Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing stub axle from hub
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RustyWa
So I got the 30mm nuts removed from my stub axles. The half shaft on the passenger side came out of the hub easy as cake but, the drivers side will not budge. I've beat the hell out of it with a 3 lb. hammer and brass drift, soaked it with PB blaster, put the nut on backwards and beat on it. Nothing has worked. sad.gif I would like to get it out without destroying the bearing.

I've got an air hammer with a pointed chisel I've been thinking about trying, by placing in the hole in the center of the stub axle. I'm afraid it might mushroom out the stub axle.

Any suggestions? I need some moral support.
Joe Bob
PB blaster...heat, wait a day...come back.....shoot it with a .357...

The gun part won't help but will make ya feel better...

Keep soaking it...you might have to remove the whole arm and press it out.
markb
Sounds like you're doing it right. It just may take some time (hours, days, weeks wink.gif ) until the sucker comes loose. Bondo & I wound up using a puller to push a stub out. Keep at it.
RustyWa
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 21 2005, 09:30 PM)
The gun part won't help but will make ya feel better...

Keep soaking it...you might have to remove the whole arm and press it out.

True, true.

I'm planning on removing the arm anyways, so maybe pressing it out is the answer.
SpecialK
Yeah, I did mine on the bench, no press required. I think that some of the "ass" of the maul is absorbed by the rubber swingarm bushings. Get it on a solid surface and you'll have better luck (or at least a better angle for beating the hell out of it.... smash.gif ). Stick with the brass drift for whipping it into submission, I'd almost bet that your chisel and air hammer will have some ill effects on the stub axle....especially if it pops out of the divot pinch.gif . That said, after a good douching with PB, a little vibration set up by some "mild" hammering with the pneumatic might be beneficial in getting the PB where it needs to be, reducing the overall amount of whoopin' required with the BFH.

If it's that stuck, the odds of getting the stub out without damage to the bearing are not good. Might as well bite the bullet (.357) and but a new pair.
sj914
I used a bigger hammer while it was on the car.
Eric_Shea
MAPP torch the piss out of it and PB Blaster it some more.
Cap'n Krusty
You've already damaged the bearing by beating on the assembly, so whack away on it. Stub axles are plentiful .........
The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
agree.gif I've got an extra if you need it.
URY914
Pull like crazy on the axle from the inside. biggrin.gif

OK, maybe not.

Bigger BFH will work.

Paul
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 22 2005, 09:06 AM)
You've already damaged the bearing by beating on the assembly, so whack away on it. Stub axles are plentiful .........
The Cap'n

Yep, bearing is toast now anyway. I use a slide hammer when I have to. Works great. smash.gif
RustyWa
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Apr 22 2005, 09:28 AM)
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 22 2005, 09:06 AM)
You've already damaged the bearing by beating on the assembly, so whack away on it.  Stub axles are plentiful .........  
The Cap'n

Yep, bearing is toast now anyway. I use a slide hammer when I have to. Works great. smash.gif

ack!
RustyWa
Ok got it out. I used a little more hammering, PB Blaster and some heat. Now just to add a bearing to the list.

I'll sure be putting anti-sieze on the stub axles before putting them back in.

Thanks all.
airsix
Sorry I didn't get here in time... Anyway, next time go to Schucks* and for about $3 you can rent a hub puller. You attach it's fingers to the hub with lug bolts and then just turn the center bolt to push out the stub axle. For another $3 you can rent their slide-hammer which you can then attach to the hub puller (after removing the center bolt) and three good whacks will have the hub pulled too. With these two tools you can have the stub and hub out in just a minute or two.

-Ben M.

*for you non-Washingtonians that's our FLAPS chain.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.