Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VDO gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thesey914
Is it possible to remove this bezel to repaint it or do I have to leave it with the correct patina on?
SirAndy
yes, you have to use a flat screwdriver and carefully pry open the metal on the back. you can then remove the ring and glass.

Andy
Demick
If painting the bezel is the only thing you want to accomplish, I would recommend just painting it in place. Removing the bezel is a real pain, and you are more likely to do damage to it when are removing it or re-crimping it back on. Of course, if you also want to get inside for other reasons, then that's a different story.

Demick
thesey914
Cheers Andy....to quote H.J.Simpson...." what an age we live in"
An intant reply from one side of the globe to another!! smilie_pokal.gif
Bleyseng
It's very easy to pry off the bezel with a very small flat screwdriver. Sand and paint it with SatinBlack paint to have it look Factory again. Clean and polish the glass (looks like its a glass unit in the pic) and carefully crimp the edges back with a small piece of wood or plastic. The rubber ring covers any imperfections when its installed.

Geoff
Dave_Darling
Or just use a black Sharpie on it. "Ghetto gauge repair." wink.gif

--DD
Lawrence
A small screwdriver or pen knife can take the bezels off easily. Go slow, don't try to take it off on your first time around, and it'll work out well.

You can do it while watching Seinfeld and drinking a beer. By the end of the episode, you'll have the bezel off and you'll be feeling good. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. While you're in there, consider repainting the INSIDE bezel silver.
thesey914
Silver? What does that look like?.....I actually just wanted to get the glass out to polish & clean it as the inside had got all foggy.....but now I've reassembled it I feel it needs re-painting.....still the glass is clean
abm914
James

What's the gauge off & do you have a separate fuel gauge aswell? Let me know as I have a VDO 60mm Fuel gauge that I might be willing to part with!! biggrin.gif

Adam
thesey914
Hello Adam, (see the pic of your car I posted) -Yep I do need a fuel gauge -I have my eye on a few on EvilBay. Can you mail me a pic of it? (what car is it off?)
The temp/pressure gauge pictured is 911.
Wish it was metric increments instead of deg F and lbs/"2
SirAndy
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Jun 24 2003, 05:25 AM)

yeah, always throws me off too.
around here, everyone thinks "metric" is something to drink laugh.gif

Andy
abm914
James

Below is the fuel gauge that I have and below that is the combi gauge that I'd like but it's about $400!

Adam

IPB Image

IPB Image

lol2.gif
Lawrence
This is what gauges with silver bezels look like.
SirAndy
was there a factory Tach with a black center bezel AND 2 lights for the turn signals?
if so, what year ???

Andy
thesey914
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 24 2003, 02:48 PM)
This is what gauges with silver bezels look like.

Lawrence...Some might say that you have wayyy too much time on your hands (not me)-I love the mounted dials and callipers -better than deer antlers anyday! -How did you get the needle to stay on the red line?

Adam -Your pics haven't displayed for some reason...I'll bet you're after one of those triple gauges?
thesey914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2003, 02:54 PM)
was there a factory Tach with a black center bezel AND 2 lights for the turn signals?
if so, what year ???

Andy

Andy..saw this on the 'Bay -is this what you mean?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2420899005
914Timo

Oh, now I understand. I noticed that we are on the same side of the big water. Nice to see that there are others than Jeroen and me from europe. wavey.gif

I scanned my F and lbs gauge faces (oh yes, they are not very common here, but when I needed them I couldnt find any euro model). Then I converted them to metric and printed to sticker paper. Here are my new faces as JPG. Send me e-mail if you need them in some other format. I did them with Adobe Illustrator.
thesey914
Hey Timo, that's ingenious! I'm well impressed and thanks for sharing it! Do you know what measurements I need to make it fit?
If not I'll have to stop being lazy and go out and measure it for my self biggrin.gif
Cheers -James

The temp increments are obviously deg C ..is the pressure measured in BAR ? or KG per whatever squared?
thesey914
It needs to be 6.45mm in height smilie_pokal.gif
914Timo
Do you know what measurements I need to make it fit?

The distance between those two screw holes is 30mm. The height is about 65mm and the width of one gauge face is about 37mm.

I have couple of variations from those gauge fases. I converted them all to pdf format. You wil find it HERE.
sechszylinder
hilow folks,

i found it very easy to remove the outer ring from the gauges, but reinstalling the ring is another story.
vdo has a special tool like a can opener and they always use a new outer ring when rebuilding a gauge.

timo; here is another guy from old europe smilie_flagge6.gif

benno
914Timo
Hi Benno wavey.gif

Really nice to notice that here are other european also. mueba.gif
Lawrence
Lawrence...Some might say that you have wayyy too much time on your hands (not me)-I love the mounted dials and callipers -better than deer antlers anyday! -How did you get the needle to stay on the red line?

Those were some of the awards for last year's Mid US Ramble, held in Oklahoma.

The gauges were completely disassembled, cleaned, and then gutted so that I could superglue the pieces. The fuel gauge is full, 5600 rpm, speedo is at 94 mph. The odometer was set at 70914, and the tripmeter was 9146.

back on topic...

It's amazing how much clearer the gauges are when you remove the glass for cleaning. The gauges aren't perfectly sealed in the back, and 30+ years of air contaminants cloud them up.
thesey914
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Jun 25 2003, 05:17 AM)

The fuel gauge is full, 5600 rpm, speedo is at 94 mph.  The odometer was set at 70914, and the tripmeter was 9146.

Nice touch smoke.gif

TIMO: Does the needle just pull off, in order to stick the new increments on?
Thanks -James
SirAndy
QUOTE(thesey914 @ Jun 25 2003, 02:48 AM)
Andy..saw this on the 'Bay -is this what you mean?

nope, that one has only ONE light for both turn signals, i need one with a light for left and right separately, but with a black center not a silver center.
for some reason, i thought they were out there, but maybe not ...

Andy
914Timo
Does the needle just pull off, in order to stick the new increments on?

Yes, before removing the needle I checked the end position. Then I sticked the new increments and installed the needle carefully to the same position.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 24 2003, 02:54 PM)

Not a 914 tach set up like that. The single indicator light came in at the same time as the black center. You may be able to find a 911 tach with both. Won't help with your current motor, but should work on the next one... wink.gif

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.