Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pete Stout - New Magazine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cal
This should be interesting....Pete has been doing some great stuff.

http://flatsixes.com/porsche-products/pors...ine-pete-stout/

http://www.000magazine.com/
EdwardBlume
Super cool.
Wyvern
Great that he is doing something and very unique ..

Did you see limited to 999 subscriptions (Quarterly editions) and $999 for a subscription.
He does great stuff and I am sure that will be a wonderful thing and keepsake ...

unfortunately more than a bit out of my league.
Frankvw
Beautiful work. Not within my budget. I guess I am not the target audience.
Cal
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Oct 11 2016, 03:26 PM) *

Great that he is doing something and very unique ..

Did you see limited to 999 subscriptions (Quarterly editions) and $999 for a subscription.
He does great stuff and I am sure that will be a wonderful thing and keepsake ...

unfortunately more than a bit out of my league.

It's actually $250.....$999 for the limited edition version. It's not cheap....but if you're a hardcore fan of the marque it's probably worth it.
SirAndy
http://www.000magazine.com/
The slot machine numbers don't display correctly with Firefox 49 ...

For that kind of money i'd expect their web designer to be on top of these things!
poke.gif biggrin.gif

PS: Also, the cross-site scripting is going to be a HUGE red flag if they ever decide to collect any confidential data using https.
Catorse
Just signed up for the 250. Looks awesome!
Mueller
Subscribed, I'll rent out my copies but you'll have to read them at my place and wear cotton gloves smile.gif
GeorgeRud
Sounds like Automobile Quarterly, but with a narrower focus. I'm sure Pete will do an extraordinary job with it, but that is a bit expensive for me.
horizontally-opposed
Thanks, everyone!

I know this product isn't gonna be for everyone, and that's okay. Some folks don't like magazines at all, while others don't like websites—I think there are room for both, and for different kinds of each. This forum ROCKS, but so does Petrolicious.

As for 000, we are building it to provide value at $250 in the same way the teams at Excellence and Panorama provide value at $28 and $46 (and I think both do). 000 is meant to be an "and" not an "or," and another way for some to enjoy our hobby while we work to document it.

Andy—you are right to raise that red flag, and we were looking at it in real time. The site transactions were secure from the start, and https, even though it kept you inside of our site skin. However, we know people like that security blanket they can see, so the web developer has already switched it over to jotform so that it's visibly secure for users.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 11 2016, 03:17 PM) *

Sounds like Automobile Quarterly, but with a narrower focus. I'm sure Pete will do an extraordinary job with it, but that is a bit expensive for me.

It'll be pretty different in a lot of ways, with more than 200+ pages per issue vs 100~ and an edgier look in terms of photography and art direction. It's also soft cover (for the standard sub) as well as a vertical format sized 9x12. We looked at 9x11, but it wasn't "enough bigger." 9x14 might've been a bit much, so we struck a nice compromise between looks and handling at 9x12. biggrin.gif
914-300Hemi
Looks really cool. Already subscribed.

Pete has done some amazing work with both magazines and I'm sure that this won't disappoint.
SKL1
Gonna be too nice to leave in the bathroom!!! smile.gif
Larmo63
Subscribed..........
pete000
Magazine ??? $999.00 ! for four issues Hardly !

Seriously nice stuff though.
Cracker
I don't believe there will be solid v8 content...not interested at any price.

T
rgalla9146
Pete you've always done great work and I'm sure this will be outstanding as well, but
..... under field of interest it lists 356, 911, 930, 993 etc. etc, etc.
914 not listed ???? shame on you !
Cracker
Actually, he's on the money...even 914/6 owners are generally cheap bastards. This fact has not escaped him!

Tony

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 11 2016, 10:04 PM) *

Pete you've always done great work and I'm sure this will be outstanding as well, but

EdwardBlume
Pete's both a high end affectionato and a one of us kind of guy. I'm going to have to ask for my subscription for Christmas, but it will be worth it to support the art, the marque, and a good guy.
SKL1
I'm signed up for the regular subscription- I'm sure he'll have 914 content- in reading some of his info on the mag, he talks about the actual guy who built the 2 914-8's so we 914 guys can relaxxxxxx...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 11 2016, 07:04 PM) *

You had me a bit worried (!), but 914 is right there—where it should be!
https://form.jotform.com/62836726523158

Also, check the image of the table of contents...
http://www.000magazine.com/the-magazine#page-3
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Oct 11 2016, 09:18 PM) *

I'm signed up for the regular subscription- I'm sure he'll have 914 content- in reading some of his info on the mag, he talks about the actual guy who built the 2 914-8's so we 914 guys can relaxxxxxx...

Yes, I wanted to get those cars together, as I've never seen them photographed together before. And I was told by both the Porsche Museum as well as some old-school experts before my time that it's never happened before.

