Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 headers - what works best?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
Hey V8 guys -
I need to get headers for my LS3 conversion. I'm thinking about trying the stock Corvette headers (pictured) as the collector is a bit father forward, giving me some additional room.
A buddy of mine did an SBC swap and had a heck of a time getting the right fit with standard headers.

So... what works, what should be avoided? confused24.gif

Thanks!
Chris
Mike Bellis
Don't they hake a tube shorty header for the same car? Cast headers usually suck.
v82go
I am running long tube F-body headers on my LS6 (C5) conversion, they are stainless now ceramic coated. I bought them off of ebay for not much $$.
Not sure if they are LS3 compatible.

Bob
cwpeden
Just google SBC Shorty headers: https://www.google.ca/search?q=shorty+heade...ers&imgrc=_
andys
I favor the OEM headers, as they come with heat shields and don't tend to leak like aftermarket headers. Those LS3 (Vette) headers are what I recommended to a friend, as the exit points in a favorable direction (some LSx headers point straight towards the axles), so that center exit is good. They support 400+HP, and are surprisingly light. For my own LS1 swap, I used LS6 Vette headers. See post #54 here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...04625&st=40

Andys
moorepower
On Youtube right now there is a Dyno test with manifolds, midlength and long tube. They are testing an LS. Sorry I don't have a link, but it's an easy search.
tygaboy
Awesome - thanks to each of you! Seems, as with most thing, I have options. The exhaust routing I'm planning likely benefits from the stock manifold set up.

And here's that YouTube comparo vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7_lSU3D0jw

Long tubes would be great but I don't think I have room. I'll post details in my Build Off Challenge thread as I get to the exhaust.

Thanks again! The World comes through, as always. aktion035.gif
whitetwinturbo
I think you may be happier with "real" even length headers. However, mine are "long" format which creates problems with axle clearance. Shorter allows more room to get above or below the transaxle.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
QUOTE(v82go @ Nov 11 2016, 01:07 PM) *

I am running long tube F-body headers on my LS6 (C5) conversion, they are stainless now ceramic coated. I bought them off of ebay for not much $$.
Not sure if they are LS3 compatible.

Bob

Hi Bob,
Do you have a build thread/more pictures of your car?
BIGKAT_83
I used a 4th gen F-Body cast manifolds. The LS3 Vette would be my choice now.
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
After viewing that video (link above) and am leaning toward the cast LS3 vette manifolds: good performance and ease of fitment.
It's not like I'm looking for absolute maximum power (blasphemous, I know).

Thanks again, folks!
Cracker
Usually they do but these don't...my old LS2 made an honest 515 CHP on the cast C6 manifolds years ago. Cheap and easy Chris!

Chris - Below is a picture of how I ran my exhaust with those manifolds - easy and straight forward.

Tony

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 11 2016, 02:34 PM) *

Don't they hake a tube shorty header for the same car? Cast headers usually suck.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
I think I will also go the LS3 exhaust manifold route. They have a muffler which has 4 ports, two inlets and two outlets. Does this act as a H pipe? I'm not after max horsepower but rather a quiet ride with no or little droning.
Is it better to run all pipes into one muffler, or run mufflers on each branch and keep each side independent?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.