Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why you always use Jackstands
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
pbanders
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 14 2016, 12:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Oct 13 2016, 06:46 PM) *

Just ordered two, I'll use my ratchet ones as backups and these new ones as primaries, thanks for the link.

They finally showed up today. Very beefy and stable, my old jack stands are a joke in comparison. You could probably support a house with these.
stugray
QUOTE(87m491 @ Oct 17 2016, 02:13 PM) *

these look pretty neat, especially if you'd like to get a jack in close to the jack stands..
Torin T43004 3 Ton Aluminum Jack Stands

IPB Image

http://www.niftyinterior.com/157_page_1464417.htm

I have a pair of those and they work well.
I drilled and tapped a hole in the center of the top saddle.
Then I have a conical "doorstop" that threads into each side until the rubber bottoms out.
So I have a rubber "stopper" sticking up that fits right in the dounts on the body when I feel like supporting it from those.
Cairo94507
This thread made me get my jack stands out of the attic and keep two in my garage and take two to my brothers. I have been guilty of slipping under the cars to change oil, etc., w/o a jack stand - no more. Thanks for reminding me I am old, slow and could never move quick enough to escape injury now. slap.gif
cary
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 13 2016, 11:58 AM) *

Yep and always put the tire you took off under the car till at least you get the jackstands under it!

It's super easy and takes 1 sec to do.

Great habit to get into ................ especially on the side of the road.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 8 2016, 08:54 AM) *

This thread made me get my jack stands out of the attic and keep two in my garage and take two to my brothers. I have been guilty of slipping under the cars to change oil, etc., w/o a jack stand - no more. Thanks for reminding me I am old, slow and could never move quick enough to escape injury now. slap.gif

Forget old and slow. If I see our young kids do it at the shop, I'm all over them. Any shop owner can tell you about a jack in the shop that failed. It will happen eventually. Why be the one that makes the news.
forrestkhaag
Old school works too. 8x8x12" blocks of solid maple. The 8"x8" base has the area of the average metal stand but no moving parts to fail and if you have ever tried to split maple with a maul, you know it aint gonna split from the weight of a 914'd donuts....

beerchug.gif
stugray
Here is a pic of my jackstands with the "nub" on the top:

IPB Image
They work perfectly under the donut:

IPB Image

And here is what I was talking about when using a floor jack:

IPB Image

You can see as you raise the car from the rear with a floor jack, the jack would tend to pull the car backwards off the front stands if the jacks is not allowed to roll freely:

IPB Image

That is due to the moment arm of the floor jack.
If the jack cannot move forward as it comes up, it WILL pull the car backwards.

Be careful out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.