Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front main seal - should I or shouldn't I
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

Been really trying to tighten up the miscellaneous leaks on my 2056. What I thought was a leak from a bad front main seal looks like it is actually caused by a partially disintegrated oil pump gasket. See pic below.

I don't see evidence of an active leak from the main seal, but there is some sticky oil residue around it.

My general approach to old cars is not to fix something that aint broke, or risk messing something else up in the process. But since the motor is out and I have all the stuff to replace the seal (and the oil pump gasket), do you think it's a good idea to replace the front? Or leave well enough alone? FYI, the motor was last gone through about 10 years ago.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
My general rule of thumb is 10 years or 100k or be ok with the impending minor leak. 125-150k is when I usually see undersides covered in sludge. In the NE it may take longer than 10 years for the rubber to dry out and leak.
dlee6204
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Nov 4 2016, 01:54 PM) *

My general approach to old cars is not to fix something that aint broke, or risk messing something else up in the process. But since the motor is out and I have all the stuff to replace the seal (and the oil pump gasket), do you think it's a good idea to replace the front? Or leave well enough alone? FYI, the motor was last gone through about 10 years ago.

Thanks!

[attachmentid=580511

I have the exact opposite opinion with old cars. I'm not happy until I replace it and I know it's not going to unexpectedly fail.

I say go ahead and replace it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.