Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The charm of an early 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
I'm looking at possibly buying an unmolested 1971 and as the owner of two 1974's, what is there to recommend the early cars? I'm thinking about the prone-to-failure window cranks, fixed passenger seat, unreinforced doors, oil bath air filter, tail shifter, central vent, etc. as potential liabilities rather than assets. Am I wrong? Gotta admit, I think steelies rule!

Also, is it possible to have textured seats with smooth vinyl door panels? Johnson's book says the textured seats were "available" but "apparently not fitted."

Thanks,

Paul
Garland
Paul, I've owned many early teeners over the years. I've had two cars with smooth door panels, and textured seats.

Never had a window crank fail. Beyond that, all other failures of our wonderful cars are typical but not unique to the early years. Have had many tail shifters and a couple side shift, have not noticed major concerns between the two has so many others have stated.

Unreinforced doors or later, oil bath filters can be replaced but I still use mine.
rgalla9146
I don't know about the smooth door/textured seat issue but I can say that the vinyl upholstery in a 1971 was a one year only pattern.
Compared to other years it had a larger 'grain' (elephant hyde ?) and was very shiny.
I would gladly own a 1970 1.7
By now the remedies for early car issues are well known.
Finding a solid example is the challenge.
mepstein
I like the early cars. Light. Classic look. Simple. Quirky. Baby GT's.
jrblackbox
I love my little 71 1.7 peashooter, even though it has steelies, a fixed passenger seat and tailshifter!
SKL1
Interior vinyl can be very confusing. My '71 was built in 9/70. My dad bought one about 6 months after I got mine and it was a 3/71 build, still a '71. Interior was totally different than mine...

Still love my'71 after 45 years, but admittedly it isn't a tailshifter anymore, and has OEM 914-6 running gear.
jrblackbox
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Sep 19 2016, 12:07 PM) *

Interior vinyl can be very confusing. My '71 was built in 9/70. My dad bought one about 6 months after I got mine and it was a 3/71 build, still a '71. Interior was totally different than mine...

Still love my'71 after 45 years, but admittedly it isn't a tailshifter anymore, and has OEM 914-6 running gear.

hmmm... my 71 was built in 9/70 as well!
era vulgaris
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 19 2016, 07:51 AM) *

I'm looking at possibly buying an unmolested 1971 and as the owner of two 1974's, what is there to recommend the early cars? I'm thinking about the prone-to-failure window cranks, fixed passenger seat, unreinforced doors, oil bath air filter, tail shifter, central vent, etc. as potential liabilities rather than assets. Am I wrong? Gotta admit, I think steelies rule!

Also, is it possible to have textured seats with smooth vinyl door panels? Johnson's book says the textured seats were "available" but "apparently not fitted."

Thanks,

Paul

You forgot about the dash mounted windshield wiper switch!

But I don't look at all those traits as liabilities. I think they're all charming in their own way.
I've owned a big fire-breathing 914 and it was fun, but the next 914 I get will be an early 1.7. I just love the look of the steelies with hubcaps. And I'd prefer to have a car that's a bit more simplistic, and that looks a bit more classic. Now it's just a matter of finding a good one!
mark04usa
Early 914 1.7 is a simple, honest car. Fun to drive on twisty roads, and keeps up with hiway traffic no problem. My Jan '70 1.7 on this past 914 day beerchug.gif
Click to view attachment
Chris Pincetich
Older is cooler shades.gif
'nuff said beerchug.gif
biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Sep 19 2016, 10:12 PM) *

Early 914 1.7 is a simple, honest car. Fun to drive on twisty roads, and keeps up with hiway traffic no problem. My Jan '70 1.7 on this past 914 day beerchug.gif

Mine cruises at hiway speeds just fine but the acceleration is so bad that I feel like I will get run over every time traffic slows down and then speeds back up. I'm yelling for more power and the little engine is screaming she's giving me all she's got. That should all get fixed with the addition of a 3.2
913B
No kidding my stocker 1.7 is gutless. I have to be careful passing vehicles I don't think I can pass anything on the roads today. Makes me want to get a bigger motor but don't want to deal with regrets of cooling issue. Oh well someday hissyfit.gif
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Sep 20 2016, 07:01 AM) *

No kidding my stocker 1.7 is gutless. I have to be careful passing vehicles I don't think I can pass anything on the roads today. Makes me want to get a bigger motor but don't want to deal with regrets of cooling issue. Oh well someday hissyfit.gif

+1 on stock 1.7 being gutless against the current state of cars on the local highways.

My .02 cents, if you want it, get it...simple
mepstein
QUOTE(396 @ Sep 20 2016, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Sep 20 2016, 07:01 AM) *

+1 on stock 1.7 being gutless against the current state of cars on the local highways.

My .02 cents, if you want it, get it...simple

It's fine around town. Lots of smiles per miles.
Rav914
I loved my '70. The windshield wiper switch, smooth door panels, silver dot guages, and late model steelies were the aesthetic items I liked. It felt solid and when I put a 1911cc motor in it, it moved quickly. Would like to have another someday (-6 conversion).
mark04usa
You folks with "gutless" 1.7's must either have a very poor running engine (likely way over carbureted) or do not know how to drive the car. My car is a stock 914, not a hot rod. It is a great car the way it is. smoke.gif
Garland
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Sep 20 2016, 11:37 AM) *

You folks with "gutless" 1.7's must either have a very poor running engine (likely way over carbureted) or do not know how to drive the car. My car is a stock 914, not a hot rod. It is a great car the way it is. smoke.gif

60 in the straightaway, 90 in the curves. Stock 1.7 driven well, can have some very long legs.
914_teener
QUOTE(Garland @ Sep 20 2016, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(mark04usa @ Sep 20 2016, 11:37 AM) *

60 in the straightaway, 90 in the curves. Stock 1.7 driven well, can have some very long legs.

agree.gif Well said.

With the stock injection WELL TUNED and working. It is fun.

Makes it hard for me to finish my 2056 project.
913B
QUOTE(mark04usa @ Sep 20 2016, 10:37 AM) *

Hmm really ? Mines is with the stock D-Jet and come to think about it. The PO had put some bigger jugs in them when it got rebuilt as I recall confused24.gif but maybe its me driver then huh.gif idea.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Sep 20 2016, 11:19 AM) *

QUOTE(mark04usa @ Sep 20 2016, 10:37 AM) *

Hmm really ? Mines is with the stock D-Jet and come to think about it. The PO had put some bigger jugs in them when it got rebuilt as I recall confused24.gif but maybe its me driver then huh.gif idea.gif

....or with the bigger pistons the D-jet is not calibrated right.

Well tuned?
Chris Pincetich
My 1.7 is breathing through a bigger intake and exhaling through big pipes into a 4->1 header and modern muffler. It spins up a 12lb flywheel and at the third shift drops into a close ratio gear.

Stock D-jet, plugs, and ignition points. Very reliable. FUN! driving.gif

I've added additional lightness to an already light chassis smoke.gif

orthobiz
Appreciate all the responses. I'm getting close to a final decision, by the weekend!

Paul
orthobiz
If things go as planned, i'll have a light ivory one in my garage THIS SUNDAY. Can't wait!!

Paul
dcheek
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 22 2016, 06:35 PM) *

If things go as planned, i'll have a light ivory one in my garage THIS SUNDAY. Can't wait!!

Paul

Welllllllllllllll.................did you buy it????

Dave
mepstein
The early 1.7 was my first car when I was 16. Bought it before I was legal to drive in NJ. So all the idiosyncrasies are normal and comforting for me. Reaching for the wipers on the dash, normal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.