Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original Wheels 1974
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
Hi

I am new to the 914 (but not new to Porsche with a 1997 9934S and a 1993 RS America). I need some help from the experts here on the original wheels that would have been on a 1974 914 2.0 manufactured in 9/73 with the appearance package. Is this the correct wheels?

If So, what is the name of this wheel?

Thanks for any help!!!Click to view attachment
iwanta914-6
Yes, Fuchs. The 4 bolt little brother of the 5 bolt Fuchs commonly seen on older 911s
Tom_T
Yes Simon,

Those would've been the Appearance/Performance Groups' wheel - it's loosely called the Fuchs 2-Liter for that reason, forged aluminum alloy with an anodized finish & matte finish on the background area behind the smooth/shiny "petals"/"blades" & rim.

For the 74 MY they were available under either the option groups or as a stand alone option on any 914/2.0 or 1.8, & they were a generally included option on all 73 MY 2.0s during the first 8+/- months when they 2.0Ls were fully loaded for the US market & marketed here as the "914-S" ( http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=107851 ), then still included on most of the later 73 MY "decontented" 2.0's - as well as an option on the 1.7s (though not often ordered/found that way on 1.7s from the factory).

There is great originality info in the Originality & History Forum, & it has some nailed topics, including "Wheels & Tries" & "The Few, the Rare..." which you should look through for info on originality.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JeffBowlsby
Uh-No.

The Appearance Group in 1974 did not include the Fuchs, the car would have come with the sport steel wheels with plastic centers, new for 1974.

Fuchs or any other wheel would have been an extra cost line line item in 1974 or installed at the dealership at extra cost. See the attached window sticker and BOS of a current car in my collection to see what they did.

74 2.0L...always my favorite 914. sunglasses.gif
simonjb
So would these be the standard wheels then?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Yes.

--DD
PlaysWithCars
barf.gif

Fuchs much better. cheer.gif
tygaboy
QUOTE(simonjb @ Oct 20 2016, 04:11 PM) *

So would these be the standard wheels then?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I have a nice set of those (including a complete, clean set of the black plastic lug bolt covers) that I won't be using, if you're looking for some...
In fact - that's my (new to me) car in your pic!

Chris
Racer
I used those same steel wheels on my '70.. Till after a few years of AX and Tracking I noticed cracks near the bolt centers. Then I got some stronger Fuchs.

We're Pedrini's available as well still? or just Mahle's, Fuchs and Steelies?
napasteve
Chris, what is your plan for replacing the wheels on the '74?
tygaboy
QUOTE(napasteve @ Oct 20 2016, 07:40 PM) *

Chris, what is your plan for replacing the wheels on the '74?

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but:
I have a set of Enkeis that came on the '75 that I was planning to swap onto the '74. Then a buddy of mine offers up a set of 16x6 Fuchs so I may go 5 lug. Too many options!
No matter the decision, it's getting different wheels.
TM_Corey
I like the steel wheels. My originals are going back on my non-appearance group 1974 2.0 with fresh powder coat and rubber.
pete000
Many refer the Light alloy Fuch wheel as the "Two Liter Wheel" as I do not think they were available on the 1.7 or 1.8 cars...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Racer @ Oct 20 2016, 05:10 PM) *
We're Pedrini's available as well still? or just Mahle's, Fuchs and Steelies?

The Pedrinis were only available into the 73 model year. Mahles, Fuchs, and the steel wheels were available in 74.

I believe that the Fuchs were available as an option for any of the 74+ cars, either 2.0 or 1.8. Not sure about 73. They were not available in 72 and earlier. (Possibly late 72 model year, but that's questionable.)

--DD
simonjb
I managed to find a set of the 2.0 Fuchs this weekend - but I'm having trouble figuring out which are the correct wheel bolts?java script:emoticon(':wacko:','smid_59')
Cal
QUOTE(simonjb @ Oct 23 2016, 07:16 PM) *

I managed to find a set of the 2.0 Fuchs this weekend - but I'm having trouble figuring out which are the correct wheel bolts?java script:emoticon(':wacko:','smid_59')

OEM 38mm lug bolts are the correct length. This is what they should look like with the vw symbols on the bottom.....they typically go for around $100.00 a set used.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.