Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 Carrera Engine Fitment Into a 914/4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tach
I have a 1987 911 3.2 carrera engine I would like to install into a 74 914.
1. Will the engine fit with out chopping up the engine compartment?
2. Will the 901 trans and starter bolt on 3.2 engine.
3. Flywheel clutch pressure plate, what works.
4. What other modifications/issues should I consider installing this engine.

Thanks.
Tom_T
While not in a 914, I do know that Porsche built 17 VW Vanagons with the 3.2L Carrera motor (& they too were just a 1.9 or 2.1L WBX flat-4 in a tight engine bay), along with all the 911 running gear & sold them for 100,000+ DM (more than their price-topping 928 then). You can find info on them if you google for Porsche B32 Carrera.

I'm sure some on here have done the 914 3.2 build, so hopefully they will chime in, plus you can do a google search for it, & actually get more/better hits in 914world, than with the internal search function on here.

PS - It should be the same engine fit as the other Porsche aicooled 6's into a 914-6 conversion, but I'd recco using the 5-speed trans that came with the 3.2 Carrera (G50 IIRC), if it can be "turned-around" for mid-engine use.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SirAndy
QUOTE(tach @ Oct 28 2016, 12:10 PM) *

Thanks.

1. Yes but if i recall correctly you have to flip the intake to prevent the throttle body from hitting the trunk or do some modifications to the upper intake system.

2. Yes but i'd suggest getting a high-torque starter.

3. There are several threads on how adapt a /6 to a 901. For my 3.6L, KEP (Kennedy Engineering) had all the needed parts (sans the actual flywheel).

4. Depending on where you live and what kind of driving you're aiming for, you may need additional external oil cooling.
I know of several 3.2L conversions that run just fine with only the stock oil cooler but those are all street cars.

5. You'll have to figure out what to do for an oil tank.

6. You need to mate the 3.2L engine harness to your 914 chassis harness. I think PMS (Patrick Motorsports) makes a conversion adapter for the 3.2L, they do for the 3.6L.

7. Custom or 914/6 throttle cable.

8. Custom or 914/6 shift rod.

9. Better brakes to deal with the increased power.

10. Wider wheels and tires to deal with the increased power.

smash.gif
tygaboy
Take a close look at what Sir Andy outlined. It's a ton of work - really, I'd advise against it. You'd be far better off selling the 3.2 to me! happy11.gif

Kidding, of course. There are any number of threads here that'll cover 'bout everything you can think of on your conversion.

Best of luck with the build and let me be the first to say:
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
JmuRiz
tygaboy, I was thinking the same thing....the 3.2 is great in a 914 if it's done well (as Andy laid out in his post).

Don't short cut it and it will be amazing!
mepstein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 28 2016, 03:32 PM) *

Thanks.

1. Yes but if i recall correctly you have to flip the intake to prevent the throttle body from hitting the trunk or do some modifications to the upper intake system.

2. Yes but i'd suggest getting a high-torque starter.

3. There are several threads on how adapt a /6 to a 901. For my 3.6L, KEP (Kennedy Engineering) had all the needed parts (sans the actual flywheel).

4. Depending on where you live and what kind of driving you're aiming for, you may need additional external oil cooling.
I know of several 3.2L conversions that run just fine with only the stock oil cooler but those are all street cars.

5. You'll have to figure out what to do for an oil tank.

6. You need to mate the 3.2L engine harness to your 914 chassis harness. I think PMS (Patrick Motorsports) makes a conversion adapter for the 3.2L, they do for the 3.6L.

7. Custom or 914/6 throttle cable.

8. Custom or 914/6 shift rod.

9. Better brakes to deal with the increased power.

10. Wider wheels and tires to deal with the increased power.

smash.gif

A $10 extension from pep boys will let you fit a stock 3.2 air box into the engine bay without flipping or cutting. There are threads for this and the entire engine swap on this site. Actually there are many 3.2 conversion threads if you just do a search. You will be into the conversion for about $10-15k not including the engine or cost of labor. More if you want all the high end parts and brakes, wheels, tires, flares and 915 trans. There is no G50 trans conversion unless you are getting something custom made with cable shifters.
pbanders

Thanks.

FWIW, I would call Patrick Motorsports on the phone and talk to Jim Patrick about what you're planning. They've done a lot of this type of conversions, and the manufacture all the custom pieces you will need. Not cheap, but high quality. There other sources, too, I'm sure other people here can fill you in on the other options.

(602) 244-0911
ConeDodger
Call McMark at Original Customs. He did my 3.2 conversion. And, he's not too far from Minnesota!
ClayPerrine
There are adapter flywheels out there for the 215mm clutch that is used in the 914. If you use the 901 from a 70 or 71 911, it uses teh 225mm clutch, same as the 3.2 engine. So it all bolts together.

And you can't flip the ring and pinion on a G50. The case design doesn't allow it.

But you can run it upside down. But that will screw up the axle geometry and it will hit the bottom of the rear trunk when you try to put the engine in correctly.

