Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilt Alternator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I bought a rebuilt AC Delco rebuilt alternator because it was all I could find a couple of months ago. I checked it when it came and everything seemed to be correct. Well yesterday, I pulled it out to transfer the cover. Got the cover pulled off the old one and went to test fit to the AC Delco before painting. The posts of the newly rebuilt one were over 1/2 " too long. The next thing I saw was the diode plate was sticking up OVER the top of the housing. headbang.gif The only thing to do was start disassembly of the back of the alternator. Lifted up diode plate and took off the too tall nuts holding the post and replaced them with thinner nuts. This let the diode plate drop below the housing. One problem solved and on to the wrong size bolts. I measured the length of the the ones from the old alternator and got out the cut off wheel and went to work. With the bolts cut off I was able to test fit every thing. What ever happened to plug and play???? confused24.gif
87m491
I hear you on "all you could find", BTDT. But going with a Delco rebuild for a Porsche and thinking Plug N Play was more Hopium than a real expectation. I'm guessing that is at least half the reason so many folks go with a local rebuilder or do it themselves. I have had good luck with aspwholesale.com. for Bosch alt/starter parts. Also feel you on the delay getting parts bolted up. Often mine sit well past the return period before I get to them and find they are incompatible. Next new years resolution is install parts as they hit my in box!

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 29 2016, 03:45 AM) *

I bought a rebuilt AC Delco rebuilt alternator because it was all I could find a couple of months ago. . What ever happened to plug and play???? confused24.gif
Downunderman
So which AC Delco fits?
jim_hoyland
I have a spare that had been rebuilt at a local shop; forgot whether it was originally on my car or I picked it up at the swap meet: from the pictures, does the back appear that it will fit ?

And; is my unit missing the black part (?) in the middle ? Don't know what it is yet
ClayPerrine
Every single rebuilt alternator I have purchased for a /4 in the last 30 years had this issue. The reman shop doesn't give a shit about the length of the stud.

And for 30 years I have been cutting off the studs to clear the cover on the back.

Oh.. and don't forget the rubber boot over the positive terminal.
914Sixer
Jim,
Your alternator looks to be correct. Clay is also right, DO NOT forget the rubber boot that goes on the red wire. It is a VW boot used on Bugs.
bdstone914
I have a local shop that rebuilds them correctly. He has been doing it for 25 years. I have a bunch of cores and can get one rebuilt for $85 plus a core charge of $25.
Dont trust comericial rebuilds.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Oct 29 2016, 07:16 PM) *

Jim,
Your alternator looks to be correct. Clay is also right, DO NOT forget the rubber boot that goes on the red wire. It is a VW boot used on Bugs.

Is that black thingy in the middle missing from mine ? And, is this boot suitable ?
mepstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 29 2016, 10:19 PM) *

I have a local shop that rebuilds them correctly. He has been doing it for 25 years. I have a bunch of cores and can get one rebuilt for $85 plus a core charge of $25.
Dont trust comericial rebuilds.

agree.gif I do the same. They rebuild them on my core. I know what I'm getting back is correct.
ClayPerrine
Anyone want to try this?

Bosch 95 amp industrial alternator.

From the pictures, it looks like a 914 alternator.
914Sixer
Might work, but I think the front plate would need to be fitted with a 914 one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.