Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Caliper Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThunderbirdDrive
Thanks for the help in advance.

on my '76 my right rear caliper had developed a small leak.

Wondering if anybody has any recommendation on where to source a new one?

Pelican parts and Auto Atlanta appear to no longer have any available.

I'm located up in the great white north (Toronto)

Thanks!
stugray
http://www.pmbperformance.com/914brake.html

mobymutt
PMB, as linked above, seems to be the go-to place for rebuilt 914 calipers. They also sell a rebuild kit, if you want to DIY, and they have a great video. I rebuilt both of mine myself with the PMB rebuild kit.

For local professional help, there is Mike's 914 in Colborne, or Mark Henry in Port Hope.

For local non-professional help, there seems to be a few local members that are active on this site.
ThunderbirdDrive
Thanks for the tips. I'm taking a look at PMB right now.

As far as the rebuild kit, would you say it's a fairly straightforward process? The price just seems so cheap for the kit, vs having it outsourced. I just found a you tube video with the instructions. I'll have to wait until I get home to view it though, as my work blocks social media (luckily not 914 world)
Cairo94507
Personally, if one is leaking, I would send both the rears out to PMB for a first class rebuild. Eric Shea is a great guy and brake God.
mobymutt
QUOTE(ThunderbirdDrive @ Oct 13 2016, 02:55 PM) *

Thanks for the tips. I'm taking a look at PMB right now.

As far as the rebuild kit, would you say it's a fairly straightforward process? The price just seems so cheap for the kit, vs having it outsourced. I just found a you tube video with the instructions. I'll have to wait until I get home to view it though, as my work blocks social media (luckily not 914 world)

Yes, it's pretty straightforward. I have more problems bleeding them after reinstallation, then I have doing the rebuild.

HOWEVER, as Eric notes in his video, the calipers really need to replated. They rust around the piston bore, which causes them to seize up. I didn't replate mine, I just cleaned up some of the rust until they moved freely, then applied lots of brake lube. I imagine they will seize up again fairly quickly. Given more money, I'd just send them off to PMB.

The kit is just new seals and boots. The PMB rebuild is much more thorough.
GeorgeRud
Rebuild kits are really only some o rings and also, but Eric's services can't be beat - worth every penny and makes the process absolutely painless ( except for the bleeding).
ThunderbirdDrive
Thanks for all the advice. Just placed an order for a pair of full rebuilds from PMB!

A question to those in Canada.
Did you return your core for the rebate of the core charge?
Shipping costs cross border appear to make it a net neutral trade. Although I guess you are doing the community a good by giving PMB another set to rebuild and help somebody else out with.
pbanders
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 13 2016, 11:29 AM) *

+1 when my brakes start to go, that's where I'm going.
mobymutt
QUOTE(ThunderbirdDrive @ Oct 13 2016, 09:31 PM) *

Thanks for all the advice. Just placed an order for a pair of full rebuilds from PMB!

A question to those in Canada.
Did you return your core for the rebate of the core charge?
Shipping costs cross border appear to make it a net neutral trade. Although I guess you are doing the community a good by giving PMB another set to rebuild and help somebody else out with.

I didn't ship my brakes, but I use a Kinek cross-border 'post office' to buy things from the U.S., then drive across the border to pick them up. Handy if you are close to the border.
Cairo94507
ThunderbirdDrive- I believe you will be very pleased.
Mikey914
PMB for customs declaration for repair and return.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.