Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost exhaust stud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Millerwelds
Lost an exhaust stud on my 74 2.0. Need a new stud and washer/nut.

Any concern driving it with missing stud?
N_Jay
If it is leaking you can burn the head and heat exchanger.
porschetub
You could just put a bolt in there till you get a new stud biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
Stud pulled right out? If it did consider yourself lucky...better than a broken stud. smile.gif

You have to fix it right, 8mm/9mm step stud or a timesert.
Elliot Cannon
I have some spares. I'll send one to you if you need it.
Millerwelds
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 5 2016, 12:12 PM) *

Stud pulled right out? If it did consider yourself lucky...better than a broken stud. smile.gif

No, it loosened up, unscrewed itself out and disappeared...
Millerwelds
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 5 2016, 12:07 PM) *

You could just put a bolt in there till you get a new stud biggrin.gif

Any ideas what size bolt would work. It has euro headers instead of heat exchangers if that matters
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Oct 5 2016, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 5 2016, 12:12 PM) *

No, it loosened up, unscrewed itself out and disappeared...

Yeh... Hokay, maybe you will take my advice when the replacement falls out. biggrin.gif

Studs in aluminum VW heads don't just fall out, the threads are boogered, still enough there to give the illusion all is OK.
N_Jay
Any hardware store has 8mm hardened bolts, get a long one and cut the head off.

Instant stud, which will prove the threads are stripped.
injunmort
you can get 8mm x 56mm studs at flaps, i think they are for ford explorer. 8 studs and flanged nuts for about $6.00. made by dorman.
Millerwelds
QUOTE(injunmort @ Oct 5 2016, 03:03 PM) *

you can get 8mm x 56mm studs at flaps, i think they are for ford explorer. 8 studs and flanged nuts for about $6.00. made by dorman.

OK Thanks all. I did get a new stud locally. Will order a stepped stud for when Mark is proven right and I have to do this again in a few weeks..... beerchug.gif
Tbrown4x4
Hope I'm not hijacking. My heads have stepped studs installed already. Is it because they came off a 1976 van 2.0? Those stepped studs are $9 each.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Tbrown4x4 @ Oct 5 2016, 09:42 PM) *

Hope I'm not hijacking. My heads have stepped studs installed already. Is it because they came off a 1976 van 2.0? Those stepped studs are $9 each.

They come standard on new AMC heads, but from the factory it would have been straight 8mm studs.
injunmort
what i like about the dorman studs are they are hexed on one end, so you can tighten them in with a socket as as opposed double nutting. that is of course, if the threads are not buggered. i have used these on two engines, so far so good. better than original. if the threads are buggered, all bets are off. got them at my local advanced auto parts store.

veekry9
https://www.belmetric.com/8mm-metric-studs-c-9_71/

Say yes to stainless studs.

smile.gif

/

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.