Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought my 914 need help.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ncchany
Alright guys i just bought a 914. I am so excited!!! Its a big project so i am going to need your guys help and guidance. Okay for starters the shifter seems loose and the ebrake isnt working? Were do i start with that so i dont have to use chalks
Ncchany
QUOTE(Ncchany @ Oct 1 2016, 12:38 PM) *

Alright guys i just bought a 914. I am so excited!!! Its a big project so i am going to need your guys help and guidance. Okay for starters the shifter seems loose and the ebrake isnt working? Were do i start with that so i dont have to use chalks

zipedadoo
There are cables that runs from the handle to both brake calipers.

If your handle and cables move freely the the problem lies within your calipers. Or your "venting" clearance is off. (the space between the rotor and the brake pads)

There are many videos and write ups on how to do this. I recommend rebuilding your calipers yourself, then you will know all its secrets.
ClayPerrine
I would suggest your first purchase be a Haynes Manual....

IPB Image

Haynes Manual

Check the cables on the park brake to make sure they are not frozen. You will also need to check the venting clearance on the rear brake calipers. The Haynes manual has the procedure in it, but the clearance they list is too big. Cut it in half.

If the calipers are good, that should fix the park brake. If the calipers are frozen or leaking, I suggest you contact PMB Performance and get a rebuilt set. You can NEVER be too careful when it comes to the brakes on a car.

As for the shifter, I would need to know the year of the car before I can give you specifics, but check all the bushings in the shift linkage, front to back. Most 914 shifting problems can be fixed with a handful of inexpensive bushings.

Ncchany

Its a 1974 914 1.8l

Also its missing the handbrake lever i think it might have been taken apart. But there is a small white lever i tried pulling it up and it goes up but brakes dont activate

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 1 2016, 12:57 PM) *

IPB Image

Haynes Manual

Check the cables on the park brake to make sure they are not frozen. You will also need to check the venting clearance on the rear brake calipers. The Haynes manual has the procedure in it, but the clearance they list is too big. Cut it in half.

If the calipers are good, that should fix the park brake. If the calipers are frozen or leaking, I suggest you contact PMB Performance and get a rebuilt set. You can NEVER be too careful when it comes to the brakes on a car.

As for the shifter, I would need to know the year of the car before I can give you specifics, but check all the bushings in the shift linkage, front to back. Most 914 shifting problems can be fixed with a handful of inexpensive bushings.

ClayPerrine
The handbrake lever should be between the driver's seat and the left longitudinal. You would have to climb over it to get in the driver's seat.

Do you have a picture of the "small white lever"?
Ncchany

What do you guys think of this? I need help with the shifter issue thats important to me.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 1 2016, 01:19 PM) *

The handbrake lever should be between the driver's seat and the left longitudinal. You would have to climb over it to get in the driver's seat.

Do you have a picture of the "small white lever"?

Mblizzard
Plan on replacing allow the shifter bushings. Instant and huge improvement. Also look into upgrading the firewall bushing with Tangerine Racing's bushing. This is an upgrade that makes all the difference in the world.

PM me if you need details.
Shadowfax
welcome.png
McMark
Yup, replace all the shifter bushings. All of them. Even the ones that look good.
Ncchany
The ebrake is rock solid and wont go up. Where can i order get the shifter bushings?

QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 1 2016, 03:16 PM) *

Yup, replace all the shifter bushings. All of them. Even the ones that look good.

Ncchany
QUOTE(Ncchany @ Oct 1 2016, 03:23 PM) *

The ebrake is rock solid and wont go up. Where can i order get the shifter bushings?

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 1 2016, 11:57 AM) *

IPB Image

Haynes Manual

Best advice for your time and $. Otherwise every time you have a simple question and wait for a reply...it could be next April before you get a going.
Mblizzard
The sources for the bushings are plentiful. But I would look toward someone like 914rubber.com, Sierra Madre, AASE, Pargon, or many others.

If you are not sure what you need search the threads to find a good guide for the process.

