Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake MC leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
I've searched and read all I could. Here's some history. I installed a new 19mm brake master cylinder 2 summers ago, the front reservoir line has leaked from day one. After some research I realized I didn't have distance washers so I got a pair, (Thank you Mepstein).

Today I took the MC to work, cleaned it up, installed the distance washers and grommets. When I tried to shove the lines in I couldn't get the lines to go in, so I read some more. The bird site says install the grommets on the reservoir lines, then pop them in. Another thread said start the lines just barely into the grommets then seat the grommets, then push the lines the rest of the way in.

Both above methods seem like the distance washers could pop out of place trying to move the MC into place and get the grommets and lines installed. Everything I had read until now lead me to believe the MC with washers and grommets should be installed in the car and then the reservoir lines popped into the grommets.

Any insight would be appreciated, I've had the MC out 4 times. Yes, the reservoir is loose so the lines can be pulled down further. I also have long needle nose pliers made for pulling vacuum hoses that I'm using to try to seat the lines.i

I'm over screwing with it and it's driving me nuts.
MartyYeoman
Read my approach here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...Master+cylinder
draganc
"...Marty Yeoman...Update:

It just seemed best to pull it all apart and repair it correctly. I ended up pulling the gas tank, master cylinder, reservoir and feeder lines. I installed new lines and grommets onto the master cylinder and fed them through from below (I bet the factory took the same approach.). Then new bulkhead grommets, connecting tubes and the reservoir tank all from above. It all went together easily without much hassle. I reinstalled the gas tank, bled the system and done...."

1+
I just did it the same way last week. also, if you lightly wet the metal lines with brake fluid it will tremendously help inserting it through the grommets.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.