Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Wiring Schematic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SixerJ
Hi Guys,

I've been trawling 914 World and the internet generally for a cleaner copy of the attached for my '70 -6

I have found links to this http://www.zapfenterprises.com/orderInfo.html which is the only colour option in existence, as at would appear the factory never bothered & probably will order in the fullness of time

I've also managed to find what I think is a diagram for the '72 six on Jeff's site here http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zMan_1970-7...2Supplement.pdf

I've got an electronic copy of the workshop manuals (I'm assuming the electrical section is complete), no luck there either. I've also taken a peep at my friends set of paper manuals, which had the attached as a photocopy slipped in

This diagram seems to be the holy grail of wiring diagrams confused24.gif & I would appear to have run into a wall for the early cars headbang.gif & any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jon

Click to view attachment
GeorgeRud
Those are the only two that I've ever seen. Art Zapf did a great job, but isn't giving them away by any means.

Many circuits are similar to the -4, so the current flow diagrams in the workshop manuals should often get you pretty far.
914Sixer
The Art Zapf one is the only one to consider. Is the the web site current? They were NLA about 10 years ago.
type47fan
QUOTE(SixerJ @ Nov 6 2016, 07:05 AM) *

Hi Guys,

I've been trawling 914 World and the internet generally for a cleaner copy of the attached for my '70 -6

I have found links to this http://www.zapfenterprises.com/orderInfo.html which is the only colour option in existence, as at would appear the factory never bothered & probably will order in the fullness of time

I've also managed to find what I think is a diagram for the '72 six on Jeff's site here http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zMan_1970-7...2Supplement.pdf

I've got an electronic copy of the workshop manuals (I'm assuming the electrical section is complete), no luck there either. I've also taken a peep at my friends set of paper manuals, which had the attached as a photocopy slipped in

This diagram seems to be the holy grail of wiring diagrams confused24.gif & I would appear to have run into a wall for the early cars headbang.gif & any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jon

Click to view attachment

Jon (SixerJ), I purchased one from Arthur Zapf in November, 2001. It was printed on November 07, 2001 and has been rolled up in the shipping tube since that time. The image is his glossy color photo print of 18" x 23".

Attached is a picture I just took, for this post, of some detail from the center of the print. It's definitely a 10. I'll sell it for $95.00, plus shipping/insurance.

Jon, since you expressed your interest in the World Garage and not the Classifieds, I'm responding initially here. If you're interested, send me a PM and we can discuss a change of ownership. If you don't want it, let me know and I'll re-post it in the World Classified Forum, where it really belongs.

Best regards,
Wayne Cowie
type47fan

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
That seems like a good deal for a product which is commonly referred to as one of the best wiring diagrams out there. Good luck.
peteyd
Im sure Kroon would have a diagram, whether he is willing to sell you one is another question.

http://www.kroonwireharnesses.com/porsche-...sche-914-6-1970

Pete
gereed75
I got a color diagram from Art about 2 years ago. I got he impression that it was the last or nearly the last one and he would not be making anymore.

It is a good diagram but a little hard to follow the colors.

He had paper B/W printed diagrams that I suspect are from the factory manual. They are smaller but very detailed and clear and I actually find them easier to use. He may have more of these.

Unfortunately I am traveling and will not have access to them. Try to contact Art or maybe someone else has them??
SixerJ
PM sent to Type47, hopefully this will work out, thanks guys
type47fan
Funds were received and the Zapf schematic has been shipped to SixerJ across the pond. Thanks, Jon.

QUOTE(SixerJ @ Nov 7 2016, 02:57 PM) *

PM sent to Type47, hopefully this will work out, thanks guys

Dave_Darling
As far as I can tell, you have three choices when it comes to 914-6 wiring diagrams.

1- The B&W-only one on Pelican, which is kind of crappy but seems to be the factory diagram
2- Art Zapf's actual color diagram, which seems to be hard to get ahold of
3- Make one yourself

And possibly, you could talk Kroon into printing one for you.

--DD
gereed75
I got a set of b/w ones from Art. They are better detailed, more concise than his color ones and I have found no errors on them when using them with my early 70 six. I believe he had some b/w ones left but no color ones. That was about a year ago.

I would call the pelican one marginally usable because you can not read the colors
SixerJ
Sage advice as always smiley_notworthy.gif from this forum

The search for information started with me wanting to document a six engine wiring harness that I bought from TC a while back (along with the main harness) as a replacement for my six. It's current harness has been badly hacked around and generally toast

Really happy with the purchase of the colour plan from type47fan, I will also contact Art to see if he has any B&W ones still. Options are always good, especially if the options are thin on the ground
bahnzai
FYI- As an update, I was in contact with Art through his website (quick, easy response). He still has all three versions available, and I went ahead and ordered a color one.
ZIPSIXR
After reviewing these posts, let me clear some things up.
Art Zapf is still around, that is me. I took down my website because sales did not justify the costs.

Regarding the SIX wire schematics
When I researched this subject in the early 1980s, I found two Six schematics: A European version and a US version with a diagnostic box. Neither one represented the cars we have in the US. It is why I decided to make them.
There are no others worldwide to my knowledge unless it is a copy of mine.

