Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What rims is yours wearing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
malcolm2
4-Lug ATS cookie cutters. I got lucky, these were on this car when I bought it and I do like them. Kinda ruff, not polished like the whole car. It is safe to go to walmart and not worry.

I would love to have 5-lug Fuchs, but that is a lot of $ and time. I have seen these where they are painted BLACK except for the raised ribs and the circle. That is a nice look.

Click to view attachment
socal1200r
QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Oct 4 2016, 09:01 AM) *

Those are the 15x5.5 Rivieras? What size tires are you running?
socal1200r
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 4 2016, 09:19 AM) *

4-Lug ATS cookie cutters. I got lucky, these were on this car when I bought it and I do like them. Kinda ruff, not polished like the whole car. It is safe to go to walmart and not worry.

I would love to have 5-lug Fuchs, but that is a lot of $ and time. I have seen these where they are painted BLACK except for the raised ribs and the circle. That is a nice look.

Click to view attachment

Those look cool, kinda reminds me of old-school Ferrari wheels. I was toying around with the idea of doing the 5-lug conversion, but for what it would cost for that, and having to get new wheels and tires, I'll stick with the 4-lug Mahles and get different tires. That's how it came, so that's how it's gonna stay. I have other projects that will suck up my limited funds anyway, lol...
socal1200r
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 4 2016, 08:34 AM) *

QUOTE(socal1200r @ Oct 3 2016, 01:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 3 2016, 08:09 AM) *

16x 6" front and 16x7" rear with 205/55 16 tires
restored 911 5 lug fuchs

So based on ^ picture, if I keep the stock 15x5.5 Mahles, 205/55s should work fine, so 205/50s are within the realm of the possible!

maybe, depends on offset and backset- mine rubbed so I had to do some fender stretching and still very tight, - in the end ive decided to get 6" width tires and I will be running 205/50-16 which are 8"wide tread, and are 24.1"tall, which is right on for our 914 height - I suppose for your 15" rims you could run 205 but I think 55 to be tall enough or your speedo to be accurate- do a tire calculator on line - you will see how they compare to stock - if I had put 195/55 on my 7" rims I would not have rubbed and been o.k. but like I said, the amount of tread on the ground would be the same as my 6" wide 16" fuchs with 205-50 tires, and better off set, more room on outside- now I could have run 944 turbo wheels and they would be almost 1/2" less to the outside and not rubbed like these did, - oh well, live an learn, - its better to stay with the 6" wide rims , plenty of tread on the ground and tire choices are good on the 16" types.

Phil

The 195/60-15s I have now have a section width of 7.68", and an OD of 24.21". Going to 205/55-15s will give me 8.07" and 23.88", respectively. The OD is close enough that it shouldn't affect the speedo, and the slightly wider footprint hopefully won't present any rubbing issues on the stock 5.5 wide wheels.

That's what I'm thinking anyway...
euro911
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Oct 4 2016, 06:19 AM) *

Click to view attachment
Clark, just an FYI, you have ATS 'Classics', and I really like them too. That's why I decided to stay with the 4-lug set-up.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ATS+%27Clas...440&bih=699

I just sold one set (with blackened centers and polished highlights) ...

IPB Image

... but I still have 3 sets left (unpainted), 2 sets of the 4-lug, 15x1.5" and 1 set of the 5-lug, 14x7".

Now, these are ATS 'Cookie Cutters'

IPB Image
mbseto
Usually someone posts these, haven't seen them yet though. Nice wheels, and not super common...

Click to view attachment
euro911
Yeah agree.gif ... those are a great looking VW steel wheel. IIRC, they're called Marathons.

I'd like to get a set for my wife's Ghia cool_shades.gif
Big Len
These are 15 x 6 American Eagles on 195/65 Bridgestone Potenza's with the PMB 5 lug conversion kit. I love the way it looks. but if I had to do it all over again, I would look into widening the steelies you have as mine had the same.

Click to view attachment
dhm
Click to view attachment
16" massaged and re-finished by the master himself--Harvey Weidman.
pvollma
6.5 x 15 Minilites with 195/60-15 Dunlops
Click to view attachment
enf2232
Since no one has stood up for the old school lookClick to view attachment
napasteve
Old school looks great!
euro911
QUOTE(napasteve @ Oct 4 2016, 05:37 PM) *
Old school looks great!
agree.gif as well, but the 5.5", without the hub caps ...and slammed for that 'outlaw' look biggrin.gif
Localboy808
QUOTE(socal1200r @ Oct 4 2016, 10:52 AM) *

I think that's the size. Honestly didn't measure. The tire size is 195/60/15. Rears rubbed and I decided to "modify" the inside lip a little. These tires were on the original steelies and had zero rub. I've just always liked the rivieras.
euro911
QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Oct 4 2016, 11:05 PM) *
I think that's the size. Honestly didn't measure. The tire size is 195/60/15. Rears rubbed and I decided to "modify" the inside lip a little. These tires were on the original steelies and had zero rub. I've just always liked the rivieras.
Riv's were pretty much designed for the VW (Bug) crowd, so the different back-spacing pushes them out further than a wheel designed for a 914 (steelies, Mahles, Fuchs, etc.).