915 with a wevo or 916 kit is the best bet for a 3.2.
Steve
Very simple swap. I did mine 16 years ago, by myself in the garage, with a 914 and 911 Haynes manual.
I am not a mechanic by trade. My profession is IT
Some of the parts...
-914-6 tin
-3.2 tachometer and gauges
-front trunk mounted 3.2 pump
-Kennedy stage two adapter ring and clutch (for use with 914 trans)
I upgraded later to a 916 trans, to get the correct gearing for street.
-PMS front oil cooler and Getty design Gt shroud
-stock 914-6 oil tank
-rich Johnson motor mount and throttle cable assembly
-made my own wiring harness.
-pep boys air flow meter extender.
-1 5/8" MSDS headers
-911 muffler
-PMS shift rod or have one made.
-Also check out CFR's 914-6 shift rod, bushings and other 914-6 stuff.
Check out the member vendors forum for links or use google for there web sites.
If you have the money I would also use Mcmark
jim912928
I put a 3.2 in mine (search jim912928 for write up on wiring and fuel conversion). I didn't flip my throttle body and use the stock air box. Wasn't a hard conversion. I run 901 tranny...just had to notch it for the sensors.
eitnurg
What they said. I used (many years ago now) PMO Webers - which solved some problems, but introduced others - and a 901 side shifter trans (the shift rod was simply bent straight(er), and then shortened to suit.) Relatively straightforward, the issues that I remember were:
1) HE pipe diameter is critical. No matter what is said, the original 914/6 version is too narrow & reduces power and max rpm.
2) the 3.2 runs a much higher CR - and thus reduced ign advance - than any previous 911 engine (or at least the Euro one does), all ignition is dealt with by the Motronic box, the distributor just points to various cylinders, it has no advance mechanism in it. You can't just substitute an earlier distributor (too much advance), and also ISTR a direction of rotation issue. After many years messing around with a succession of magic boxes, I ended up getting an early distributor re-curved - a virtually vanished art these days.
sled9146
Ditto Sir Andy
I changed to the latest "901" aka 1970/71 911 transaxle to get the 10mm larger clutch. Just use first gear to get moving and then 2-5 for full acceleration or you will be replacing mainshafts
Recommend converting to "GT" engine lid with full mesh and front oil cooler and you should not have any cooling problems
MoveQik
The motor will fit perfectly. :-). Tons of great tips offered above.
Steve
Love my 3.2 with Stock DME fuel injection. I miss the sound of the webers, but I don't miss the hassle of clogged jets and tweaking. The 3.2 also has an altitude sensor to automatically adjust for different elevations.
mb911
Between rich Johnson and I we can supply you with all the required conversion parts.. Its well worth the time. Very fun with a 3.2
patssle
Here's my 3.0L build photo album: http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl
boxsterfan
The biggest installation problem with a 3.2L in yoru 914 is callled a "reverse installation" or exit problem. Basically, you have a hard time exiting the driver's side door due to the gigantic grin on your face.
PanelBilly
Looks like it can't be done
shoguneagle
It appears you have everything in various combinations to get your conversion; you have all the basic resources at your finger tips, etc.

The only thing not covered is the electrical wiring connections (in case Patrick adaptor is not the way you want to go. The alternate is to change the pin wiring on the 14-pin connector in the engine compartment. Either adapt the engine wiring harness to the car wiring or car wiring to engine harness. time consuming but very straight forward to do and then the attaching of the engine harness into the car harness - again very time consuming but straight forward.

The are considerable threads regarding the conversion: information sources, parts, people who have done it, etc.

You will enjoy the project and the eventual driving of the car. Does not get any better than that except carving up the road curves or race track.

Have Fun!

Steve
mb911
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Oct 30 2016, 05:58 AM) *

It appears you have everything in various combinations to get your conversion; you have all the basic resources at your finger tips, etc.

The only thing not covered is the electrical wiring connections (in case Patrick adaptor is not the way you want to go. The alternate is to change the pin wiring on the 14-pin connector in the engine compartment. Either adapt the engine wiring harness to the car wiring or car wiring to engine harness. time consuming but very straight forward to do and then the attaching of the engine harness into the car harness - again very time consuming but straight forward.

The are considerable threads regarding the conversion: information sources, parts, people who have done it, etc.

You will enjoy the project and the eventual driving of the car. Does not get any better than that except carving up the road curves or race track.

Have Fun!

Steve

I did that on my last conversion.. Well worth it but I recall muy fuel pump ran with the key on all the time so it was not related to the engine running which was dangerous.. Probably my mistake all those years ago
Gary
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 28 2016, 08:09 PM) *

Call McMark at Original Customs. He did my 3.2 conversion. And, he's not too far from Minnesota!

So, it's possible he's installing another 3.2 for a board member biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
larryM
all the above advice is sound - just have your checkbook at the ready

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...conversion.html

google will be your best friend vs trying to search keywords on our forums

the 3.2-901 clutch-kit will cost ya $1000 or more - (assume ya have the flywheel)

a set of headers will be another $500- $2000

- aux external oil cooler with 911 aux thermostat & "GT" lid is a must unless you want to join the other guys reporting 225-260 cruise oil temps on their conversions

you'll need to convert your 3.2 engine oil cooler or buy a oem-6 cooler

you'll need various different senders & matching gauges -

don't forget to replace those old plastic fuel lines & run a larger battery cable

14-pin & other needed bosch connectors are hard to find new

(i used the PMS harness adapter on my car - time vs money) - but they don't always have 3.2 items in stock anymore cuz they say there aren't many "good" 3.2s available

3.2 fuel line connectors & hard lines to match a carrera filter are also hard to find

- look in your local junkyard at older Mercedes, BMW & VW stuff

here's a good 911 link
www.pelicanparts.com/MotorCity/marcesq1/Modifications.html

get George Hussey's old 914-6 conversion book - lots of good tips in it for the novice project

Thanks.

mepstein
Buy the clutch kit directly from kep ( Kennedy engineering products) instead of resold by pms and you'll spend about $600 instead of $1,000.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.