Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best (affordable) muffler for 914-4 with 103mm Cylinders.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HansJan
Hello,

Sorry to ask (could not find it by search).

My 914 has 103mm cylinders and aftermarket cam etc. While this makes it faster, the noise is just crazy. Looking to see which muffler is recommended to drastically lower the dB's.
Currently have the muffler shown in picture.
Should it be Dansk style or should it be Bursch type setup?

note:
My car is definitely not (yet) worth the Tangerine muffler.

Click to view attachment
Krieger
Do the Bursch.
michael7810
I found the Bursch was too loud for me and replaced the muffler in the Bursch unit with one from Summit racing (PN MPE 11124 - $87 + shipping) at the recommendation of others on this forum. It now sounds great.
dflesburg
doesn't m&k make a muffler for the type 4?

nope.
IronHillRestorations
Bursch is going to be loud. Liestritz or Dansk, Liestriz is the most quiet but all you'll find is 40 year old used.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Nov 4 2016, 07:54 AM) *

I found the Bursch was too loud for me and replaced the muffler in the Bursch unit with one from Summit racing (PN MPE 11124 - $87 + shipping) at the recommendation of others on this forum. It now sounds great.

I have a Magnaflo on my 2.6L (102x78mm) T4 bug...loud as fuck.

If you want to try a magnaflow I'd first try the corvette style, with the in/out on the same side.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mpe-14210/overview/
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Nov 4 2016, 06:59 AM) *

Bursch is going to be loud. Liestritz or Dansk, Liestriz is the most quiet but all you'll find is 40 year old used.

This one is leistitz and yes it is quiet. I still have it for back up.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Valy
If I'm not mistaken, that's a Bursch glasspack and should be loud. Bursch also has a regular muffler that sounds ok. All you need is to replace the muffler and keep the pipes adapter.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 4 2016, 08:19 AM) *

If I'm not mistaken, that's a Bursch glasspack and should be loud. Bursch also has a regular muffler that sounds ok. All you need is to replace the muffler and keep the pipes adapter.

Currently I'm using a bursch pipes with Magnaflow muffler and sounds a little loud but I think it is just right. Before I used glasspack and it is so loud for my neighborhood. The leistritz is too quiet and for me it seems I'm not driving a 914. But again I will keep the leistritz for my back up in case I get some complain from my neighbor with the magnaflow/bursch set up.
Elliot Cannon
I have had these Euro-headers on my 2.2liter for about 13 years. Inexpensive and fairly quiet. My wife thinks they are too loud and my neighbors... Well who gives a $hit what they think right? laugh.gif smoke.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Nov 4 2016, 09:46 AM) *

doesn't m&k make a muffler for the type 4?

nope.

I bought the prototype from Ben. Now Zach has it.
jim_hoyland
Wouldn't a Boxster soften the sound ?
maf914
QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 4 2016, 07:19 AM) *

That is not a Bursch, the collector arrangement is different. It might be a Thunderbird or Sebring. I used a Bursch for several years and was generally satisfied with the sound. But when you add displacement and carbs your noise level will probably rise a bit! laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Nov 4 2016, 01:04 PM) *
Wouldn't a Boxster soften the sound ?

Boxster mufflers are boat anchors. They're heavier than the rest of the car ...
icon8.gif
HansJan
Do all of these mufflers have the same bolt-pattern and flanges?
I am offered a Leistitz (suitable for 1.7/1.8). Will this work on my 2.3l car?
HansJan
Sorry to keep bothering you all.

I have gotten an exhaust system from some-one locally.
Looks like Sebring (as seen on Pelican web-site).
Wire brushed it.
Painted it.
Bought the gaskets.

To find that it doesn't fit.
The pipes are to close to one-another.

The distance between the inner bolt holes is 19 3/4".
On the car it is 21 1/2".

Car is from 1972.
Engine is 2.0 l block with 103mm cylinders.

If I were to order a Dansk style Muffler on-line, how would I make sure that it is going to fit?

Thanks for your help.
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Its pretty simple. The heat exchangers on your car are 1.7L/1.8L and the extractor you bought is for 2.0L HE's. Find a 1.7L exhaust, or 2.0L HE's and it will fit.
HansJan
Thank you soo much, for your very clear and complete answer.
pray.gif
JeffBowlsby
I would gladly accept that nicely painted 2.0L extractor as equitable compensation for my services! Sorry for your efforts to date, it must be frustrating. wink.gif
HansJan
It is no good to me. You can have it.
Just come by, to pick it up.....
Or figure out how to ship it.

Ps; extractor is the four-pipe curly bit?
JeffBowlsby
The extractor is the whole assembly in the photos, both pieces including the muffler. Can you send me the gaskets too?

Sure I would pay shipping for it, cheapest shipping to 94583. I do not plan to be in TX anytime soon. PM the total to me and your PP.