Same goes for a 914 wheel on a VW ... they fit further in, and typically rub on the front suspension unless you run spacers.

I wouldn't run anything wider than a 195 tire with the VW wheel's back-spacing, unless you roll the rear fenders, although some have had good luck running 205s.
Frankvw
I run Riviera's. I have 195 tires. They are close to the fender but do not rub (as far as I can tell from the short time I own this 914). Fender does not seem to be rolled.
Click to view attachment
PS I know....wheelbolts are on the to-do list

cwpeden
Street view of my 73 on Momo's
JRust
Couple from Red Rocks this year. They are Rota Fox replica fuchs. 17x9 in back & 17x7.5 in front
Nutter965
Mine will (at some point ) be wearing these !

Click to view attachment
Localboy808
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 5 2016, 02:15 AM) *

QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Oct 4 2016, 11:05 PM) *
Riv's were pretty much designed for the VW (Bug) crowd, so the different back-spacing pushes them out further than a wheel designed for a 914 (steelies, Mahles, Fuchs, etc.).

Same goes for a 914 wheel on a VW ... they fit further in, and typically rub on the front suspension unless you run spacers.

I wouldn't run anything wider than a 195 tire with the VW wheel's back-spacing, unless you roll the rear fenders, although some have had good luck running 205s.

Yeah. I flattened about 6-8" of the inner lip to make these fit. Nothing I can't return to normal will a little work. I like the aggressive look of the wheel filling the fender. shades.gif
SKL1
6X16 Fuchs (from front of SC) restored by Harvey Weidman. Painted a little differently on both cars, but I prefer the smaller black part like on the silver '71. (Sorry for crappy picture of the '71- smudge on door not real!)

They have the classic Fuch's look with a better selection of tires when using the 16's.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

BTW, I love those MW wheels though I know a lot of people don't.
reharvey
Classic look
reharvey
Classic Fuchs look
jim912928
Boxter

Click to view attachment
mbseto
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 4 2016, 03:05 PM) *

Yeah agree.gif ... those are a great looking VW steel wheel. IIRC, they're called Marathons.

I'd like to get a set for my wife's Ghia cool_shades.gif

They're called Marathons in Europe, Bajas in North America. Lemmerz made them.
914forme
911 7x17 and 9.5x17 made by BBS liter than Forgeline wheels. Not my car but you get the idea.

veekry9
Click to view attachment
Ansen?
15" X 7-front
15" X 10-rear

/
914forme
Lets not forget Centerlines, bring back the 70s and early 80s piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

They are very light and that makes them very good for certain things like auto-x and drag racing. My 8x15s come in just shy of 13 pounds with valve stems, center caps, and wheel weights.

This makes the real magnesium Mahle gas burners found on the 914-6/ 911 heavy. That is based off their 11 pound weight for a 5.5 inch wide wheel. An equal size Mahle would be much closer to 16 pounds. Everything being taken as equal. In reality the center section would be the heaviest, and the rim section would give you the minimal amount of weight. The would more than likely be about equal weight due to differences in metallurgy, and the required structures.

Wheel weights takes this topic way off line.

The one interesting thing I am just as guilty of this is no-one has pointed out this topic has been discussed before. And we have resources of various wheels on a 914. Including this tech article on Pelican
Steve
Click to view attachment
993 rims
Steve
Click to view attachment
Fikse fm10 rims
bernbomb914
I like the ATS wheels for four bolt applications . I have them painted to match the color of the car. they are 15" by 5.5" and fit the wheel wells. I also have a set of black and polished that are almost new if anyone is interested.
iamchappy
Fuchs or Phone Dials..
max72914
Wow I've been so busy with school lately I forgot I posted. Thanks for all the replies! Itll be a tough decision haha.!
gandalf_025
Maybe I missed it in the 5 pages of this thread..

But there is always one of the options the factory chose...

14" Fuchs... Yeah, I know most don't like them... But it is an option...

They look worse without the running gear in the car ..

Click to view attachment
veekry9
Click to view attachment

/
puffinator
7x15 Fuchs with 195/65 Continentals

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.