Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have access to a 917 engine for reverse engineering or a few dimensions here and there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I know it is a long shot.

I have started to model up a 4.5 liter 12 cylinder 917 engine. I am using a few drawings I have found online and pictures. For scaling purposes I have used some known dimensions like the stroke (66mm in this case)

There are some components that would be nice to get better dimensions from such as bearings which if they shared 911 bearings that wouldn't be too difficult to obtain the numbers needed.

The final goal is to have a 3D model so that anyone could print or machine a scale version of this engine for their own enjoyment!

Click to view attachment
Catorse
Well shit, why didn't you just ask. Got two 917s sitting in the garage right here next to the teener lol-2.gif
7TPorsh
Maybe talk to this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1wpi2o1Q2o
damesandhotrods
From what I remember reading the 908 flat 8 and the 917 flat 12 were both 911 flat 6 based…
Mueller
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Oct 12 2016, 01:03 PM) *

From what I remember reading the 908 flat 8 and the 917 flat 12 were both 911 flat 6 based…

That would make sense, easy to find a torn down or broken 911 parts.
mepstein
962 yes, 917 not yet...
davesprinkle
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Oct 12 2016, 01:03 PM) *

Yeah, I thought that, too, until I saw the 908 flat-8 on the Rothsport dyno. Completely different. DOHC, to start with...
SirAndy
Just weld together two 2.2L /6 engines. That should get you close ...
smash.gif
wndsnd
I think Towle has one in his barn behind a few 911's, Beatles, and 356's.

mad.gif
gms
ask this guy
PORSCHE 917 ENGINE ANIMATION
Catorse
Mueller,

Honestly though I am really serious about one day buying one of the 917 replica cars from RCR (look them up). Mostly, people put 911 flat 6 in them, but how awesome would it be to make a flat 12.

Let us know what you find!
Dave_Darling
One of the attendees of the old MUSR had a 917 crankcase sitting in his garage... I'm pretty sure he was able to clean the drool off of it after I left...

--DD
horizontally-opposed
Canepa has a few of those engines in the shop, at least 2-3 in cars, and I think they'll be building/rebuilding one soon...
jcd914
You could talk to Rich or Jerry at Jerry Wood's Enterprise in Campbell CA.

Last time I was there (15 yrs ago) they had at least 2 917 Engines and a 917 undergoing restoration.

Jim
Mueller
Thanks Pete and Jim.

I would think with the brain power and resources Canapa has they would have a solid model of one of their motors already. (theirs or a customers)
And if they did I highly doubt they'd share since it would been done on the clock!

I'm not really anyone important to let into a shop to grab those numbers so I am not sure how I'd approach such an outfit, I'm just a guy in a garage with a small dream smile.gif

Maybe I'll scan my Type IV motor 1st, then I might be taken a little more seriously.

I did scan this suspension part a few years back, pretty crude but the technology has gotten better and cheaper....hmmm, maybe I need some "investors", haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuTcyWqfqvI

Mueller
Small world, turns out a fellow Volvo nut works at Canepa, I'm going to see if he can snap some detailed pictures for me. Worse case is no, we'll see.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Catorse
I phone Alfing Crankshafts in Germany, the original manufacturer of the 917 crank. They told me they would consider making new cranks but they would need to be ordered directly from Porsche. I asked for a drawing of the crank, to which they answered once again I'd need to talk to Porsche....
Mueller
QUOTE(Catorse @ Oct 22 2016, 05:09 PM) *

I phone Alfing Crankshafts in Germany, the original manufacturer of the 917 crank. They told me they would consider making new cranks but they would need to be ordered directly from Porsche. I asked for a drawing of the crank, to which they answered once again I'd need to talk to Porsche....

Great research finding the OEM!

Are there improvements to be made such as material change or bearing size? (Smaller 2" SBC or Honda bearings?)

Catorse
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 23 2016, 08:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Catorse @ Oct 22 2016, 05:09 PM) *

Great research finding the OEM!

Are there improvements to be made such as material change or bearing size? (Smaller 2" SBC or Honda bearings?)

Yeah it was quite a hunt. Somone posted a pic of a crank with this symbol on it, really grainy, finally started googling the letters until I found ALFING. Like hitting gold!

I don't think bearings are an issue. You can always have them made, and at the end of the day if you are making a repro 917 engine it's a one off anyways....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.