Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Cable Replacement **Now In Progress** :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JustinMeier

QUOTE(SLITS @ Jul 16 2009, 07:04 PM) *

There are no tricks ...

Remove carpets, pedal board, center console (if installed), center tunnel inspection plate and driver's seat

Pop connector at pedal loose and remove ball connector and nut.

Disconnect cable from throttle body in engine compartment and push it down thru the engine tin.

Crawl under car and pull the sheath loose from the firewall and pull cable out of tube.

push new one back thru and secure metal end on stub in firewall. You can push the sheathing back up through the engine tin.

Back in the car, fish the throttle cable end out of the center tunnel. Using a mirror, make sure it is not wrapped around the clutch cable. Put the lock nut on threaded end, screw the ball connector on and snap it on the bell crank.

Reassemble remainder of interior.

Go to engine compartment, secure sheathing to mount, pull cable and secure with barrrel connector to throttle body.

Wella .......................

Something like that anyway

Anybody want to add anything else or does this pretty much cover it?
ThinAir
That's about it. It sounds much more complicated than it is. Mostly it's just a pain, and you have to make sure clutch and throttle cables are not wrapped around each other in the tunnel.
JustinMeier
Work just cleaned out the back warehouse so I have some space to do this..

I should raid Dad's account and make him buy me all the crap I need to do this biggrin.gif
Chris914n6
Wouldn't hurt to get a new ball connector, I popped it back on pretty easily. Also there was a bunch of thread left there if you're replacing it because it seems stretched?
Toast
agree.gif
That ball connector did seem pretty loose and sloppy.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Sep 12 2016, 12:28 PM) *

Wouldn't hurt to get a new ball connector, I popped it back on pretty easily. Also there was a bunch of thread left there if you're replacing it because it seems stretched?

Yeah. We tightened it up yesterday and there's more slack in it now. It is dropping at the connector up front and going under the clutch cable.
Toast
The connector in the back that I showed you seemed the same way too.
JustinMeier
I went back at lunch and looked a bit more.. Its getting caught on something or maybe the cable is frayed and catching the plastic tubing around it.

The pedal feels very tight, like I have to use a whole lot more force than what should be necessary.
Chris914n6
The cable slid easy enough when we had it disconnected, not that it couldn't be failing apart now. Could be binding at the throttle body or pivot.
JustinMeier
Bump for edit.
injunmort
how did the cable get anywhere near the exhaust? it comes out of the firewall and goes directly up through the shelf to be routed. if the cable is suspect, get a new one. you can tow it here but i doubt AAA would cover it.
Chris914n6
^^ -6 not 4
brant
sad.gif
injunmort
your point being?
JustinMeier
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 12 2016, 08:04 PM) *

Justin. How do the pedals feel when the cable is disconnected?
(There are ways for pedal shafts to fail too)

Rule out the clutch tube too

Did you guys put the new throttle cable on the way?

I'll have to check that tomorrow.

I can hear it pulling tight right at the point where it comes in the car but can't exactly see it.

We didn't.. I've learned my lesson on this one, take the help lol.. I have a bit of a problem with that.
JustinMeier
Click to view attachment
Toast
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Sep 12 2016, 07:20 PM) *

We didn't.. I've learned my lesson on this one, take the help lol.. I have a bit of a problem with that.

Don't beat yourself up Justin. We all learn. Call Glenn at Pelican at ext. 240 and order another throttle cable and a set of VALVE (edited for Curt) cover gaskets. And don't be afraid to call Mike Will's.
welcome.png
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Toast @ Sep 12 2016, 10:39 PM) *

Don't beat yourself up Justin. We all learn. Call Glenn at Pelican at ext. 240 and order another throttle cable and a set of timing cover gaskets. And don't be afraid to call Mike Will's.
welcome.png

I'll get the gaskets, I have a brand new throttle and clutch cable (I think someone saw this coming).
TheCabinetmaker
Uh, timing cover gaskets? The timing cover is just a threaded plastic plug.
ndfrigi
Looks like those cables are the clutch and speedo cable and not the accelerator cable. Like what mentioned above, accelerator cable is by the firewall and goes up and it should not be closer to the heat exchanger or headers.
Dave_Darling
This is a six-cylinder engine, Curt. They may mean the cam chain housing gaskets.

