Distributor cap
Plug wires
Brake hoses
Rear brake pads
Inner door panels - yes, tan
Passenger window glass with mounting rail
Engine lid assembly- yes

Mark,

Clay is helping out with an engine lid., I found some door panels I will give him and 1 wart assembly , rear latch as well..

Making a smaller list. Yeah..

What’s the first thing on the list ?
“And pan”
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2018, 01:36 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 11 2018, 05:23 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2018, 12:40 PM) *

The List

and pan - ?
Antenna fender mount - probably
Outside door handles and seals
Trunk gasket
Steering wheel and hub cover - yes
Gas tank strap and rubber cushion passenger side - yes
Driver's side mirror - yes
Window handles- yes
Front quarter windows with windowrails - yes
Front side marker light assemblies - yes
Hand brake- Handle assembly - yes
Trunk latch assembly - yes
Distributor cap
Plug wires
Brake hoses
Rear brake pads
Engine lid assembly- yes

Mark,

Clay is helping out with an engine lid., I found some door panels I will give him and 1 wart assembly , rear latch as well..

Making a smaller list. Yeah..

What’s the first thing on the list ?
“And pan”

I am not sure it was in a text message from my step mom so not sure what that means.
914Sixer
I have the rear brake pads, Need shipping info.
mb911
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 11 2018, 02:14 PM) *

I have the rear brake pads, Need shipping info.

Mark

Pm on way.. Thanks

Everyone thanks for the generosity..
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2018, 01:40 PM) *

The List

and pan - ?
Trunk gasket
Window handles- yes
Distributor cap
Plug wires
Brake hoses
Rear brake pads
Engine lid assembly- yes

I have (2) decent Right Side outer door handles that can be combined to make one good one, plus 2 new seal kits for the outer door handles.

Is the trunk gasket front or rear?
mb911
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Jun 11 2018, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2018, 01:40 PM) *

The List

and pan - ?
Trunk gasket
Window handles- yes
Distributor cap
Plug wires
Brake hoses
Rear brake pads
Engine lid assembly- yes

I have (2) decent Right Side outer door handles that can be combined to make one good one, plus 2 new seal kits for the outer door handles.

Is the trunk gasket front or rear?

Rear.. I gave him a semi decent front one..
ClayPerrine
A silver engine lid has been shipped. It is going slow boat via parcel post. Otherwise it was going to be $200.00 to ship due to it being oversized.

Tracking #9461210200830953140314

Hope it helps him out!

mb911
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 12 2018, 06:34 AM) *

A silver engine lid has been shipped. It is going slow boat via parcel post. Otherwise it was going to be $200.00 to ship due to it being oversized.

Tracking #9461210200830953140314

Hope it helps him out!

Thank you and completely understand slow boat is fine.. My dad operates at this level anyway.
mb911
Talked to dad today. He is excited and thankful for all the help.. He is a long time enthusiast. Over the years he had 3 356s, 2 912s, 2 914s, 1 924 turbo and countless British cars. Unfortunately he sold all of them before each became valuable except the last 356 which he was able to make some money on.. Not nearly enough for retirement after a divorce etc.

He is heading into the garage this afternoon to do some work.
914forme
Side window with rail - tinted or clear?

I might have what he needs in the hoard, ahh I mean parts awaiting future projects located in my shop. beer.gif

Presuming since it is a 74 nobody put an early door on that side. I probably have that one in the hoard headbang.gif ahh valuable parts awaiting future projects pile.

Still working on the proper wording to make the parts hoarding seem like less of an issue and more of a planned future, yeah that was a smart thing todo sort of thing. av-943.gif
mb911
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 12 2018, 03:51 PM) *

I might have what he needs in the hoard, ahh I mean parts awaiting future projects located in my shop. beer.gif

Presuming since it is a 74 nobody put an early door on that side. I probably have that one in the hoard headbang.gif ahh valuable parts awaiting future projects pile.

Still working on the proper wording to make the parts hoarding seem like less of an issue and more of a planned future, yeah that was a smart thing todo sort of thing. av-943.gif

Lol I have purging some of my stuff.. Been going to dad's project..

