Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intro and Decision to Ponder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJZero1
Good afternoon, World.

Quick intro from Colorado Springs. I go by EJ.

Spent the better part of 15 years building and driving air-cooled VW's, and enjoyed the hell out of it. Somewhere around 2009, I got the urge for a little more get up and go (and heat). Bought an 89 Porsche 944. A few years later, picked up an 86 944 Turbo that I've modified extensively. It's a loud, rough beast that does what I built it up to do quite nicely. That being said, I've started to feel the pull back to air-cooled-ness.

Talked to a buddy of mine who owns a local European performance shop and told him I was looking for an air cooled project. He offered me a deal I felt was worth a shot...

I am the proud new owner of 2 1970 914's!

Car 1: Absoulutely and completely disassembled, and on a dollie. Completely stripped of paint, with shoddy patches evident in various places. On the bright side, it wouldn't present too much in the way of surprises in terms of body work, as it's all pretty evident already. Comes with boxes and boxes of parts, and I would consider it in the neighborhood of 75% complete. Missing interior, hood, windshield and other cats and dogs.

Car 2: Pretty complete roller with some apparent body work under the paint in places. Missing drivers door. Front and rear trunk floors look solid, especially for a 46 year-old car. NO TITLE!

Package came with a 1.8L carburated motor (obviously not correct for the cars) and transmission.

Objective: Build a nice driver, with little concern for originality or "correctness" in terms of "that 1970 wouldn't have come with blah blah blah".

Original idea going into this was to rebuild the tub, using the roller as a donor, but since the roller "appears" to be fairly solid in it's own right the question I submit is this:

Would you stick with Plan A and rebuild the "no surprises" tub, knowing that it needs welding and you've never touched a welder in your life?

Or

Seriously consider diverting your attention to Plan B, the roller, being tempted by a not too shabby car already resting on 4 wheels, but knowing you'll likely be devastated by all of the morale crushing surprises you're bound to find as you start digging into it.

I know, I know... My own choice to make... Not enough info provided... Different strokes for different folks... Just throw me a bone or two, and maybe I'll get some rationale I haven't considered yet.

In closing, just want to add how incredibly cool the vibe is around here! I'm a member on other automotive forums, and this is by far a much more relaxed and helpful gathering. I look forward to being a part of it.Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
sb914
You came t the right place lots of knowledge and welcome.png
SteveL
welcome.png
This will be a fun one to watch!
More pics please!
Claus Graf
We need more info (pictures) of the longitudinals, hell hole and floor pans to know what you're up against.

Do the cars have collision damage?

This is what the "good" longitudinal looked like when I got my 74 914.

Click to view attachment

I have more pictures of the rebuild in the Pelican Parts website.

Regards

Claus
bdstone914
welcome.png
mgp4591
A more thorough evaluation of the cars is needed to find out where you really stand so far as effort and expense. The welding issue isn't a huge deal - you can practice on your own or take a short course at your local high school or tech center for cheap. Any questions about particulars to these cars are all here in the archives but any number of folks will step up to answer questions, usually without flaming you...
I think you've come to the right place, and... welcome.png
EJZero1
Thanks for all the welcomes!

Attached a few pics from a dark garage. Will provide more later, but in the interest of providing more info, it's a start.

No apparent collision damage to either car. A few pics of the passenger long on the tub, with patch at the rear. The tub also has filler at the base of the sail on the passenger side, over a sheet metal patch that had been riveted in.

Included pics of front and rear trunks of the roller.

Keep the responses coming!
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
welcome.png Hey, you probably have sufficient parts and repair panels to make one good 914. With your VW background, you should be comfortable and right at home. Welcome and good luck. Pictures keep us happy.
EdwardBlume
What month and year were your '70s born?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 13 2016, 07:22 PM) *

Oh and welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
flat4guy
Welcome and I say make 1 good one from all the parts. Good luck.....
mbseto
I'd run with the titled car on the dolly. One, no hassle of getting it titled, and two, even if you go with the other one it will eventually be in the same state so you're a little ahead with the non-roller.

Since you said "appears" to be solid, it sounds like maybe you haven't removed the rockers or stripped the tar from the interior. That's when I really found out was I was in for with mine, and it only takes maybe two hours of work to get where you can see what you're up against. I'd be willing to bet that after you take a really close look at the roller, restoring the car on the dolly will be a more appealing option.

Good luck and have fun!
EJZero1
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 13 2016, 08:22 PM) *

Per the door jam tag, the roller was born March of 70. Not sure about the tub, as that sticker has long since been sanded into oblivion.

Are there any other indicators that might point to a production date on these cars?
Andyrew
It only takes a couple days to pull the parts from the roller to put on the known chassis.

That being said I would see about titling the roller. If you can get that squared away and have a legal car.

Here is what I would do.

1. Title the roller, Inspect the chassis for critical rust that will keep you from driving it on the road.

2. Get a running drivetrain under the roller and get a running car going. Screw cosmetics or the body on the roller, and put your focus into rebuilding the rolling pieces as well getting the engine running well

3. Once that is done put your focus on the body on the stand, Clean and inspect it. Learn how to weld. Learn to paint and paint the car inside and out.

4. Once done, transfer everything from the roller over and clean and rebuild it as your transfering it over.

5. Repeat process with roller chassis smile.gif
EJZero1
^ Now that's an idea I hadn't considered before.

Will need to figure out how to go about getting a title here in Colorado. I've heard the process is not a quick (or cheap) one...
76-914
Where in CO are you? We have a lot of members there.
EJZero1
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 17 2016, 05:02 PM) *

Where in CO are you? We have a lot of members there.

Colorado Springs. Anyone close?
Localboy808
I'd go with the best tub since that's where most of the work would be. The. Just put one solid car together. I'm An air cooled guy myself and am working on my first 914 myself. Having a blast with it! I'm sure you will too!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.