If you look to Kroon, his wire harnesses were built to my schematic - I sold one to him.

I have sold these world wide for you the 914-6 owners as I no longer have my six, sadly.
I made the Black and white first and it is made to fit fan folded in the factory manual.
The color was made before computers using graphic tape. It took years before I could get it color copied and it a digital database.
I have plenty of B&W, sadly down to one each of the gloss and encapsulated ones. There are expensive to print, plus my time place orders, pick them up and ship. With sales down to one or two a year, it may not be worth my time and money to print enough in volume to give you better prices. The way of the world.

I am looking for the right person or entity to pass this database to for it be available in the future for the SIX community, but a price - I think I earned it.
I can be reached by email: arthurzapf@gmail.com
914Sixer
Someone NEEDS to step up for this opportunity.

@Mikey914
barefoot
Here is workshop manual, but it looks like only 4 cylinders wiring diagrams included:
Also 6 cyl. diagram 2nd link. beerchug.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
http://p914-6info.net/PDFs/Group%209%20Electrical.pdf

http://web.archive.org/web/20121020040552/..._electrical.jpg
Mikey914
We have been setting up to do the wirring harnesses in mass and I will contact Art to see if we can work something out.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 8 2016, 05:53 PM) *

As far as I can tell, you have three choices when it comes to 914-6 wiring diagrams.

1- The B&W-only one on Pelican, which is kind of crappy but seems to be the factory diagram
2- Art Zapf's actual color diagram, which seems to be hard to get ahold of
3- Make one yourself

And possibly, you could talk Kroon into printing one for you.

--DD

I have the book that the Black and White one on Pelican came from. It doesn't have the pencil marking on it like the one on Pelican. I sent it to Pelican years ago to tell them to update it, but they never did.

Clay
peteyd
We have been producing the /6 harness for several years now and we have Schematics that are very easy to read.

We did not copy Arts work. We used an NOS harness and measured every wire.

Pete
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Sep 19 2021, 05:55 PM) *

Someone NEEDS to step up for this opportunity.

@Mikey914

"I took down my website because sales did not justify the costs."

"With sales down to one or two a year, it may not be worth my time and money to print enough in volume to give you better prices. The way of the world."

If multiple vendors are already supplying schematics, it doesn't sound like there is much opportunity here.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(peteyd @ Sep 20 2021, 03:39 PM) *

We have been producing the /6 harness for several years now and we have Schematics that are very easy to read.

We did not copy Arts work. We used an NOS harness and measured every wire.

Pete

That's good news Pete.
What does your schematic sell for ? what size ? what is it on ?
Possible to show some portion here as a sample ?
Thank you
Rory
peteyd
The cost of a schematic is $40-$60. I can't remember the exact number.

Everything is labelled with colouring and tags. Its laid out as if the harness is flat in front of you. By far the easiest diagrams I have ever had to read.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

mepstein
QUOTE(peteyd @ Sep 21 2021, 08:47 AM) *

Everything is labelled with colouring and tags. Its laid out as if the harness is flat in front of you. By far the easiest diagrams I have ever had to read.

agree.gif that looks like something even I could follow. smilie_pokal.gif
gereed75
wow. that has some detail - terminal numbers, colors, termination depictions, connectors all in one. and no wires "cross over". Must have taken a lot of time to compile and organize.

Different approach and like any technical drawing, would take some time and use to become intuitive, but really interesting.

Once you get used to it, I could see where it would be very practical, especially for checking continuity.
C1Stolli
Hello there -
I am new here and glad to found you!

From Germany I am doing electrical repairs for some Porsche specialized shops. Actually it is a repair of wiring harness /6 71 USA-Model.

Holding an original black and white schematic in my hand (lent from the shop who needs my help) the explanation for the electrical consumers I am missing.

Sorry - my English will appear to be worse but if anybody understands my intention, then I hope to get a scan of that second page with those consumers.

Best Regards
Mario

BTW: I love every Porsche - if it is old enough smile.gif
C1Stolli
For those of you who may be interested to what I got from the shop:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(C1Stolli @ Jan 5 2022, 11:24 AM) *
Sorry - my English will appear to be worse but if anybody understands my intention, then I hope to get a scan of that second page with those consumers.

@C1Stolli
Mario, lass mich wissen ob du hilfe brauchst mit Übersetzungen.

Und danke für die Kopie von dem Schaltplan!
beerchug.gif

PS: welcome.png
Maltese Falcon
welcome.png willkommen Mario
marty914.jpg
C1Stolli
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2022, 11:45 PM) *

QUOTE(C1Stolli @ Jan 5 2022, 11:24 AM) *

@C1Stolli
Mario, lass mich wissen ob du hilfe brauchst mit Übersetzungen.

Und danke für die Kopie von dem Schaltplan!
beerchug.gif

PS: welcome.png

Danke fürs Angebot - mit dem Lesen sollte es bei mir ausreichend klappen. Aber herzlichen Dank für das Angebot!!!

Was ich benötige ist halt die "zweite Seite" mit der Aufschlüsselung der Verbraucher...