I believe all late doors.
914forme
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 12 2018, 10:37 PM) *

Tinted or clear?
mb911
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 13 2018, 08:33 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 12 2018, 10:37 PM) *

Tinted or clear?

I will have to find out.. Not sure.
Geezer914
Just turned 70 myself, had my 914 since 2009. Keeps me young, just takes longer to fix things now than when I was younger. driving.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jun 13 2018, 10:58 AM) *

Just turned 70 myself, had my 914 since 2009. Keeps me young, just takes longer to fix things now than when I was younger. driving.gif

Wish I could talk dad into joining the forum's it would make it easier for him to find info.
mb911
Dad is stopping by my work today to pick up a bunch of parts.

I found a nice side marker assembly, turn signal lense, 2.0 badge, trunk latches, door panels..

Gonna deliver the muffler as well.

I thank all of you again whom are helping out.
mb911
Click to view attachment

1st package came in. He is very excited. Thanks again everyone.

Ps the glass that he is looking for is clear. No tint.
914Sixer
Looks like your dad and I are the same age.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 16 2018, 01:49 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That looks familiar.

Does it match the car???

Sorry I didn't have a set of letters.
mb911
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 16 2018, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 16 2018, 01:49 PM) *

Click to view attachment

That looks familiar.

Does it match the car???

Sorry I didn't have a set of letters.

Yes it's perfect for him..

He also got these today from a local world member.Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 16 2018, 10:54 AM) *

Looks like your dad and I are the same age.

Its nice that he still enjoys all of this just as you do..
mb911
Dad called me and said he thinks he figured out why no start /crank issue was. The battery under load was less then 10 volts. He should be all set now..

Thanks again everyone.
mb911
Thanks to all the generosity dad has almost everything needed.

I think he still needs door glass, brake hoses, maybe drip tray, steering wheel (I am giving him mine as Mepstein has one for me) .

He did buy a new battery but didn't have an update yet.

I do know he was writing thank you letters to everyone that helped. Expect to see that in snail mail..

Thanks again everyone.
914forme
Okay I have at least one clear pass side window. Sending a PM for the address. I hate shipping glass so here to hoping it makes it with out being a metal channel and a box full of glass crumbs.
Rob-O
Popped by the storage unit this evening. Have some plugs wires but no rear trunk seal. I’ll get the wires out tomorrow.
mb911
Rob Thanks.

So here is where he is at right now

New ignition switch
New starter
New battery
The seat interlock bypassed

Fuel pump kicks on, he hears clicking under the dash, starter doesn't kick over unless solenoid is jumped to the positive terminal.. Any ideas?
theer
Transmission to body ground strap missing/corroded?
mb911
QUOTE(theer @ Jun 21 2018, 01:50 PM) *

Transmission to body ground strap missing/corroded?

He says its clean and good.? I have not looked at it but he said if he uses a test light and grounds to the trans its brite as can be.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 21 2018, 04:18 PM) *

Rob Thanks.

New ignition switch
New starter
New battery

Fuel pump kicks on, he hears clicking under the dash, starter doesn't kick over unless solenoid is jumped to the positive terminal.. Any ideas?

Try a remote starter button to engage the starter. Also load test the battery.

mb911
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 22 2018, 03:59 AM) *

Rob Thanks.

New ignition switch
New starter
New battery

That would work as jumping the solenoid will get the starter going and stay engaged.. So corroded wire somewhere?
marksteinhilber
I had a starter switch problem that was caused by the ignition key tumbler and the ignition switch not playing well together. The shape of the tumbler that sticks into the plastic ignition switch varies between some years or generations and was not the right length, shape, combination, or was worn and would not consistently work with three new ignition switches and two known good original switches in a 1974. I had put this together with new ignition key, tumbler, and switches from online vendors since the PO had kept these as this had been a parts car. I eventually got the original key tumbler for this car from the previous owner and it then worked perfectly with any of the original or new switches.

While I was struggling to figure out this puzzling problem, I kept a remote starter switch connected to the starter and zip tied the trigger up inside the engine compartment. If I was out driving and the car wouldn't start using the key, I could simply turn the ignition on and then hit the remote trigger to crank the car. Worked like a charm. Further investigation eventually found the problem with the key tumbler part. I had tried all kinds of other fixes including the ford starter solenoid, and had cleaned all contacts and grounds, and even had multiple ignition switches in and out many times. With all the fixing and trying, everything ended up very well cleaned and put back together tightly to last. All part of learning the 914.

