Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove steering Lock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Phoenix-MN
I'm trying to remove the steering lock from the ignition housing. I have the key lock removed and the switch removed. Cannot figure out how to get the column lock out??? Is the plastic piece staked into the housing?

Click to view attachment

Thanks
whitetwinturbo
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
Cairo94507
I would look up Tweet on our site. He is a lock genius and understands all of these parts and how they work. He restores locks for our cars.
Phoenix-MN
Well the piece is staked in, after carefully bending out the housing where it was staked the plastic slides out and the locking piece can be removed

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
bdstone914
Remove the set scrrw on the side of the housing abd it pulls out.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 19 2016, 05:26 AM) *

isn't the set screw for the switch?
malcolm2
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Oct 19 2016, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 19 2016, 05:26 AM) *

isn't the set screw for the switch?

there is a set screw for the switch. it is visible when you remove the wiring block that connects to the switch. It is very small and down in that hole.
Phoenix-MN
OK guys dry.gif as said in the original post, I have the switch and set screw removed and the key lock removed. The set screw does not hold the plastic piece in housing, it is staked with two small punches on each side of the housing. I opened the stakes out with a very small chisel and then the plastic piece just slid out.
tweet
Okay, that steering lock housing may be toast, they are not supposed to be disassembled like that. The tiny set screw is for the purpose of holding in and orienting/positioning the electrical switch. The ignition lock can be released by depressing the spring clip through the small access hole. If you are still having trouble with it, I can help. Shoot me a pm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.