Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too much fuel and fouling the plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9fourteen14
I need help identifying this part.

i have a 74 2.0 teener. djet
this part is beside the distributor (that is the orange piece with the clamp)
and in front of the coil (the larger green wire.)

the green wire from this part has a brown stripe..where does it go?
where does the black wire to this part go?

I am trying to identify the part but in the long run something is awry.
not starting we have checked plugs (which are wet with fuel) we have changed them
so there is fuel, a good fuel pump.

so right now just seeing what could prevent this
from starting and found this part and need to identify it.

thanx for all your help.
Click to view attachment

thanx so much will update when figured out the problem. I am sure we just dislodged a wire. stay tuned. 914luva
7TPorsh
Looks like a dual sender for oil pressure. One line goes to the light one goes to the gauge.
rhodyguy
Oil temp sending unit.
gms
QUOTE(9fourteen14 @ Oct 7 2016, 04:14 PM) *

not starting we have checked plugs (which are wet with fuel) we have changed them

thanx for all your help.

thanx so much will update when figured out the problem. I am sure we just dislodged a wire. stay tuned. 914luva

looks like an oil pressure sensor
SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Oct 7 2016, 02:23 PM) *
Looks like a dual sender for oil pressure. One line goes to the light one goes to the gauge.

agree.gif
9fourteen14
QUOTE(9fourteen14 @ Oct 7 2016, 05:14 PM) *

thanx for all your help.

So more info there is too much fuel and it is fouling the plugs.

. Any tips? Or pointers
9fourteen14
TOO MUCH FUEL in MY 74 2.0 TEENER

It is fouling the plugs
The starter is good
The pump is good
The AAr is good

I have the air filter off. Should start without filter.

It is not starting

What on earth can it be?

Any tip and or suggestions

Almost ready to take engine out.

In mass and need the rtowle help. After engine out.

Rtowle and mass group I will be ready to work with you
VERY SOON. PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP

THANX
TheCabinetmaker
popcorn[1].gif
injunmort
start at the begininng, did the engine run? i would start with making sure you have spark, by your post, you have fuel.
Racer
Carbs? FI ?
Mblizzard
If FI money on MPS diaphragm broken or CHT issue.
injunmort
i was assuming fi, he states aar is good.
Racer
QUOTE(injunmort @ Oct 7 2016, 08:26 PM) *

i was assuming fi, he states aar is good.

lolz.. who has time to read the whole post wink.gif
ClayPerrine
Check the cylinder head temp sender. If it is open, then the computer thinks it is below -20 degrees F, so it dumps gas into the engine. Usually this results in fouled plugs and gas in the oil.

Most common cause is the connection between the sender and the harness. The plug will look like it is connected, even when it is not.

ClayPerrine
I just merged the two threads....

McMark
CHT failure will make it so rich it won't run.
Intake air temp sensor failure will make it rich, but still run.
pbanders
Two obvious answers (previously noted) so far, open CHT and failed MPS diaphragm. Blockage in the fuel return line is another (makes the fuel pressure sky-high). All of these are easy to check, see my page (sig) for how to test the CHT and MPS, and get a fuel gauge to test your pressure.
pbanders
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 7 2016, 08:12 PM) *

Check the cylinder head temp sender. If it is open, then the computer thinks it is below -20 degrees F, so it dumps gas into the engine. Usually this results in fouled plugs and gas in the oil.

Most common cause is the connection between the sender and the harness. The plug will look like it is connected, even when it is not.

+1, and this can happen even to a person called "the D-Jet expert", cough, cough. I drove around for about a year bitching about a problem with surging that I swore was a bad TPS, only to find that the CHT sensor female connector wasn't actually pushed on to the male wiring harness connector, but was instead jammed between the plastic and the metal connector. Every time I hit a bump it would open and make the car jerk. I fixed it and my being a jerk was over.
injunmort
^ yeah thats awesome, i am by no means an fi expert, but i could be reading this wrong, but it sounds like from the post, the car aint startin'. could be the rich problems mentioned by others, but i would make sure i had fire first, before i started fuching with the injection. you know kinda deductive.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 8 2016, 09:14 PM) *

+1, and this can happen even to a person called "the D-Jet expert", cough, cough. I drove around for about a year bitching about a problem with surging that I swore was a bad TPS, only to find that the CHT sensor female connector wasn't actually pushed on to the male wiring harness connector, but was instead jammed between the plastic and the metal connector. Every time I hit a bump it would open and make the car jerk. I fixed it and my being a jerk was over.

The L-Jet and the D-Jet system use the exact same CHT, and connectors. So it can happen on any 914 with the stock FI. I did it on Betty's car. Chased the poor running and black smoke for 3 days before finding I didn't get that damned spade connector connected solidly. It would open circuit randomly. Drove me batshit crazy looking for the issue.

This is the same sensor for a 911 Carrera 3.2. The resistance values in it are exactly the same as the 914 sensor.

IPB Image

Note that the connector on it is the same as an L-Jet fuel injector. Replace the stock sensor with this, and put an L-Jet fuel injector connector on the CHT wire

IPB Image

Then hook the other one to a solid ground.

You will never have that spade connector issue again.

9fourteen14
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 9 2016, 07:43 AM) *

The L-Jet and the D-Jet system use the exact same CHT, and connectors. So it can happen on any 914 with the stock FI. I did it on Betty's car. Chased the poor running and black smoke for 3 days before finding I didn't get that damned spade connector connected solidly. It would open circuit randomly. Drove me batshit crazy looking for the issue.

This is the same sensor for a 911 Carrera 3.2. The resistance values in it are exactly the same as the 914 sensor.

IPB Image

Note that the connector on it is the same as an L-Jet fuel injector. Replace the stock sensor with this, and put an L-Jet fuel injector connector on the CHT wire

IPB Image

thanx guys.. I will work on this for the rest of the day and monday 10/10/16.
will get back to you with the outcome. i really appreciate it.
9fourteen14
QUOTE(9fourteen14 @ Oct 9 2016, 05:18 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 9 2016, 07:43 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

thanx guys.. I will work on this for the rest of the day and monday 10/10/16.
will get back to you with the outcome. i really appreciate it.

see new post on CHT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.