Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on how to mount fiberglass GT racing front bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Fubawu
Hi

Hoping someone can shed some light, long story short the car was purchased minus bumper.

I just purchased a GT -Racing front GT bumper. Looking at it I only see two solid brackets.. I am not with the car right now and was curious if the two brackets simply
mate up with the holes in the chassis for mounting?

Seems odd that the bumper would only mount at two points each below the head light area? Doesn't seem very strong?

Click to view attachment
Krieger
Here is the short version. Bolt the brackets to the body in the correct mounting points. Mix up some bonds and smear it on the end of the brackets. Put bumper in the correct location. Use blue tape to hold in place. Let dry. You can add more glass over bumper/bracket if you'd like more strength at the joint.
scott_in_nh
That's it - 2 bolts in each side.

FYI 73-74 also have additional support behind the bumper tits.
Fubawu
I'm guessing it mounts where the two black jig posts are mounted in this picture?

Click to view attachment
Fubawu
thanks mates! Are the holes threaded or simply nut and bolt
GeorgeRud
Once you align and decide where to drill the holes, you'll need to come up with some way to put speed nuts or other fasteners on the bumper unless some are already glassed in place. I had the Getty Dsign front bumper on my car, but it came with aluminum brackets that were drilled and used j nuts to capture the bolts.

As you've seen, they are quite light and flimsy. I eventually modified a steel bumper by cutting and welding an opening for the cooler opening as I wanted a bit more protection on my car.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Fubawu @ Sep 23 2016, 10:18 AM) *

I'm guessing it mounts where the two black jig posts are mounted in this picture?

Click to view attachment

Correct
sixnotfour
its a profile not really a bumper..og for the GT racing class,,,
Krieger
You should put a brace across the top where the firewall was. Connecting the two shock/strut mount areas together.
Larmo63
You can see in the photo he has the GT gussets already in place for the cross bar.

Nicely done, by the way!
stugray
On my FG bumper, I can reach the bolts through the foglamp holes.

On THAT bumper it looks like the brackets are closed on that side so you couldnt reach the bolt heads through that hole.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.