Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another productive weekend
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
Well, I've been working steadily for the last several weekends getting the front trunk prepped. I've had to fill about a dozen holes left over from the dealer installed A/C system. I also replaced the front trunk floor. Here's the before shot of the trunk floor.

1 of 8

watsonrx13
After installation, prep and primer

2 of 8
watsonrx13
I also prepped the front fenderwells. I didn't remove the front sway bar.

3 of 8
watsonrx13
After primer

4 of 8

watsonrx13
Here's the area underneath the fuel tank, before.

5 of 8
watsonrx13
After primer

6 of 8
watsonrx13
Here's the front trunk/headlight area, before

7 of 8
TonyAKAVW
Very nice! Looks a whole lot nicer than the front trunk repair I did this past weekend... Also known as Learning How To Weld 101.

-Tony
watsonrx13
After primer. Here's the link to my personal website for more pics.

8 of 8

TravisNeff
Great, great job. I am very impressed! pray.gif
watsonrx13
Thanks guys for the compliments.

Tony, you're doing great. Keep at it and you'll learn new techniques that will help you in the future projects. Check out the link I posted for some more details of how I've solved somethings.

Rand
Rob: Thanks for sharing pix! Nice work.

Tony: I couldn't resist tweaking your avatar... biggrin.gif

user posted image
"That's my ride"
TonyAKAVW
Randy: that is SWEEEEEETTTTTT Thats like the best avatar I've ever seen!

I just spent a few minutes looking through your awesome collection of project pictures and descriptions. I am REALLY impressed. That site contains a wealth of useful information. I'm going to refer to that both for inspiration and information. Nicely done!

Now if only I didn't live in an apartment and had space to do body work without having to rush.

-Tony
xsboost90
very nice job. I have whats called ADD and i prevents me from spending too much time on projects like....hey check out this picture!
Joe Ricard
Rob your car is soooo going to ROCK!!!!!
914GT
Hi Rob,

Great work! When you're ready to do your painting, one thing I'd recommend - don't use newspaper for your masking but use some good quality masking paper.
watsonrx13
QUOTE (914GT @ Apr 20 2005, 10:35 PM)
Hi Rob,

Great work! When you're ready to do your painting, one thing I'd recommend - don't use newspaper for your masking but use some good quality masking paper.

Guy, thanks for the comments....

Can I use the newspaper for the small parts being covered?

Are you recommending the masking paper for only the large body coverings?

I'm planning to repaint the exterior after I get the car put back together.
msglaigaie
35 yr old stripper sitting on rolling boxes

Maybe it's me, but this reminds me of my first wife, Jabba the Slut.

MSG L
andys
watsonrx13,

Can you share with us how and what you used to prep the surface, and exactly what kind of primer you used?

Thanks,

Andy
914GT
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Apr 21 2005, 03:34 AM)
Hi Rob,

I've found that newspaper has a lot of loose fibers that get kicked up in the air and settle on your topcoats, causing dust nibs. Good quality masking paper does not have this problem, and it's more resistant to paint bleeding through. You can use aluminum foil to wrap up small parts and wiring too, and it doesn't have the same problem as newsprint. Also, remove all masking you used for primering and remask. Primer dust and particles can dislodge from the old masking and blow off into your new fresh paint.
URY914
I agree with newspaper not being the best but it sure is cheap.

Great for priming, but for finish work, better use the right stuff.

Paul
Eric_Shea
Rob,

You're a monster smilie_pokal.gif
watsonrx13
Good point Guy, I'll strip the newspaper and use masking paper and aluminium foil for the small pieces.

I'm going to COLOR this weekend.

QUOTE (914GT @ Apr 21 2005, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (watsonrx13 @ Apr 21 2005, 03:34 AM)
Hi Rob,

I've found that newspaper has a lot of loose fibers that get kicked up in the air and settle on your topcoats, causing dust nibs. Good quality masking paper does not have this problem, and it's more resistant to paint bleeding through. You can use aluminum foil to wrap up small parts and wiring too, and it doesn't have the same problem as newsprint. Also, remove all masking you used for primering and remask. Primer dust and particles can dislodge from the old masking and blow off into your new fresh paint.

tat2dphreak
looking good man!!! smilie_pokal.gif you guys are making me feel bad!!! wink.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE (andys @ Apr 21 2005, 10:26 AM)
watsonrx13,

Can you share with us how and what you used to prep the surface, and exactly what kind of primer you used?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy, I used several methods to prep the metal/paint before I primered.

1. bare metal - I used Ospho on the bare metal to stop any rust from spreading. Then I used AllMetal putty to fill any seams and/or depressions.

2. paint - used Scotch-brite purple pad with denatured alcohol to scuff the paint.

3. metal and paint - used a dewaxer/degreaser on a 'cheese-cloth' to do a one time wipe down. Mixed paint, then wiped down one last time with a tack cloth.

Andy, I don't have the exact primer, but I used Omni products. The bare metal received an etch primer first, then the regular primer over everything.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.