Beste Grüsse aus 78582 Balgheim
Mario
gerakroo
QUOTE(ZIPSIXR @ Sep 19 2021, 03:31 PM) *

After reviewing these posts, let me clear some things up.
Art Zapf is still around, that is me. I took down my website because sales did not justify the costs.

Regarding the SIX wire schematics
When I researched this subject in the early 1980s, I found two Six schematics: A European version and a US version with a diagnostic box. Neither one represented the cars we have in the US. It is why I decided to make them.
There are no others worldwide to my knowledge unless it is a copy of mine.

If you look to Kroon, his wire harnesses were built to my schematic - I sold one to him.

I have sold these world wide for you the 914-6 owners as I no longer have my six, sadly.
I made the Black and white first and it is made to fit fan folded in the factory manual.
The color was made before computers using graphic tape. It took years before I could get it color copied and it a digital database.
I have plenty of B&W, sadly down to one each of the gloss and encapsulated ones. There are expensive to print, plus my time place orders, pick them up and ship. With sales down to one or two a year, it may not be worth my time and money to print enough in volume to give you better prices. The way of the world.

I am looking for the right person or entity to pass this database to for it be available in the future for the SIX community, but a price - I think I earned it.
I can be reached by email: arthurzapf@gmail.com

After reading this post and all the comments, I would like to respond to this. We sell 914-6 looms for many years. We indeed bought one of your (beautiful) diagrams Art but its not fair to simply assume that we "copied" yours. We were already producing and selling complete 914-6 sets before we bought one of your diagrams. We measured every single wire and every single connection one by one. That was certainly not easy and took a lot, a lot of time. Presenting the drawing as the harness is laid out in front of you is also not new, i already did this from the very first (early 912) drawing when i started our business from behind our kitchen table at home. The drawing for a Europe 914-6 version is also quite different to US and we have both versions available for each year. We deliver our diagrams only together with a new harness. Because we have been producing so many wiring looms for so long, we know all the differences. A 70's harness is different from a 71, and a 72 is quite different too. As with other models, these differences are often not shown on factory drawings. You only learn these differences by working with them every day. So I find it strange if someone offers a "complete 914-6 wiring harness" without stating what year it is and whether it is a US or ROW version. Over the years we have documented all these differences in drawings and wiring lists. We also never had the intention of selling any electrical schematics. The aim was only to simplify the connection of the wiring harness supplied by us.
In short, if you buy a 1971 914-6 US wiring harness set from us, you will receive a 1971 914-6 US set, complete with the correct engine wiring harness, wiper harness, dash harness and of course we also supply the correct drawing. Our family business originated from a pure passion for classic Porsches. We want to deliver the best and original product for a reasonable price. We have been doing this with great success for years and we will certainly continue to do so. Our technical support department is always available (free of charge) to help other Porsche enthusiasts. So even if someone has a technical question, feel free to send us an email. (info@kroonwireharnesses.com) We always try to answer these within 24 hours.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
ZIPSIXR
Art Zapf here - the schematics are still available, only I just sold the rights to reproduce and sell them to the six community. Time to pass the torch.
If you need a 914-6 color schematic, contact Peter Fazekas of StuttCar Service in Pasadena, CA
626-321-2736

zoomCat
QUOTE(peteyd @ Sep 21 2021, 07:47 AM) *

The diagram isn’t listed on the website. Would it be available for purchase by phone? If so, what’s the price?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 8 2016, 04:53 PM) *

That is not a factory diagram. It came from an aftermarket repair manual. I have a copy of that manual on the shelf here at the house. My copy of the wiring diagram is not scribbled upon like the one on Pelican, and it is much clearer. And yes, I offered a copy of it to Pelican years ago. They didn't take me up on it.

I can't check my electronic copies, as my file server is offline due to a failed power supply, and Amazon hasn't delivered the replacement yet.

Clay
mepstein
QUOTE(zoomCat @ Jan 5 2024, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Sep 21 2021, 07:47 AM) *

The diagram isn’t listed on the website. Would it be available for purchase by phone? If so, what’s the price?

Call RD. Ask for Pete. He’s always been good to the 914 crowd.
930cabman
How different from the /4 can it be?
mepstein
QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 5 2024, 02:09 PM) *

Not much from an early 4. Mostly ignition switch and windshield washer.
And of course the engine harness is completely different.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2024, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jan 5 2024, 02:09 PM) *

Not much from an early 4. Mostly ignition switch and windshield washer.
And of course the engine harness is completely different.

The connection to the relay board is different, there is no wiring for the wiper motor other than a power wire, there is wiring for an electric washer pump, the turn signal wiring is different because the six uses a 911 turn signal switch, the headlight wiring is different because the six does not use a high beam relay, and as previously mentioned, the ignition switch is completely different.

There is enough stuff different to make it require a completely different wiring diagram.

ClayPerrine
For everyone - Here is the same diagram as Pelican has, but not all scribbled up. I have also included the wiring diagram legend and the cover of the manual it came from.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

If anyone needs them, I have extremely high resolution scans (the first page is 32mb) of these diagrams. Contact me if you want them.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.