of the crushable ring that should be there although it did not blow up the motor too :-)
I thought all filters have their own specs and flow etc , so since it is other then the book states I just wanted to check with the 914 community what to use now. Maybe the previous oilchnage just got a fitting filter, but maybe not a correct one...
Dion
I use MAHLE OC-28.
I usually had probs with the length of canister with my aftermarket
BAT external oil cooler adaptor. The Mahle works best in that regard. Not sure though of clearance with the a/c pulley and diameter of canister. Maybe give it a go . Good luck.
tomeric914
Baldwin B228 is my favorite. Same length as the stock filter but smaller in diameter. Great when using a sandwich adapter for an external cooler or when you're sick of busting your knuckles dealing with the stock size filter.

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/PartSpeci...partnumber=B228
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Sep 11 2016, 02:28 PM) *

Baldwin B228 is my favorite. Same length as the stock filter but smaller in diameter. Great when using a sandwich adapter for an external cooler or when you're sick of busting your knuckles dealing with the stock size filter.

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/PartSpeci...partnumber=B228

agree.gif A 944 filter fits too.
tomeric914
Yes, that's a Baldwin B178 which hangs a bit too low on the 914 in my opinion. Same as Rabbit, Jetta, Golf, etc.

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/PartSpeci...partnumber=B178

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 11 2016, 04:05 PM) *

agree.gif A 944 filter fits too.

Dave_Darling
I would be tempted to get rid of the tensioner. Then again, I don't really like the AC setups on most of our cars.

--DD
Big Len
I have used the K & N and Mobil 1 filters in addition to the Mahle.
JOEPROPER
I would just get another ph195 and call it a day.
Frankvw
Ok...since a PH195 was not available in NL, I bought a MANN filter, which is compatible. It has a 'better' diameter for me, but is about an inch longer than teh PH195 that came off the engine.
I fits nice and does not stick out, is nicely tucked away even though it is a bit longer
Click to view attachment
as you can see the one recommended is shorter and has a bigger diameter, the other MANN filter is longer and has a smaller diameter.
A small job, but one down from the list ! Thanks for the tips and advice !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.