Storytime over I guess.

My problem was ultimately detected by checking for 12V on the yellow wire at the starter coming from the ignition switch. With various parts installed and contacts cleaned and repaired, I kept checking for 12V when the key was turned to the start position. I did this with a simple 12V light bulb plugged in to the yellow wire spade terminal at the starter as it was an easier one person method than using a multimeter. The yellow wire was disconnected from the starter, the other side of the bulb was wired to ground, and the bulb was placed where I could see it using long wires. This allowed me to test by turning the key and watching for the light to go on. If this test doesn't light the bulb reliably, the starter won't work reliably either. Being older, your dad may enjoy old school simplicity. I soldered long wires to an old tail light bulb that still had one good filament. Recycled and repurposed.
mb911
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Jun 22 2018, 08:42 AM) *

I had a starter switch problem that was caused by the ignition key tumbler and the ignition switch not playing well together. The shape of the tumbler that sticks into the plastic ignition switch varies between some years or generations and was not the right length, shape, combination, or was worn and would not consistently work with three new ignition switches and two known good original switches in a 1974. I had put this together with new ignition key, tumbler, and switches from online vendors since the PO had kept these as this had been a parts car. I eventually got the original key tumbler for this car from the previous owner and it then worked perfectly with any of the original or new switches.

While I was struggling to figure out this puzzling problem, I kept a remote starter switch connected to the starter and zip tied the trigger up inside the engine compartment. If I was out driving and the car wouldn't start using the key, I could simply turn the ignition on and then hit the remote trigger to crank the car. Worked like a charm. Further investigation eventually found the problem with the key tumbler part. I had tried all kinds of other fixes including the ford starter solenoid, and had cleaned all contacts and grounds, and even had multiple ignition switches in and out many times. With all the fixing and trying, everything ended up very well cleaned and put back together tightly to last. All part of learning the 914.

Storytime over I guess.

My problem was ultimately detected by checking for 12V on the yellow wire at the starter coming from the ignition switch. With various parts installed and contacts cleaned and repaired, I kept checking for 12V when the key was turned to the start position. I did this with a simple 12V light bulb plugged in to the yellow wire spade terminal at the starter as it was an easier one person method than using a multimeter. The yellow wire was disconnected from the starter, the other side of the bulb was wired to ground, and the bulb was placed where I could see it using long wires. This allowed me to test by turning the key and watching for the light to go on. If this test doesn't light the bulb reliably, the starter won't work reliably either. Being older, your dad may enjoy old school simplicity. I soldered long wires to an old tail light bulb that still had one good filament. Recycled and repurposed.

Thats a great idea..
marksteinhilber
Yeah, simply put, type.gif if you're havin a problem and you start testing headbang.gif idea.gif and then the light bulb comes on....
you know sh itz workin! piratenanner.gif cheer.gif driving.gif aktion035.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 22 2018, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 22 2018, 03:59 AM) *

Rob Thanks.

New ignition switch
New starter
New battery

That would work as jumping the solenoid will get the starter going and stay engaged.. So corroded wire somewhere?

Probably. Move to the connection under the seat that housed the interlock and test again. If that works, move forward to the ignition switch and send power through the whole starting circuit.

mb911
He says he gets a dim light on the test light with the ignition switch is turned back to the yellow solenoid wire..

Doing this 3 ways removed is hard.. The car is about an hour away from me and he is giving me some details over the phone which I am relaying here.. biggrin.gif fun stuff.
marksteinhilber
Are any of the key tumbler (pic 1) or the steering wheel lock mechanism (pic 2) new to the car? My problem came from a new lock tumbler that was put into a used and untested steering wheel lock housing. It was apparently slightly different and did not work reliably with my car's steering column. The parts fit a little tight and the wheel lock slide or bolt seemed a little different. Any switch put into these procured parts did not work properly once installed inside the column.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

The wiring plug can be pulled off the switch under the dash and steering column and a second good switch can be plugged into the wiring and tested by turning with a flat screwdriver that is inserted into the light green section of the switch in view 2 of this picture.