--DD
JustinMeier
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 13 2016, 02:21 PM) *

Looks like those cables are the clutch and speedo cable and not the accelerator cable. Like what mentioned above, accelerator cable is by the firewall and goes up and it should not be closer to the heat exchanger or headers.

I can't see under there too well.. I'm getting stands and a jack after work and diving in.

Toast
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 13 2016, 12:01 PM) *

Uh, timing cover gaskets? The timing cover is just a threaded plastic plug.

Timing cover....Valve cover. Whatever. happy11.gif
He knows what I ment.
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Toast @ Sep 13 2016, 03:10 PM) *

Timing cover....Valve cover. Whatever. happy11.gif
He knows what I ment.

Of course smile.gif
JustinMeier
Wooohoo.. Cable out and it is most definitely bad. It takes a ton of force to pull it through.

Next step, install the new one.. Maybe tomorrow.

On a side note, our warehouse door at the office broke so I can't get it out of here till someone comes and fixes it headbang.gif
ThinAir
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Sep 13 2016, 08:33 PM) *

Wooohoo.. Cable out and it is most definitely bad. It takes a ton of force to pull it through.

Next step, install the new one.. Maybe tomorrow.

Good news!
sixnotfour
Its a Slits show ...
JustinMeier
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 13 2016, 08:54 PM) *

Its a Slits show ...

You're going to have to explain this one.

New cable is in but not adjusted yet.. Dry run says it's good to go as soon as I tighten things up. Yay, my 1st 914 repair. beerchug.gif
sixnotfour
read these 17 pages...
: http://z8.invisionfree.com/ClubNARP/index.php?showtopic=3354
beerchug.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 14 2016, 01:34 AM) *

That thread about the "Gray Ghost" is hilarious. Classic SLITS and of course you learn stuff along the way (especially since I have a 2.7 CIS in my car).
76-914
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Sep 13 2016, 02:35 PM) *

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 13 2016, 02:21 PM) *

I can't see under there too well.. I'm getting stands and a jack after work and diving in.

Then it begins: Welcome to the madness. beerchug.gif Kent
JustinMeier
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 14 2016, 12:34 AM) *

laugh.gif Ok, I get it now.. Thanks for sharing that!

Apparently he's not really gone wink.gif
JustinMeier
One issue.. The new cable doesn't slip around the tube going in to the tunnel. It looks like this one is just a bit smaller than the old one, I'm sure it will eventually rub and break but I should be good for now 'till I get another one in, right?
JustinMeier
Click to view attachment

This couldn't have been the problem... Naaaaa
Toast
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Sep 14 2016, 07:04 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Sep 14 2016, 12:34 AM) *

laugh.gif Ok, I get it now.. Thanks for sharing that!

Apparently he's not really gone wink.gif

Well, there is one of the threads for ya. biggrin.gif

Read his blog here....

Slits Blog

I also have a picture of "the mouse" and him driving it for the first time in the parking lot that I will post. driving.gif
JustinMeier
QUOTE(Toast @ Sep 15 2016, 05:15 PM) *

Well, there is one of the threads for ya. biggrin.gif

Read his blog here....

Slits Blog

I also have a picture of "the mouse" and him driving it for the first time in the parking lot that I will post. driving.gif

I was reading through that at one point.. lol
JustinMeier
So the saga continues... welcome.png

I go to spin the bolt on to the engine side linkage and I'll be damned, this bolt is spinning pretty freely.. Hmm.. Yep, threads sheered off. Fuch (I've learned we use that instead of the F word to spare the children's eyes or something) now what do I do?

Oh look! Another cable! Today is my lucky day or something. One problem, no threads on the engine side of the cable to spin the connector on. hissyfit.gif Well, there's some JB weld up front in the trunk, why not? It's a very close fit and it would hold really well.. I can order a new cable and drive this for a few days, hell I'm an expert at changing cables now!
Well, new problem.. I forgot to put the nut through 1st before the JB hardened around the connector.. Great, I can't bolt the end down now.....

New cable on order, here Tuesday I hope! Thanks Glen!

This probably should have been a blog post or something...

tldr;
I screwed up the (amazingly) 2 spare throttle cables Dad had in his car...
JustinMeier
Here's the first whoops...

