Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1975 battery fire? What would cause this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
garrettlee2
Hello all, today I bought a very nice 914 that had what looks like a battery fire. I think that because the battery has melted in half and the sail pail shows signs of smoke. I bought it from a donation yard so the owner isn't around to question. So I bring it to y'all, What would cause this and how can I prevent it in the future?Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
It's a late model. The coil was on the tin. Often the tin will rip and the coil will no longer be firmly held in place. If the coil rotates and contacts the tin it will short to the engine tin. If you keep cranking it trying to start it, the battery cables melt and it will even burn away the sheet metal where the negative cable contacts the sheet metal above the battery. Often a good bit of harness will be melted.

Not too hard to fix. Depending on the extent of the damage. Contact Bowlsby for a replacement harness. As for prevention, securely mount the coil.
bdstone914
What are you going to do with that one? Call me when you get it home so we can check it out.
Bruce
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 27 2016, 07:26 PM) *

It's a late model. The coil was on the tin. Often the tin will rip and the coil will no longer be firmly held in place. If the coil rotates and contacts the tin it will short to the engine tin. If you keep cranking it trying to start it, the battery cables melt and it will even burn away the sheet metal where the negative cable contacts the sheet metal above the battery. Often a good bit of harness will be melted.

Not too hard to fix. Depending on the extent of the damage. Contact Bowlsby for a replacement harness. As for prevention, securely mount the coil.

type.gif

Did you pull this nugget from a book or something?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 27 2016, 11:54 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 27 2016, 07:26 PM) *

type.gif

Did you pull this nugget from a book or something?

Believe it or not, I almost did the same thing to mine... in fact, before McMark left for Grand Rapids, he repaired the burned out negative post and replaced it. Been a long time since mine was a Type IV with late tin, but I do remember things. Experience is a bitch of a teacher. This almost went up in flames!
jim_hoyland
Many late cars, like mine, had the coil mounted on the forward passenger side of the fan housing. A special bracket fits there and an 8mm hex-head holds in in.
rudedude
Does anyone have a picture of this late model bracket or one to sell?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(rudedude @ Oct 28 2016, 06:02 AM) *

Does anyone have a picture of this late model bracket or one to sell?

I just picked one up at the Swapmeet; Bruce Stone may have them made and available. I'll post a pic shortly.....
jim_hoyland
Here's a pic: I glued a thin rubber vibration strip to the inside edge for a tighter grip
rudedude
Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.