Not only that, but we learned quite a bit about these two cars that I did not know before. Including their proper name...and the engine model number on one case I didn't know about. It wasn't a cheap fishing expedition, but this is the kind of stuff I want to pursue. Getting to meet the man who built both cars, and watch him hold the design drawings, sit in the car, and look under them counts as a career highlight for me. Not only was he SUPER cool, he hadn't seen the cars for 46 years.

And...he was the ONS safety car driver who arrived to help Lauda in his fiery crash at the Ring. It was a wild week...
Mueller
QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 11 2016, 06:54 PM) *

T

I'm sure they will cover some proper V8's such as the 928s smile.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 11 2016, 09:37 PM) *

T

Well, you know I did cover some V8s—both American and German—in Excellence, but PCA rules prevented "off-brand" engines.

We'll have to see what's right for 000. It's not meant to be Excellence or Panorama, but it does have to be fun. And anyone who knows me knows I am game for just about anything on two or four wheels (or 18!) so long as it's done well.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 11 2016, 11:37 PM) *

T

agree.gif The 928 in it's pure form is an elegant and forward thinking design for the time. Nice to see you push the envelop Pete. Best of all things to you.
Cracker
Ahh. Well I stand corrected...

Tony

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 12 2016, 12:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 11 2016, 09:37 PM) *

T

Well, you know I did cover some V8s—both American and German—in Excellence, but PCA rules prevented "off-brand" engines.

We'll have to see what's right for 000. It's not meant to be Excellence or Panorama, but it does have to be fun. And anyone who knows me knows I am game for just about anything on two or four wheels (or 18!) so long as it's done well.

Catorse
Who actually gives a shit about reading about a Porsche body with a different motor in it. I certainly don't. You want that sort of thing, buy HOT ROD or something.

I really don't care if people want to put Suby or SBC engines in a 914. I think it's cool, but it has NO place within a Porsche only magazine. Porsche is an accomplished enough engine builder that it doesn't need help, and I want to read about Porsches with PORSCHE engines, thank you very much, which is why I subscribed.

When Subaru or Chevy wins LeMans maybe I'll change my mind. Oh yeah, and I am also a current 2011 Camaro owner BTW.

Flame on!
Wyvern

It's actually $250.....$999 for the limited edition version. It's not cheap....but if you're a hardcore fan of the marque it's probably worth it.

Ok ... thanks for clearing that up ...
I'm in ... really excited for this
Cracker
No flaming from here...I'm sure many of the subscribers would share your sentiment. Enthusiasts walk right past current RS''s for my car at P-only events. Only group that doesn't is the 914 community... beerchug.gif

Tony

QUOTE(Catorse @ Oct 12 2016, 12:01 PM) *

Who actually gives a shit about reading about a Porsche body with a different motor in it. I certainly don't. You want that sort of thing, buy HOT ROD or something.

I really don't care if people want to put Suby or SBC engines in a 914. I think it's cool, but it has NO place within a Porsche only magazine. Porsche is an accomplished enough engine builder that it doesn't need help, and I want to read about Porsches with PORSCHE engines, thank you very much, which is why I subscribed.

When Subaru or Chevy wins LeMans maybe I'll change my mind. Oh yeah, and I am also a current 2011 Camaro owner BTW.

Flame on!

horizontally-opposed
I dunno, I sure dug the FABCAR tube-frame VW bus with 993 engine, Tiptronic, and 996 suspension front and rear that was built for the former owner of IMSA when we covered it in Excellence.

But...

Point above heard, and taken. I can respect that viewpoint—even if I don't always share it—and have always weighed that viewpoint pretty carefully when I looked at any "fringe" content in Excellence. Has to be case by case, and few cases are good enough to even merit consideration.
Catorse
QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 12 2016, 09:44 AM) *

No flaming from here...I'm sure many of the subscribers would share your sentiment. Enthusiasts walk right past current RS''s for my car at P-only events. Only group that doesn't is the 914 community... beerchug.gif

Tony

Flame on!

Yeah, but your car is awesome, especially the flares (seen it in your posts). I just don't think it belongs in Pete's magazine per se. Which doesn't lessen it's awesomeness by the way.

As I said I own an LS3 /Vortech equipped built Camaro with 800whp. I love chevys, but I don't want to see them in a Porsche magazine.
Mueller
QUOTE(Catorse @ Oct 12 2016, 10:21 AM) *

Tony

Flame on!

Yeah, but your car is awesome, especially the flares (seen it in your posts). I just don't think it belongs in Pete's magazine per se. Which doesn't lessen it's awesomeness by the way.

As I said I own an LS3 /Vortech equipped built Camaro with 800whp. I love chevys, but I don't want to see them in a Porsche magazine.

