Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original Riviera wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gaocs
Hi
How do I tell if the Riviera's that are on my car are original period dealer fit ones or reproductions from a later stage? Are there any markings or any other way to tell?
Thanks
Ferg
Early
Click to view attachment

Late
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
The ones without the raised paddles, form Vees, tend to be closer to the Fuch backspacing. You may find markings for a co in Portland OR on the backside. The other ones are sort of a generic 914, 4 lug bug, t-3, ghia, etc wheels that can tend to have less generous backspacing.
Tom_T
QUOTE(gaocs @ Sep 15 2016, 01:40 PM) *

Hi
How do I tell if the Riviera's that are on my car are original period dealer fit ones or reproductions from a later stage? Are there any markings or any other way to tell?
Thanks

First, a correction - even back in the day, Rivieras were aftermarket wheels, & some Porsche+Audi dealers would install them for customers. Only a dealer sales invoice or parts/service invoice will tell you if they were put on the car by the dealer, or an indie tire/wheel shop.

My Rivieras were put on my 73 914-2.0 by the dealer for the OO at the time of sale on 11/6/72, & I only know this cuz & asked the OO when I bought it from him about 3 years old in Dec. 1975, but have no documentation for such. I don't care about the dealer sale/install documentation. BTW - these were the correct ET40 offset used on 914s - not a generic one.

While I preferred then & still like now the 5-spoke look on a 4-lug OE hub of these Rivs, to be more correct to originality, I'll be putting on 5 restored OE factory fitment Fuchs 2L forged aluminum alloy wheels in my resto, & these Rivs may become the "extra street tire/wheel" set. Note that those are the original reversed lower case "r" logo center caps on them - another indication of the "real" early Rivs.

Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
Sorry for that last blurry pic, this one is clearer, & shows the raised polished/brushed pads on the spokes. Note that these are the far less common "Brushed Aluminum" finish - & not the most common polished type, so it has tinl lines on the finished surface.

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
rhodyguy
There are quite a few differences between yours and the ones ferg posted.

To the OP, post some pictures of your wheels.
Ferg
I'm by no means an expert on them. I've always understood that the early ones were without the raised petal.

Since they were mainly a VW application they could easily predate the 914 completely, I dunno
gaocs
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 15 2016, 10:54 PM) *

There are quite a few differences between yours and the ones ferg posted.

To the OP, post some pictures of your wheels.

Yes, good point! I will be back at home at the weekend and so will get some pictures posted. I think that they are the brushed aluminium ones which Tom_T refers to, but they are in a bit of a mess.
gaocs
Thanks for all the info guys.

I just got my car and it has the Rivieras on, but they are kind of tatty and so don't look great. I'd like to get some Fuchs or Pedrini's, but of course they cost $$$$ here in the Uk (if you can get them at all), but may look at restoring these if I could find a way to do it so they look good. Also I've lots of other things to do on the car where that money for Fuchs/Pedrini's could go!

I'm also missing the centre caps, and have tried searching but can't seem to find any replacements anywhere (either originals with the backward r or some kind of decent reproduction).

I'll put some pictures on here on Sunday of what mine are like.
rhodyguy
Tom, do the center caps push in from the front or back of the wheel?
Larmo63
They are all ugly, to my eye.

barf.gif
veekry9
Click to view attachment
biggrin.gif
Flashy,polished,and much effort.
Looks good though,the edges all given a radius and high sheen.

/
veekry9
Click to view attachment
Smoothed,sanded,vibratory semi dull finish,anodized/candy clearcoat.
biggrin.gif
/
Frankvw
These are on my 73.
The PO did not put them on..he bought the car like that, so at least on the car for 19 years and i think from the start.since i have all maint history and nothing mentions new wheels. I will have to replace or clean the bolts for sure smile.gif

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Like said before, they did not come on the car! The first owner probably put them on shortly after purchase. My 75 came with Fuchs. The Original owner drove straight to the tire store from the dealer and installed Dan gurney westerns. Duh! It happens. It has its Fuchs back now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.