Click to view attachment

This helped me prove that the key tumbler and housing did not play well inside my column. So I obtained the original housing, tumbler, and switch from the PO and it fit and worked perfectly in the car. In fact, any replacement switch worked perfectly with the original housing and tumbler. Here's where the switch fits into the housing and you can see the tumbler blade that was the culprit right in the center that turns the center of the switch.

Click to view attachment

It seemed that the tumbler blade did not extend the same amount or allowed the center of the switch to move off axis. This probably caused the contacts inside the switch (the yellow wire to the starter solenoid) to not make a good circuit. Or they are designed with matching tumblers that depress the parts inside the green area to disengage some contacts or circuits during starting. Mismatched parts can make this a problem depending on what the contacts are being used for in different cars.. Lesson Learned: A Volkswagen tumbler may look the same and be advertised to fit, but....
Mueller
Too cool project. Have fun working with your dad.

Does he get a family discount on your parts ? smile.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 22 2018, 02:19 PM) *

Too cool project. Have fun working with your dad.

Does he get a family discount on your parts ? smile.gif

He sure seems to get allot of free parts from me that I was saving biggrin.gif

He dropped off 5 wheels today for me to sand blast and powdercoat blink.gif
jcd914
You, I mean he can use a Voltage Drop Test to find where he has resistance in the starter circuit or any other circuits on the car.

In a voltage drop test you are testing the circuit under load.
Resistance in a connection or wire forces current through the voltmeter and the higher the voltage the higher the resistance and the more voltage is lost when using the circuit.

Sine the Starter circuit goes from the battery to Fuse panel or a power junction next to the panel to the ignition switch to the seat belt interlock to the engine compartment relay panel to the starter, there is plenty of places to have resistance and voltage drop.

There are plenty of articles on teh net about voltage drop tests.

Here is one Voltage Drop Test

Quite a handy test.

Jim
ClayPerrine
I would suggest unplugging the ignition switch. Then put a test wire into the yellow wire on the ignition switch plug. Hook that to the remote starter button, and the other side to the positive battery terminal. See if it cranks.

If it does, then the wire between the ignition switch and the starter is good.

If that works, then remove the remote starter button from the battery and connect it to the heavy red wire on the starter switch plug.

If it cranks, replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch. I have seen lots of them fail, so that is probably the problem.
mb911
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 22 2018, 02:58 PM) *

I would suggest unplugging the ignition switch. Then put a test wire into the yellow wire on the ignition switch plug. Hook that to the remote starter button, and the other side to the positive battery terminal. See if it cranks.

If it does, then the wire between the ignition switch and the starter is good.

If that works, then remove the remote starter button from the battery and connect it to the heavy red wire on the starter switch plug.

If it cranks, replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch. I have seen lots of them fail, so that is probably the problem.

So to clarify he has a new switch,battery, starter.. Also I have not gotten to the wiring on my car yet but there is no relay for the starter

I will try the starter button idea though with him.
mb911
Blasted dads wheels yesterday now off to powdercoat silver.. He may paint the centers black afterwardsClick to view attachment
mepstein
Tom bought some Mahles from me and had them powdercoated silver. Nicest set I’ve ever seen.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 26 2018, 03:05 PM) *

Tom bought some Mahles from me and had them powdercoated silver. Nicest set I’ve ever seen.

The silver will be whatever silver they use for their racing wheels.. That's why dad will likely paint the centers black..

mb911
Dad working on scrubbing the car down. He has come up with a rash everytime he worka on the car so felt he needed a good scrubbing. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 22 2018, 11:59 PM) *

Rob Thanks.

New ignition switch
New starter
New battery

agree.gif remote starter switches are super handy and easy to make,test the battery for sure don't just trust them,hope you have luck.
mb911
I think he plans to try it. He is very concerned he was getting the flare up /rashes on his hands becuase of his car being full of some sort of urine from years of barn storage..
mb911
Wheels are done.. Turned out pretty nice.Click to view attachment
white1975
need one of these runs the car without dashClick to view attachment
mb911
Yes that would help quite a bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.