Take the seat out and disconnect the cables if the handle operates without the cable attached verify that the cables are not stuck. If they move freely after detaching from the calipers the ]n your best bet is to remove the rear calipers and send to PMB.

Don't own stock in PMB or anything but they are the experts and the rear calipers are a bit more complex to rebuild than you would think. I failed on a rebuild and wreck a car. But that is just my experience.
cwpeden
QUOTE(Ncchany @ Oct 1 2016, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Ncchany @ Oct 1 2016, 03:23 PM) *

That's the heater lever, opens the flapper boxes and turns on aux fan.
injunmort
as mentioned, remove cable ends from calipers. if the handle operates, your rear pistons are siezed and the calipers will need to be rebuilt. as it is a sideshifter, while doing bushings, also replace the cone screw.
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Ncchany
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 1 2016, 04:25 PM) *

welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me i look forward to learning from
You all and then contributing to the community as well!!!
Dave_Darling
Here is some reading material, with photos, about the shifting mechanism.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ift_improve.htm

N.B.--you have the side-shift transmission already.

--DD
euro911
That sure brings back some memories.

IPB Image

As you can see, it's workable with lots of elbow grease though cool_shades.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

welcome.png
rhodyguy
Get and read the book. Do ONE task at a time! Does the car run? Before you start throwing handfuls of money at the car, take LOTS of pictures and post them in this thread showing what you consider the worst/most suspect areas. These folks with their eagle eyes will point things out you may not even notice. The good people here will help guide you on your journey.
Ncchany
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 1 2016, 05:25 PM) *

That sure brings back some memories.

IPB Image

As you can see, it's workable with lots of elbow grease though cool_shades.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

welcome.png

Dude that looks good!!!!! Omg pm me pls
Ncchany
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 1 2016, 05:48 PM) *

Get and read the book. Do ONE task at a time! Does the car run? Before you start throwing handfuls of money at the car, take LOTS of pictures and post them in this thread showing what you consider the worst/most suspect areas. These folks with their eagle eyes will point things out you may not even notice. The good people here will help guide you on your journey.

No it isnt running yet i havent even tried inhabe to replace the steering column.
The guy gave me another one from
His parts car
euro911
QUOTE(Ncchany @ Oct 1 2016, 05:13 PM) *
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 1 2016, 05:25 PM) *
That sure brings back some memories. ...
Dude that looks good!!!!! Omg pm me pls
I sold the car back in 2013 and the new owner had the remaining body prep work done.

IPB Image

agree.gif with Kevin's (rhodyguy) post. Take some pix of the undercarriage and the hell hole area. Since the rockers are off, provide some close-ups of the jack-point tubes and rearward. Hopefully you've got a pretty solid starting point.

There's plenty of folks here who'll be able to advise and guide you along.
Mikey914
Dude buy the bushings from me and I'll throw in a copy of the factory repair manual. It's on CD, so you can print out what you need and work on the car. Don't worry about getting it dirty.

Just PM me when you place the order and or put a note in the transaction when you check out.

You'll like it better.
Ncchany
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 1 2016, 08:40 PM) *

Dude buy the bushings from me and I'll throw in a copy of the factory repair manual. It's on CD, so you can print out what you need and work on the car. Don't worry about getting it dirty.

Just PM me when you place the order and or put a note in the transaction when you check out.

You'll like it better.

What do you guys think i should start on the body, the tranny or getting it running?
rhodyguy
What's your take on the most important thing to do? Make yourself a game plan. You might get 10 'firsts' from 10 dif people. Right now, get the bushings and the cd. This is prob the least expensive thing you can purchase and you'll have them when you are ready for them.

Study the parts classifieds and the member vendor sub forums. Read the classic thread section too. Good tricks-o-plenty there.

McMark
Seek out and eliminate structural rust first.
Get the braking system sorted out second.
Then make it run and drive great.

Don't start on any bodywork or interior until you're confident in the car and would drive it anywhere.
rhodyguy
If the pass side front is an indication of mark's first choice, you are going to have your work cut out for you. Pictures.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.