Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foglight LED bulb?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
Has anyone found as suitable Ba20s socket LED bulb to use in the foglights?
DRPHIL914
popcorn[1].gif
I asked the same question on the thread for the 914rubber LED headlights but didn't get a response.

for the 75-76 ones I would think someone has done this?
eric9144
Been hunting for these for a while--to the point where I'd even considered a bulk buy out of China, but dealing with China wasn't working out so well so I gave up --last piece of my LED puzzle popcorn[1].gif
Mikey914
Let me see what I can find. I have a set of these I need to install so why not.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 9 2016, 05:19 PM) *

Let me see what I can find. I have a set of these I need to install so why not.

I got one from a local FLAPS. I can pull them and see what we used. The light pattern was an issue as the small reflector bounces the light back to the big reflector and the LED was more concentrated then the original bulb.
913B
Post #8018 for $14 for the pair, I bought a set too, yeah but it doesn't look OE ? but what the hell it's only $14 for LED and no wiring upgrade needed. first.gif confused24.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...774&st=8000
Mikey914
Well I'm bringng in the Late ones
falcor75
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Nov 10 2016, 12:37 AM) *

Post #8018 for $14 for the pair, I bought a set too, yeah but it doesn't look OE ? but what the hell it's only $14 for LED and no wiring upgrade needed. first.gif confused24.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...774&st=8000

I'd prefer something that can be used with the original glass. Yeah I'm picky. biggrin.gif
eric9144
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 9 2016, 09:57 PM) *

I'd prefer something that can be used with the original glass. Yeah I'm picky. biggrin.gif

agree.gif beerchug.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 10 2016, 01:57 AM) *

I'd prefer something that can be used with the original glass. Yeah I'm picky.

Does the glass on the stock foglight come off from the reflector? I was thinking of making an LED board to fit inside the cavity and use the original glass.
Cairo94507
Jerry I am in. Yes the fog light lens comes off the factory lights. This is one of the last exterior lights I need for my car. Wait....did you already make the warts? If not, I still need them. If you made them, I likely have them. This is what happens when a build spreads out over years. I have forgotten some of the parts I have already bought. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 14 2016, 12:14 AM) *

QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 10 2016, 01:57 AM) *

I'd prefer something that can be used with the original glass. Yeah I'm picky.

Does the glass on the stock foglight come off from the reflector? I was thinking of making an LED board to fit inside the cavity and use the original glass.

You da man! Count me in too!
Mikey914
I think the reflective dish makes the part. A flat board would not be that effective as it would not be focused.

I'm also working on new seals for these.

I'll post picks with the LED bulbs installed.
morgan_harwell
SOT
My non-stock 914 driving lights use H2 bulbs.
Has anyone here found a LED replacement for H2 bulbs?
Spoke
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 14 2016, 03:00 AM) *

I think the reflective dish makes the part. A flat board would not be that effective as it would not be focused.

I'm also working on new seals for these.

I'll post picks with the LED bulbs installed.

Is this the 75-76 fog light? The early round one is the one I was thinking of. If I did these I would investigate using surface mount LEDs like Cree's XBD series.

The XBD series are so bright the datasheet has a warning about eye injury:
Vision Advisory Claim
WARNING: Do not look at exposed lamp in operation. Eye injury can result. See the LED Eye Safety application note at
www.cree.com/xlamp_app_notes/led_eye_safety.

Using the XBD with a focusing lens like Carlco's Luxeon 10mm 10412 would give a Full Width Half Maximum (FWHM; 1/2 power angle) of about 18 degrees. This is 9 degrees off of center in all directions. There are tighter lenses available as weel

For comparison, a lamp that was installed by pbanders claims 30 degree FWHM.

LEDs From Amazon

I used the XBDs on the first working 914 LED brake board which are in my car now. Here's a couple of pics from the first time I powered them. They were dangerously bright and I ended up cutting down the current from 300ma to 45ma for each LED.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
eric9144
Found a shop in Australia that makes an LED BA20s for the early style (round) fog lights, ordering today, will let you guys know how it goes.
Mikey914
Let us know I tried a few and the bulb didn't fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.