Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Short shifter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
rgalla9146
WTB Weltmeister (or ?) short shift lever for a side shift trans.
Only need the lever with the lengthened lower part attached or the lower part separately.
TIA
Rory
gms
By now you have probably realized what a rare and coveted piece of Porsche history these parts represent. I am willing to trade you even up for a set of Factory GT flares.
Click to view attachment
toolguy
Cut 3 inches off the top of the stock shifter. Does the same thing.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(toolguy @ Nov 19 2016, 06:25 PM) *

Cut 3 inches off the top of the stock shifter. Does the same thing.

Curious you should say that. Great idea.
For me the lever is already too far away so three inches off will only make the situation worse.
I need the seat all the way back.
The car in question is a hotrod anyway.
I'll shorten the lever and move the whole shift console to the rear ! Walla !
Or some combination of the above
toolguy
I have found {on the 914's I've had} that there is enough spline on the shift rod adjustment to slide the rod out which makes the lever come rearward. For me it was having to lean forward to push the long stock lever into R-2-4th Cutting the lever and sliding the spline fixed that. .
914forme
Also if you use the Tangerine shift adjuster you can get a 20% reduction in throw with the stock shifter. Added bonus you get more precision adjustment of the shifting so you can tun it up.

You could also have a bar splined and shortened if you wanted to pull it back a few inches.

Other options to recurve the shifter.

Or drop an extension handle on it and pull it back. Takes away from the stock look though.

I would think you could bend the shifter just a bit and no one would ever know until they got in and not the shifter in a farther back position than you wanted.

Trail and error method.

Rais the front of the shifter base with a spacer. Washers work good for testing. This brings the shifter back toward you a bit. Extend the rod out as fat as you can in the coupler and be safe. Rotates the rod back towards you more. Moving the knob back. And then make sure you can still get to R 2 4. More than likely you will run out of shifter movement in the ball and cup before you do rod.

If you need more rod, lengthen it. Once you have the spacers set. Measure the total stack, get a spacer made. I would gladly make one for your Minilites poke.gif

av-943.gif

The spacer is easy, gladly make you one if you need me to. You will just need longer bolts. You could also raise the back if you need the shifter up to make up for a cut in length. I don't think you can make up for a 3" cut though. WeltMeister kit might have been 1/2 -1 inch max. I have not had once since the early 2000s

You could also machine the shifter housing to pull it back, tilt the socket, and then raise the front and rears etc.... Much deeper discussion.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.