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Maybe you should let dad work on his car?
JustinMeier
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 16 2016, 02:30 PM) *

laugh.gif That's a bit impossible..
steuspeed
QUOTE(JustinMeier @ Sep 14 2016, 10:51 AM) *

One issue.. The new cable doesn't slip around the tube going in to the tunnel. It looks like this one is just a bit smaller than the old one, I'm sure it will eventually rub and break but I should be good for now 'till I get another one in, right?

I just replaced mine and had the same problem ( Cofle brand). It didn't seem like it fully went on the end of the tube. I jammed it on as hard as I could. I had to un-thread the ball end to just a few threads in order for the cable to reach the throttle body. I didn't pull it out to compare parts side by side since I already had it installed. It would be nice to know if there is a aftermarket cable that fits a bit better.
JustinMeier
I ordered 2 so let's see which one fits..

Terrycable B-423-067-02-TC
Porsche 914-423-067-02-OEM

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearc...B-423-067-02-TC
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 16 2016, 02:30 PM) *

Too soon?

If you were joking, it was probably inappropriate, and it caused me a horribly guilty laugh, but I never met the guy.

From the little I have heard of him, I am guessing he'd be laughing his (all too public) ass off at that line, though.

In fact, his attitude was clearly:

Click to view attachment

(I sketched that from memory about three days after the original was burned into my eyes in the pics thread)

Sorry I missed him, he sounds a hell of a good guy. No doubt he's saying something about the lengths he had to go to finally turn his kid into a 914 mechanic. shades.gif

He will be riding along with you in the curves, Justin, the GG probably has a real G in residence now. Wouldn't surprise me if each new little problem on the car is *just* beyond the complexity of the last. By the time you need to do the big stuff, you will have learned how by doing the little jobs. Listen to those little tricky ideas you will get when you're stumped in the shop; it might be him with the tip you need...

His sarcastic spirit will be with you in the shop as well, chuckling at your mistakes. Don't mourn your loss, celebrate and cherish your time together.

(Thats more than I meant to add when I started this post, but I hadn't yet added my condolences, as I never met Slits. Figure it's about time if I am commenting here)

-- Whit
JustinMeier
Thanks for the condolences Whit!

There's no such thing as too soon. I was really holding back a few jokes along the lines of molding ashes and waiting for a Disney magic moment then handing him a wrench. I also laughed so don't feel too bad. beerchug.gif

I have that picture and almost featured it at the memorial. It was a last minute decision to save the eyes of all the young children in attendance.

He always asked what I would do when he finally went.. Well, a-hole, I'm fixing --your-- car now.. This is payback for all the times he cursed at me while he worked on all of mine laugh.gif

BTW! Part? of the saga continues. Today I got it solid enough to drive and feel comfortable doing so.. Then I try to roll the bay door up at the office and the roll up breaks.. Owner of the building is telling us two weeks till it can be fixed lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

Toast
Well I guess that will give you a chance to fix the burnt wiring. rolleyes.gif

smash.gif
JustinMeier
With some redneck engineering and a drill, I was able to get the door open and the car out. A couple more hours of tinkering on the jerry rigged cable length and I was set!

I'll change it out when the new one gets here next week but it looks like I'm good to go for now beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Justin, i apologize for being inconsiderate. I had no idea your dad had passed. Mine too passed many years ago. I still miss him.

Whitney mic, i know who you are! finger.gif
JustinMeier
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 17 2016, 04:48 PM) *

Justin, i apologize for being inconsiderate. I had no idea your dad had passed. Mine too passed many years ago. I still miss him.

laugh.gif All good, I got a good laugh out of it. At least he lives on through all his friends and apparently though me drunk.gif
N_Jay
Evert time I see this thread title in the new posts list, "aren't you done yet" goes through my thoughts.
Whitney Mic
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 17 2016, 04:48 PM) *

Good for you; I'm not sure i know myself...

Apparently I am the unwilling ambassador from the Massengillian Contingency, or so i've been told. I tend to the prankster side of life, a double headed coin when we're drawing straws, if you will.

I didn't intend to cause anyone to feel hurt, I figured it was a joke (I can't speak for Justin, but think he saw it the same way), and considering what I have read and seen here, I didn't really think it was a, "So other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play..." kind of moment.

Sorry if I was the cause of any embarrassment (unless to myself).

Good to meet you!

beerchug.gif

Enough derailing the thread now, let's watch the kid work. I heard he tore up a garage door yesterday to get his car on the road

popcorn[1].gif

-- Whit
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.