Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HONDA B or H series motors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
I know I am going to get bashed, but I am curious, has anyone ever thought of dropping in a simple Honda DOHC motor like for instance a B16a1. I mean isnt that cool. I 1.6 liter capable of producing 160 hp. I dont know...There are a million reasons why to not do it..for instance its a Honda motor. U will sound like instance rice...But they are really cheap..and plentiful..yet they have no torque...I dont know...there is a very large aftermarket..Did you know that there are NA B18c5 motors running with over 230hp on standard pump gas. All while maintaining decent driveability with good gas mileage? I am sorry for blabbering. I am bored and Honda is all I really know...
Jared
DrifterJay
has anyone dropped one***** heheh...
Jared
DrifterJay
Our members have made a total of 36,914 posts
read that a min ago...
Jared
J P Stein
You really ARE bored, aren't you.

When I was 8 days away from going into the US of Army, I was shittin' green nickles. That was back in 19&68. It's better now, I hear.

Gud luck.
DrifterJay
I need to get laid..
Jared chowtime.gif
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 24 2003, 12:38 AM)
That was back in 19&68. It's better now, I hear.

Better now? in 1968 it was as bad as it ever was!!! ar15.gif vampire.gif
L8Apex
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just need an adapter for the tranny. There is a lot of room in the engine bay in that car, so I don't see why any of them wouldn't fit. (even the H22's)
Dave_Darling
Actually, at least one version of the B16 makes 111 lb-ft of torque. That's even more than the (stock) Euro-spec 2.0 motor did! Plus it revs up quite a ways. Some of them make 170 HP, even.

Dunno how that motor would work with the stock gearing, though.

--DD
aufaber
Older Honda motors (before a year or two ago) spin the wrong way. You would have 5 reverse gears and 1 really low straight cut forward.

-Aaron G>
L8Apex
Good observation. I forgot to mention that. The only engines that would drop in correctly, or atleast easier to drop in are the newer "F" series engines. They spin the correct way. Most honda engines, 2001 and older spin the other way.
DrifterJay
do u mean the K and D series? As in the K for rsx and other models and the D17 from the civic?
Jared
L8Apex
yeah, the K's also. The new D series engines in the civics are still spinning the wrong way, I think.
Dave_Darling
Easy answer there--just use a 911 gearbox!! smile.gif

But yeah, I completely forgot about the backwards rotation of most Hondas.

--DD
madd_dogg_914
I'm lost here . . . WHY are we putting a Honda motor into a PORSCHE?!?!?!?!? Porsches demand torque. Hondas deliver HP. I am a firm believer that a lot of ponies, without a lot of torque is a waste of time. Besides, there are fewer and fewer teeners out there every day. Just save up a little while and then slap a 6 in there. Once you do it you will NEVER regret it! (knock on Wood)

-Chris
2teeners
if I was gonna do it, and it could be done, i'd put one of the v6's in there, at least.

does anybody have a chart comparing the torque and HP of the standard 2.0 vs the flat 6's? I"ve seen Bleyseng's dyno chart, does anybody have one on the 6's?
aufaber
QUOTE(madd_dogg_914 @ Jun 26 2003, 12:23 AM)
Porsches demand torque.

Well, i really wouldn't agree with that.. most porsche motors have a very short stroke for their bore. The 3.2 has what, a 95mm bore with a 75mm stroke? That isn't exaclty the recipe for ground pounding low end torque right there.

The torque they do get seems almost accidental in thier search for more HP..

928 makes torque.. so do porsches with Turbos..

Can't turbo a 914 though wink.gif

-Aaron G>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.