According to the DMV and your title for the car (a legal document?), no matter what drive train is installed in the vehicle it is still a Porsche. smile.gif

If well executed another make or model motor doesn't ruin wanting to see or read more. However, just like the forum you are free to skip threads or skip an "offending" article in a magazine.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 12 2016, 10:58 AM) *
If well executed another make or model motor doesn't ruin wanting to see or read more.

Put down the magazine and slowly walk away!

When was the last time you actually drove a stock 914?
IPB Image
Catorse
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 12 2016, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Catorse @ Oct 12 2016, 10:21 AM) *

Tony

Flame on!

According to the DMV and your title for the car (a legal document?), no matter what drive train is installed in the vehicle it is still a Porsche. smile.gif

If well executed another make or model motor doesn't ruin wanting to see or read more. However, just like the forum you are free to skip threads or skip an "offending" article in a magazine.

Yeah, I shan't be skipping articles on a magazine I pay $250 for 4 issues dude.
horizontally-opposed
Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the only place I'm finding worries about articles on Porsches with frankenswaps is a 914 site? biggrin.gif

Talk about "there goes the neighborhood"!
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 12 2016, 01:56 PM) *
Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the only place I'm finding worries about articles on Porsches with frankenswaps is a 914 site? biggrin.gif

We've always been the real snobs, that's why all the other Porsche guys never want to talk to us ...
lol-2.gif
naro914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 11 2016, 10:06 PM) *

Actually, he's on the money...even 914/6 owners are generally cheap bastards. This fact has not escaped him!

Tony

Um...Pete is a 914 guy....
naro914
Pete,
Great to see where the direction led you after Pano. PCA will sorely miss you and your contribution to not only the magazine, but the club. I hope it was a good ride for you...it was for us..

But looking at what you want to do with 000....man that's very cool. and IMO, right you your ally!!

Good Luck! And yes, Nadine and I will be subscribers...

When you back on the right coast again?
Mueller
By the way Pete, great pictures on the website.

Currently using the Type 64 as a wallpaper on my 24" monitor, a higher res picture would be nice smile.gif
Cracker

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Oct 12 2016, 04:56 PM) *

Too funny! Best wishes to you Pete with your new publication!

lol-2.gif av-943.gif slap.gif
SKL1
Between all of Pete's posts here and at rennlist, I don't know when he ever finds time to sleep!!
NeunEinVier
Very cool, definitely looking forward to seeing the new mag!
horizontally-opposed
Thanks, everyone!! Appreciate the support. I know this product won't be for everyone—and that's okay—but it's something I wanted to try, and the best business model (I could see, anyway) to do so.

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 12 2016, 02:42 PM) *

By the way Pete, great pictures on the website.

Currently using the Type 64 as a wallpaper on my 24" monitor, a higher res picture would be nice smile.gif

Ah, I wish I could, but have a creative director who (rightly) is vigilant to protect photographers' images.

QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 12 2016, 02:19 PM) *

And yes, Nadine and I will be subscribers...

When you back on the right coast again?

Many thanks, Bob and Nadine!

Part of this venture was to cut down on travel a bit...but we'll see if that was delusional. wink.gif

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Oct 12 2016, 04:45 PM) *

Between all of Pete's posts here and at rennlist, I don't know when he ever finds time to sleep!!

Not been much of that lately, I'm afraid.

Forums, I'll admit, are my coffee (though I have picked up that habit, too...).

Thanks everyone...we're still on it. That flat eight 914 story for Issue 000 is more than 30 pages right now. Held the actual owner's manual for the silver car in my hands. Couldn't believe it. This is going to be a very special article, as it needed to be. These cars are even cooler than I thought.
Dave_Darling
Some of our friends in San Jose had a copy of the owner's manual for one of the flat-eight cars as well. Evidently rescued from a dumpster at the factory back in the day?

--DD
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 31 2016, 11:41 PM) *

Some of our friends in San Jose had a copy of the owner's manual for one of the flat-eight cars as well. Evidently rescued from a dumpster at the factory back in the day?

--DD

Any way you can follow up on this, Dave? There should only be two...and the factory has one. Would be great to close the loop on that detail if it was real.

Way cool...
Cal
Does anyone know when the first issue is due out?.....would be great for the Holidays.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Cal @ Nov 21 2016, 11:29 AM) *

Does anyone know when the first issue is due out?.....would be great for the Holidays.

Hey Cal!

That's the goal, hence the "anticipated arrival in time for Christmas 2016." We are hammering away at making that goal, though final OKs for a single article take 3-4 times as many hours as the articles I am used to publishing. wacko.gif

And you know what they say about print: It's forever.

mlindner
Hope this go's well Pete, a little to high priced for me. Best, Mark
Cal
Two great books to read this holiday season!

BillC
I received the Racing 914s book for Christmas from my wonderful wife. Still waiting for the 000 mag to arrive (USPS says Tuesday). How is it?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.