Thanks, Jeff
McMark
If your engine is that big, 1.7 exhaust is seriously limiting the power you're making. And putting more heat in the motor. A header system would improve things. The one Elliot posted above isn't too expensive and is a step in the right direction.
maf914
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ Nov 29 2016, 11:02 PM) *

Ps; extractor is the four-pipe curly bit?

The extractor is the four pipe collector assembly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuned_exhaust
SO.O.C914er
Elliot where did you get your headers and tail pipe set up. What was the cost, looks like the right way to go.
Jgilliam914
Why hasn't someone pointed out the obvious?? Leave the fucher loud and wear ear plugs!! lol-2.gif
HansJan
Personally, I dont mind the noise. But (unlike Elliot) I happen to like my neighbours. Bringing kids to school at 6:30 with this sound is just not right.

Will keep the exhaust system I have for track-days etc (if I ever get this car to on tye road, it is on stands sinds May).
HansJan
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 30 2016, 02:52 AM) *

The extractor is the whole assembly in the photos, both pieces including the muffler. Can you send me the gaskets too?

Sure I would pay shipping for it, cheapest shipping to 94583. I do not plan to be in TX anytime soon. PM the total to me and your PP.

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,

I do not want to be an Indian-giver. But like to keep the muffler-part of the assembly. Will send you the four-pipe curly piece.
Please PM your address.
lonewolfe
There are three different types of heat exchangers for our cars depending on year and size of motor. There are also three different exhaust hangers that match the various heat exchangers and mufflers. For whichever style you choose all three components have to match. For your motor with 103mm jugs I'd go for early 2.0 heat exchangers and exhaust hanger along with a header or muffler made for a '73 - '74 2.0 engine. They made the 2.0's in '75-'76 also but those models have a completely different heat exchanger/muffler design that was very restrictive. You don't want one of those late model setups.
HansJan
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Dec 1 2016, 01:43 PM) *

There are three different types of heat exchangers for our cars depending on year and size of motor. There are also three different exhaust hangers that match the various heat exchangers and mufflers. For whichever style you choose all three components have to match. For your motor with 103mm jugs I'd go for early 2.0 heat exchangers and exhaust hanger along with a header or muffler made for a '73 - '74 2.0 engine. They made the 2.0's in '75-'76 also but those models have a completely different heat exchanger/muffler design that was very restrictive. You don't want one of those late model setups.

Thank you. Give it some time, and soo much can be learned here.
You guys have been very helpfull.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ Dec 1 2016, 10:33 AM) *

Jeff,

I do not want to be an Indian-giver. But like to keep the muffler-part of the assembly. Will send you the four-pipe curly piece.
Please PM your address.

Thanks anyways Hans, no worries. Those two parts belong together and should not be separated.
krazykonrad
If its too loud, you're too old. beerchug.gif

Konrad
HansJan
Please PM your address.
[/quote]

Thanks anyways Hans, no worries. Those two parts belong together and should not be separated.
[/quote]

Jeff,
Bought new setup from Pelican, for a 1.7L engine.
Used the new 1.7L extractor and bolted on the old 2.0L muffler.

It fits and seems to work (car is a lot calmer now).
However there is a large noticeable drop in power, and I can see that the heat goes up sooner. Will see if this will work in the Houston summer.

Having said this. I have now left for you the 2.0L extractor mated up with the brand-new muffler for the 1.7L (without gaskets) Side note: the muffler has same outside dimensions and same markings as the one for 2.0L.

I think this will work on 2.0L engine. The only thing would be that the opening in the rear valance could be in wrong place.

Box weight is 24 lbs
Sizes: 13'-20'-46"
If you email me a shipping label (from UPS,com), I will drop it off for you.
See pics.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
PM sent
Mark Henry
Really that size you need a header for power. As much as I hate AA their /4 header is made by MSDS. Or watch the classifieds, I don't know if European still makes a /4 header. Then make up a muffler, many guys here like the in/out same side Corvette Magnaflow. It flows pretty good and the 180 turn inside the muffler quiets things down a fair bit.
If you can't fab this any muffler shop should be able to do it. Just make sure they mount it proper to the transmission.
HansJan
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 14 2017, 10:38 AM) *

Really that size you need a header for power. As much as I hate AA their /4 header is made by MSDS. Or watch the classifieds, I don't know if European still makes a /4 header. Then make up a muffler, many guys here like the in/out same side Corvette Magnaflow. It flows pretty good and the 180 turn inside the muffler quiets things down a fair bit.
If you can't fab this any muffler shop should be able to do it. Just make sure they mount it proper to the transmission.

Im convinced that you are correct. Before it gets too hot here, I will make another change. Last week the car was wild (breaking loose the rear tires easily if not careful)
Now it is very tame comparatively. But the noise level is way down.

Thanks for chiming in.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 14 2017, 11:38 AM) *

Just buy directly from MSDS. Marty is a great guy to deal with and he offers world members a 10% discount. No reason to deal with AA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.